Great Spined Dragon Wings

Ant4812

I'm lucky enough to own a great spined dragon that I'm contemplating putting paint on at some near point in the future. I was wondering if anyone might have, or be able to point me in the direction of a 1:1 scale scan of the template for the wing membranes?

Harry

Never had the templates. Just put the bones where I wanted them and made green stuff to fit the gaps. I am pretty sure the templates would not fit the way I spread the wings. But my thread is here if you want to see what I did.

Orlygg

I didn't use the template either. I spread the wings my way and uses very thin plasticard to support them. Covered the lot in greenstuff for texture.

Harry

You can defo get a more dynamic pose by spreading the wings your way rather than having two identical wings made to measure to fit the templates.

Asslessman

I actually saw a Great spined with wings I suspect were made from the template but it looked too flat (from what I remember from 15 yeras ago) Harry'sor Orlygg's way are the way to go imho.

Plus trial and error on such a model is not something to be afraid of... it's not like if this model was sacred or anything ;).

Ant4812

I've seen them both and they're magnificent! I was contemplating using cartridge paper or blotting paper with the grain well broken, wetted with watered PVA; either that or the heavy foil you find around the tops of wine bottles, if I can find large enough sheets of it (please don't mention toothpaste tubes - I haven't seen a metal tube of anything here in Australia for many years). I can get pads of cartridge paper from the local office supply place. I'll probably just use the trial & error approach to fitting the membranes (lots of dry runs).
I've a nice old Elric from the Elric boxset, the one where he's wearing his dragon armour. Before I paint the dragon I plan on modifying him slightly, arranging it so I can sit him on the dragon as a rider or leave him off if I just want to use the dragon by itself. I don't have a Melnibonean or Elf army - I just think it would look cool.

BTW there's a very nice one on eBay right now - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/190907108317 ... 1438.l2649

Asslessman

Wow, Getting Elric on top of that Dragon is just the perfect idea! (you should use rare earth magnets for that) If you ask kindly around here, I'm sure some good willed fellow could post you a tomato purée tube or 2 alongside a nice postcard. :grin:

Ant4812

Thanks for those pics. Very nice, particularly the 2nd. dragon master! I might have to delay surgery and keep the mini for a trade item.

Back