Dusk Realm Demon (Chronopia)

Kasper

Hello all,
One of the good things about being broke is that you have to paint some of the minis that would otherwise never see the love of a brush. This charming chap is one I got as part of an ebay trade - he was cheap and looked fun and then he disappeared into the "to-do"-pile. But now he has gotten a bit of the attention he deserves. Actually a pretty interesting sculpt, and, strangely, very few examples exist of a painted one on the Internet.

The Demon was painted to fit with my Slaaneshi warband - as a sort of almost transcended, heavily gifted minotaur champion. Or perhaps, as this has been a recurring problem, this is the shape a demonic servant of Slaanesh would appear to a Minotaur in. A Minotaur wouldn't care for some pansy little daemonette, but this beast should get the attention of even the baddest chaos-worshipping minotaur out there!

IMG_3661.JPG

The Dusk Demon, flanked by a couple of old Minotaurs. This should help show the size and immense bulk of this brute. All are mounted on bases from Fenris Games, and have had some pretty-pretty flowers from Army Painter added. They actually demanded the flowers - Slaaneshi gits :).

IMG_3672.JPG

This one I've named "Beauty and the Beast" - for, you know, obvious reasons :).

BTW, anyone know what actually happened to Chronopia?

Plenty more pictures of the demon on my blogg.
All the best,
Kasper

Fimm McCool

I love their purple horns! Set off so nicely against the green backdrop, this is the perfect Slaaneshi mix of prettiness (pleasure) and gore (pain)! I remember having a Chronopia figure with a ram's hskull for a head at one point who was a liche in my undead horde, and some big, armoured guys who were his bodyguards. Lovely models, wish I still had them. Might I enquire as to the origin of the consort model by the way? Clearly need more naked females for my Fimir... ;)

Kasper

Hi Fimm and thanks.
The nice lady was part of a kickstarter last year by KaYo Miniatures. She came with a Demon master (Samael) and a priestess companion. The demon can be seen here:
IMG_3666.JPG

(more pictures at http://warmasterdk.blogspot.dk/2014/11/samael-demon-lord-from-kayo-miniatures.html if needed)

The priestess is a bugger to paint, though - she has some very delicate jewellery across her face and so far it has taken me three attempts to paint it, completely ruining the face each time! But some very details apart from that on all the minis - apparently they are made for 72mm and the 28mm is simply a down-scaled version.
All the best,
Kasper

Fimm McCool

I love those bases. All my townsfolk roleplay type figures are getting those. There's something about the recess and broad edging that just says class in the way even a hexagonal flat-sided base just can't do. :grin:

jprp

Each to their own-i always prefer the squares because i have been primarily a battle player and they rank up. If i was painting solely for display then plinth type bases might get a look in.

Kasper

Hi jprp,
As Fimm guessed, it is purely an aestethic choice - I have realised I will probably never these chaps into a game and thus I've gone with the bases that I like the best. And while I could have gone for plinths this seemed a bit exaggerated considering the mediocre painting I'm capable of and thus these very nice round bases were my choice. They just seem to frame the minis better than square bases.
All the best,
Kasper

jprp

Fimm McCool":1esa58fe said:
Kasper":1esa58fe said:
...mediocre painting I'm capable of...

Really? Who painted these then? :)

I think there are a lot of hobbyists that beat themselves up because they don`t have a Golden Daemon on the mantlepiece when infact 95% of the general public would be amazed at the quality of their work.

Kasper

Aw shucks, guys :). Thanks and while I agree my paintjobs could be worse (and indeed have been!), I find it a very humbling experience to both be privy to the results other people produce (e.g. Stone Cold Lead whose smooth painting skills should be forbidden!) and to see ones miniatures blown up to four/five times their normal size and have all their errors brutally revealed.
but perhaps the main reason is partly to do with an annoyance towards my own painting - I always begin painting a mini seeing all the wonderful possibilities it presents and then as time passes I'll start slipping and rather than doing the 'right' thing, I'll cut corners and get sloppy. This means that the final figure (although finished and alright) will for some time remind me of 'what could have been'. But then, after a few weeks, I'll just be happy to have it finished and only remember the pleasure of painting it. Especially these old minis - the mini's backstory seems to evolve with each brush-stroke, something I really enjoy :).

Anyways, thanks for the comments and here is another old mini for you kind words - a somewhat weird Witch Elf (she has sculpted pupils, something I don't think was very common at the time, and gives her a very hectic expression):

IMG_3680.JPG

All the best,

Back