Needle Drills

popevaderii

Ok, I've decided to take the plunge and actually start converting/remodling minitures and need a decent needle drill (if thats the right name)...does anyone in the UK have any suggestions beyond visiting Games Workship and forking out for their usually overpriced fare?

Asslessman

If you have a hoby shop nearby, they should have the excat same thing sold by some other commany for half the price, failing that I find all such stuff at the DIY for even cheaper usually (and you can get much better drills too) for most stuff like this going to the DIY is often the best move since you can choose what level of quality/price you want.

ardyer

I usually just get them off eBay. In USA anyway, there are plenty of companies selling them there.

ardyer

And one more tip, buy the drill bits you want to use in bulk. When I first started using one, I used to break the bits all the time.

Asslessman

ardyer":3prz04mf said:
And one more tip, buy the drill bits you want to use in bulk. When I first started using one, I used to break the bits all the time.

I used to do that but I now prefer to rely on better quality ones rather than number. In the end I really prefer to drill with good drills that last longer and it costs less (for me anyway)

If I were starting again and wanted a pin vice and small drills then I'd probably try a supplier such as Eileen's Emporium, Chronos or even a local tool supplier or merchant.
If you are in Cambridge why not try a local tool merchant like CIS in St. Neots or Cambridge Tools although the latter is now part of Cromwell Tools.

Rotarty (dremmel) tools take alot of the pain out of the job, but are very tricky to use and require some practice to start with. Use the slow setting! I was looking at the one in maplins yesterday, very nice lime green for £31. However, I got mine at machine mart for a similar price and it came with the flax cable thing to make it all easier. Still need to get a collet to hold tiny bits though, as it did not come with one. Off to Dremel Direct!

I still have some old dentistry drills I use for not only drilling, but also for hand greenstuff modelling of chainmaille. I just went into a dentist and asked for them and they gave me a big load for free.

Back