I need to dissolve glue

urion

So, I've got a problem. I have a lot of metal Nurglings that are glued onto round bases resin bases, but I want to take them off and put them on square bases, but they are so well glues that I can't get them off. What should I use to dissolve the glue? I have turpentine, mineral spirits and simple green. Would any of those work? I guess at worst I can saw through the top of the base and glue it onto a square base. I would normally just glue them onto a square base anyway, but the footprint of the round bases is larger than a 40mm square base and they are way too tall.

Blue in VT

Drop them in acetone and it will dissolve the glue and the base...:)

...warning...only do this if the figures are metal!

Cheers,

Blue

ardyer

I've read that you can freeze them and the glue will become very brittle and easy to break. This might be best if you want to save the bases. Anything that will dissolve glue will also dissolve resin.

Zhu Bajie

Can confirm that freezing two-part epoxy glue (Araldite) makes it brittle and easy to remove.

Dettol (pretty much the same as Simple Green) does seem to dissolve some glues - but can't say what ones.

Fimm McCool

Zhu Bajie":38upvbnu said:
Dettol (pretty much the same as Simple Green) does seem to dissolve some glues - but can't say what ones.

Most superglues and polystyrene cement. Although the Poly Cement goes goopy. :)

urion

Aaaand that's how you get Nurglings off a resin base.
vzzuwz.jpg

urion

So am I going to have to pick through a blob of melted resin to get my Nurglings out of a cup of acetone or does it just soften the resin?

ardyer

urion":2ysbty3p said:
So am I going to have to pick through a blob of melted resin to get my Nurglings out of a cup of acetone or does it just soften the resin?
Depends on how long you leave them in there. A short while might be enough to pry them off, longer will turn the resin into a blob.

urion

Thank you. I'll try that since I have so many to do. Cutting each apart isn't really an option.

Back