Primer question

General questions & discussion involving all things painting, modeling & photography. 

Moderator: Moderators

Post Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:42 pm

Primer question

This forum, being the residence of some of the best miniature painters in the world, seems the best place to ask this question.......I'm prepping my night goblins for painting but I'm wondering which colour to use as the primer. Black, white or maybe even grey.

Any and all thoughts and suggestions appreciated

Thanks

Post Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:52 pm

Re: Primer question

Deepest black, like their hearts !

Paul/Golgfag1
How can I ever have enough stuff, I don't need.

https://golgfags.blogspot.co.uk/

Post Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:06 pm

Depends on your painting style. For night goblins perhaps black would be best as they are pretty grimy things so a duller finish may be good. I normally use grey since, if I use black, I find it difficult to see what I'm painting. You could overcome that with a quick grey drybrush I suppose which would also give you a sort of built in highlight for your painting.

Post Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:02 pm

I was thinking grey might be a good 'middle ground', firstly for the very reason stated by jon but secondly as I think it will help the greens to 'pop a little more than if on a black base.

Paul - as ever you are totally right....but I'll leave the manifestation of their black hearts to the battlefield :D

Post Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:33 am

Karakvarn1 wrote:Paul - as ever you are totally right....but I'll leave the manifestation of their black hearts to the battlefield :D

In my home that response - is just, so, wrong :lol: :lol: :lol:

Paul
How can I ever have enough stuff, I don't need.

https://golgfags.blogspot.co.uk/

Post Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:27 am

Golgfag1 wrote:
Karakvarn1 wrote:Paul - as ever you are totally right....but I'll leave the manifestation of their black hearts to the battlefield :D

In my home that response - is just, so, wrong :lol: :lol: :lol:

Paul

Lol :D which bit? That you are right? Or the battlefield bit?

If the former....amen to that - nice to know I'm not the onlynonewho is wrong in their own home......even when they are right!!!! :? :lol:

Post Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:35 pm

Really good question as I'm in the middle of night gobbo painting.

I originally chose a purple spray for their cloaks and robes, which proved more hassle than it was worth.

Then I chose a dark green spray, which I found worked best, as it gave their skin the base dark coat I was after, and gave their robes a nice dark base for the deep purples and night blues I was after.

Post Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:26 pm

I dont use undecoat, whats the point? Just paint the models base coat, washes, etc etc.

Return to Painting & Modeling