Stripping Figures

General questions & discussion involving all things painting, modeling & photography. 

Moderator: Moderators

Post Wed May 23, 2018 9:34 am

Re: Stripping Figures

This is just my two cents but having been stripping minis recently on buying a lot of painted lead minis I am using Simple Green.

If you are not in a rush and want to avoid all those corrosive smelly dangerous strippers, then I recommend SG. I usually have the minis bath in it for a week or more and then take out the minis, out them into a metal dish and pour boiling hot water on them to soak for about 30 mins. Then scrub them using detergent and an old tooth brush. After that give them a going over with a wire brush which I use as an attachment on my hobby drill.
That helps to remove any stubborn paint and gives them a good polish at the same time.

It has been interesting hearing other peoples suggestions and there are some new products for me to try in the future.

I even clean my airbrush by bathing it in the SG for a week or so. It doesn't seem to damage the rubber seals or anything, and it comes up shinny and new and clean.

Post Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:42 pm

Recently bought an ultrasonic cleaner. I use it and clean spirit (water based white spirit) couple of cycles in the bath and the paint basically falls off. On some detail it sometimes needs a wee scrub with a tooth brush but apart from that it’s very effective. The only minis I have had issue on are the ones that were primed with Halfords car primer back in the day. Even then a bit of a soak for a day or two and it comes off. It also tends to take glue and filler out too.

If your tempted to try it please bear in mind that generally the ultrasonic cleaners are for jewellery or surgical items so are often very small. Mine can only take about 10 x 28mm minis. Large vehicles need split before going in.

Always remember to degas the fluid first. It’s a separate cycle on the cleaner.

Also, it tends to slightly tarnish metal minis but a bit of scrub and the come up grand.

Post Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:33 am

I've been having a ton of problems with my ultrasonic cleaner; it seems to be creating instant lead rot in miniatures from all sorts of ages and manufacturers. Recently cast miniatures, old miniatures, from differnet companies, all seem to be coming out with problems; either they've got grey, powdery coatings that are hard to remove and leave pitting or they just seem to crumble.

It's a 120w power one, which was recommended to me by a friend, so I don't know what's going on with it. I'm cleaning at 30 minute intervals at about 50 degrees c.

Post Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:35 pm

Will check what power mine is but it’s just a small one. I am also only doing small cycles (2 x 8 min) and that’s normally enough if I have soaked them overnight before hand.

I have had the effect you describe above but it’s seems to just be a residue/coating left behind by the cavitation process. With metal minis I tend to give them a gentle brush with a small wire brush (it’s also quite soft for a wire brush. It’s harder than a toothbrush but softer than a proper wire brush) after that they get a good scrub with washing up liquid and a toothbrush. Ready to go.

Post Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:26 am

Berkut666 wrote:Will check what power mine is but it’s just a small one. I am also only doing small cycles (2 x 8 min) and that’s normally enough if I have soaked them overnight before hand.

I have had the effect you describe above but it’s seems to just be a residue/coating left behind by the cavitation process. With metal minis I tend to give them a gentle brush with a small wire brush (it’s also quite soft for a wire brush. It’s harder than a toothbrush but softer than a proper wire brush) after that they get a good scrub with washing up liquid and a toothbrush. Ready to go.

Thanks for that; I'll pick one up and give it a brush to see how it goes.

Post Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:51 pm

I had another go with the ultrasonic today; it's working fine on some miniatures, but my Mirliton halflings really don't like it. Most come out alright, but some just begin to crumble and become pockmarked on one side. I'm going to just strip the rest with the normal methods. Going to try giving the worst afflicted areas a covering of PVA to try and hide the damage before priming.
Previous

Return to Painting & Modeling