Quickshade and Citadel Paints

Before moving to my next set of lead (1000pts of Dark Elves) I've got a couple of Newhammer plastic high elf spearmen that I'm going to paint up to test out a few new techniques. One of the things I'm going to try is using Quickshade.

Does anybody have any comments and experiences of using Quickshade over citadel paints rather than the army painter paints ?

Thanks.

A.

Naagruz

Quickshade is just a dip, so treat it accordingly. Overpriced wood stain if you will. ;)

The paint type & manufacturer doesn't matter so long as your dip isn't going to solve your basecoat. I'd recommend brushing the dip on & using a brush on lacquer to dull the shine as well. Spray is just going to be wasteful & you will miss spots.

Lighter layers over a white base followed by additional detail & highlighting makes for the best results. HERE is a glimpse of what my process looks like, but there are oodles of techniques out there (Some involving power tools!).

After Cheetor's recommendations I tried the ink wash style ones and they are much better than the dip. I tried the dip and was less then impressed with what it did to my finely painted empire soldiers.

Soft Tone, Strong Tone and Dark Tone are all excellent in my book. There are many techniques you might use but I use the following:

1. Paint base colour
2. Wash or shade to taste with the Quickshade
3. Paint some small amount of base colour on to clean up the look
4. Then highlight to your hearts content

Don't forget that the Army Painter site has some good info:

http://www.thearmypainter.com/gallery.p ... oId=100001

mbh

The key seems to be choosing the correct (light/bright) base colors. Some look really good dipped but some look like dirty bath water.

zoggin-eck

I see no reason why using it over citadel paints would be any different. As said, be careful using them since you can easily ruin a good model!

I tired the Quickshade pots as a substitute for the equivalent Citadel washes discontinued a year or two ago and haven't looked back. I use them over four different manufacturer's paints with no problem, as you'll see:

citadel_vs_warpaints.jpg

citadel_vs_warpaints02.jpg

citadel_vs_warpaints03.jpg

Snickit

I'd agree with all of the above, the dips aren't great but the inks are excellent.

My Elves have been done with Soft Tone (and a fair bit of the painted Empire stuff) here

http://snickitstail.blogspot.co.uk/2015 ... attle.html

and my Escher

http://snickitstail.blogspot.co.uk/2015 ... print.html

I tend to use Strong Tone for more evil armies so my more recently painted Skaven have been done with it.

My painting style is messy and I'm too lazy to go for large amounts of highlights yet (I may go back and highlight in my older years when the lead pile has been smashed........................... who am I kidding, it'll never be smashed). Up to you if you think the inking works but I love them.

I tend to mainly just use Army Painter paints these days (mostly as the courier they use has a depot down the road from me so if I'm not in it's no hassle to pick the parcel up) but do mix in a few citadels and old humbrol acrylics. Not seen any difference on the application to different paint ranges.

so Inks good, dip bad.

I've found Quickshade Dip works equally well with Citadel or Army Painter paints. They're both acrylic so I don't suppose it makes much difference!

Contrary to the other posters, I favour the dip to the inks. I like the Dark Tone best, as it offers a high contrast look which I'm a huge fan of. It's a bit messy but the smell is beautiful and I love the effects.

My favourite painting method is:

1. Prime
2. Basecoat
3. Drybrush
4. Dip
5. Matt Varnish (using Army Painter paint-on matt varnish -- not spray).

I'm really happy with the results:

2016_05_26_09_39_49.jpg

2016_05_29_16_33_40.jpg

Mithras

I'm a fan of the dip as well! I'm not a great painter and used to get very frustrated when I couldn't get stuff to look right and then give up. I know the result is still far from perfect compared to people that really know how to use a brush but for me dipping has really helped me improve my models and speed up the painting at the same time.

Here some examples of my beastmen that were dipped (you can see more pictures following the link below):

Some things that I learned and might be useful to anyone trying out dipping:
- Apply the dip generously with a brush to have more control. Let it sit for a minute and then remove excess blobs of dip with a spare brush
- I always use white primer to help the mini's not getting TOO dark
- i do some basic highlighting before the dip and a bit afterwards to re-highlight
- experiment a bit with the basecoat colors. It's usually better to use a color one (or 2) shades lighter than usual coz the dip will make it look like a darker color
- the dip I use (strong tone) works best on brownish/reddish/natural colors (so perfect for my beastmen!). Grey is a color I couldn't really make look right with the strong tone dip (dark tone might be better for that but I've never used it)

Back