3D printed weapons

Scalene

I have been using Sketchup to make some weapons for 3D printing. I have just sent two copies of this sprue for printing by Shapeways and I should have them back before the end of the month. I am using the highest resolution material, which is called Frosted Ultra Detail. The cheaper “White Strong and Flexible” definitely has too much banding judging from the samples I’ve seen. The more you order, the cheaper it gets, because the base cost plus postage is 18 Euros, and then you pay proportionally to the volume on top of that – in this case approximately 5 Euros per sprue – so this isn’t a cheap way to get models, even if you have the CAD files ready to print. However, I think they will be neater than I could ever achieve in putty, and it will be exciting to see something I’ve computer modelled turning up in the physical world.

Once I get them back, I'll post some high-res photos so you can all see what the quality is like.
3d_weapons.jpg

axiom

I've been looking for decent Autoguns for ages - these look great. I'm interested to see the results!

Ah yes printed weapons. I am thinking perhaps a... lance/spear. An ornate end (a bit elf looking in style) and a hand about a third of the way up... That might be a good idea.

Scalene

Eight days after ordering them, my 3D weapons have arrived. I’ve painted them black, drybrushed them and taken photos. These are Frosted Ultra Detail from Shapeways. On the whole I’m pleased, they’ve come out the right size, the surface detail is good and they are slightly rough but acceptable. It will be interesting to see how they cast. If I get some more printed, I would make some of the smallest details a little larger and deeper cut/more prominent. The plastic is very hard and a bit brittle, but it takes the paint without trouble. I was a bit worried because it was noticeably greasy (and smelt faintly of almonds). I scrubbed it with washing up liquid and a toothbrush before painting.

The only printing problem is that one of the weapons hasn’t formed correctly – it should have a ribbed end to it, but it has come separately in a little bag in two pieces. I think I hadn’t formed the 3d model correctly – it reported as being a 3 piece model when it should have been only one, and I couldn’t work out why. I’m going to try pinning and gluing it on.

3d_weapons_1.jpg

3d_weapons_2.jpg

3d_weapons_3.jpg

These look great! I really like the models.

Shame about the striations but they look serviceable at a fair price for what they are.

The next option is to get them printed in wax, then they will have no print marks on them. After that get them done in resin or metal! It is worth talking to maxmini about it, they do a full service from print to casting. You would be looking at a couple of hundred quid set up, but they would easily earn you back the costs. To kickstarter!

Fimm McCool

Definitely a great starting point for something like this. You can spend some time sanding back and filling gaps in these then get them cast immaculately in resin or metal and they'll be great.

Back