The mini rescue thread

Naagruz":27a9hiz5 said:
Less of a rescue given the acute case of lead rot with this mini, but it works wonderfully re-purposed as a statue. Planning to incorporate this old C 06 guy into a larger base at some point.

Pretty amazing how bad the rot rips up a mini. :shock:

That's an incredible piece of work! What a great idea :grin: you're right about the lead rot being dire, I've never seen one that bad :s

I think that statue would be perfect secreted away in a larger terrain piece, rewarding the careful observer with a lost, old statue of a long forgotten hero...

Lestodante

the statue is wonderful... How did you do the cracks on the back? Are they real or "simply" painted?
Imagine you're going to hunt Medusa in a dungeon and the closer you come to her the more petrified heroes you meet :o

Fimm McCool

I got these in an evilbay lot a while ago:

file.php

Turned them into Arbites for our Necromunda campaign, apologies the pictures aren't very clear, was going for atmosphere!

1506592_10152102655927279_894605686_n.jpg

1609893_10152114157682279_1380934401_n.jpg

Naagruz

Lestodante":2yukfuki said:
the statue is wonderful... How did you do the cracks on the back? Are they real or "simply" painted?
Sadly, that is all lead rot. It's funny that I had heard of lead rot & absolutely never ran into it until I picked up a really cheap lot of minis recently, but it really rips a mini up. Most of the minis in the lot were affected, which actually works for me, but they look like they are exploding from the inside out. The cracks are just evidence of greater corrosion and the lead is really brittle.

To hopefully preserve this sucker for my lifetime, I did a zenithal undercoat black/white, then dipped with PolyShades, followed with a final coat of Testors Flat Clear.
I'm glad you liked the end result. :grin:

Naagruz

Almost forgot, Fimm, that top pic is movie quality great!
Good stuff & I love the thematic shots. Great resurrection!

Asslessman

I think this will fit in :

Here are 5 chaos warriors saved from severe injuries to the hands ands shafts :

SS850053.JPG

Oh wait, there's even more !

SS850054.JPG

More to come in that vein...

Great warband. Look awesome.
It is nice to have a thread like yours showing what can be achieved with some spare weapons and a little greenstuff.
Keep showing more.

Asslessman

Thanks WT ! That thread is open for everyone though , anyone rescuing damaged or broken models are welcome to posting here !

@Porkaborg : It was just reaplcing some blades here and there, adding arms and shields, nothing really hard really, I even managed to use some old lead bits.Take good care of the Chaos dwarves , I know you'll give them better treatment than I would have !

Asslessman

Great rescue job, just a little bit of GS and saliva here and there and they're good as new !

I'm actually surprised to see the plastic scout is such a good sculpt. I had forgotten but it actually looks good. Enjoy the painting !

Asslessman":1dgvnpm1 said:
Great rescue job, just a little bit of GS and saliva here and there and they're good as new !

I'm actually surprised to see the plastic scout is such a good sculpt. I had forgotten but it actually looks good. Enjoy the painting !

I'm definitely guilty on the saliva front :oops:

I'm really looking forward to painting them actually, they're on the cards.
I have enough metals to make 2 squads ( with Space Wolf Sergeants ) and 2 plastics for the BA's, but I think I'll mix them through.
Seeing the Wolf Scouts from Bryan's collection on Eldritch Apostles really makes me wanna get stuck into the Wolves, but I'll resist for the moment.

Golgfag1

Help,

Advice on how to remove superglue from metal, paints gone after three baths of paint stripper, but the glue remains (surprisingly) and I do mean GLUE, am thinking nail varnish remover, but am not sure?

thoughts please

Paul / Golgfag1

Asslessman

acetone removes super glue, epoxy glue and most putties, I use the pure one you get in DIYs to strip all my metal minis from everything (do not try with plastics though).

Chico

When this Half-Orc came out the stripper his weapon was broken so he got turned into a Standard.

I think it works quite well.

Attachments

• DSC_0185~2.jpg
    DSC_0185~2.jpg
    234.9 KB · Views: 1,327

Asslessman

Greta job Chico, he actually even looks better as a standard bearer imho. Just give him a bunch of colleagues for a Hiwo-jima reenactment ;)

ardyer

I had this witch elf whose right arm was busted off at the elbow, so I did this:

I've since attached the banner to her. Full photos will come when I'm done painting for Oldhammer day USA.

Golgfag1":1ru1fh64 said:
Help,

Advice on how to remove superglue from metal, paints gone after three baths of paint stripper, but the glue remains (surprisingly) and I do mean GLUE, am thinking nail varnish remover, but am not sure?

thoughts please

Paul / Golgfag1

Have you tried superglue solvent Paul? Should be easy to get in a good hardware store. The fact that this "glue" has survived the stripping processes is worrying though. Failing that I would get out the dentist's pick!

Golgfag1

Just happened to have brought some yesterday, haven't applied it yet, was waiting for weekend, but have just received an invitation the the Worlds in Darby so not sure what I'll be doing this weekend until the boss gets home and tells me!

Am also going to try the Dettol treatment before, and see what happens, god know what they were thinking when they applied this but it is caked on!

Paul / Golgfag1

Back