Sculpting and superglue?

Fimm McCool

Someone mentioned somewhere (maybe Faceache?) recently that Kev Adams used a layer of superglue over his models when sculpting. Can anyone shed any light as to why this might be? What effect/benefit was gained?

Asslessman

Fimm McCool":1wvah1o6 said:
Someone mentioned somewhere (maybe Faceache?) recently that Kev Adams used a layer of superglue over his models when sculpting. Can anyone shed any light as to why this might be? What effect/benefit was gained?

I think Sean mentionned that from talking to him at BOYL (not sure though), maybe he was trolling though :lol:

I weren't trolling :).

As far as I could make from his description he was using it to support the green stuff while working, rather than necessarily using an armature for everything.

I haven't really experimented yet but there seems to be an instant hardening effect from the stuff.

http://privateerpressforums.com/showthr ... Greenstuff

I would say the best thing to do Fimm is to get stuck in (if you can pardon the terribly lame pun).

Asslessman

theottovonbismark":2sx5b81y said:
I weren't trolling :).

I know, I was refering to Kev actually :lol:

Superglue actually does make quite a few things cure instantly like Epoxy glue, milliput and makes some really cool textures on PVA glue too.

Mason

Asslessman":25ggv9z7 said:
Superglue actually does make quite a few things cure instantly like Epoxy glue, milliput and makes some really cool textures on PVA glue too.

It certainly does, although I do not know about instant.

I use it to stick most things together if I want a quick bond that is stronger than superglue alone.

I would not suggest using to much in sculpting, though, as parts that are superglued tend to be the things that come apart during the casting process.

Asslessman

I converted a model 2 days ago and applied the greenstuff on a part where the superglue was still fresh thinking it would only make it adhere more to the wire base... the putty cured VERY rapidly making it a challenge to get the shape in place so that I would only have refining and texture to add later on. We're speaking a matter of seconds here.

I tried the super glue method on the lower layers of a build I'm working on and it worked a treat, i made sure it was dry before applying the next layer though as I was suspicious the effect JB describe might happen (thanks for confirming it mec ;) ).

When heated, superglue can vapourise. This means if you want to vulcanise your sculpt in a mould then the glue may cause problems. I have had this issue, where the glue went to liquid or gas while the mould was being made, and make some bad textures on the surface of the model. You could also have problems with the models exploding or cracking while making the mould.

Back