Show us your Custom Ork Dreadz

General questions & discussion involving all things painting, modeling & photography. 

Moderator: Moderators

Post Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:21 am

Show us your Custom Ork Dreadz

Many years ago I got hugely inspired by this picture of a custom Dread Mob in the old Freebooterz book:
At the time I built three custom dreadnaughts along these lines covered in riveted armour, giant metal claws, and shooty guns of all sorts.
Then I got really wild and built a pair of 40K scale Stomper Gargants from Epic/Space Marine, kitting them out with giant saw arms, and battle cannons, and even wired up LEDs in the eye sockets powered from a 9V battery concealed in the structure.
Well all that happened well before the age of digital cameras and those models are probably in pieces today, buried under other models in my storage unit overseas.

Was anyone else here ever moved to create their own custom Ork Dreadnoughts?

I suspect this is a subject a lot of 40K modelers have attempted to tackle, since Orky technology can be so readily bodged together out of household scrap. :D
In fact I'm doing another foray into the art myself at the moment.

Please post some pics!
...And I'll post pics of the dreadnoughts I'm currently working on once they're ready. :)

Post Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:41 am

Re: Show us your Custom Ork Dreadz

I don’t have anything to share; but the dread mob is a very cool entry and I hope some people post their tales on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:53 am

Orjetax wrote:I don’t have anything to share; but the dread mob is a very cool entry and I hope some people post their tales on this.

Thanks for the interest! Yes, that'd be grand! :D
I only wish I had some pics of my old models to get this thread started properly! (˃_˂;)゚。

I'd like to reiterate for everyone though, that I wasn't just asking to be shown models based on the ones in the above illustration. This thread welcomes ANY permutations of custom Orky Dreadnoughts!

This reminds me of something... Let me rummage around and see if I can find it...

Post Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:15 am

Yes, here it is; maybe this will add a little oomph to get this thread off the ground.
A rather stimulating article this...

Interesting idea using all off-the-shelf catalogue parts to make some Dreads.
(I notice the total cost of parts was strategically omitted though...!)

Still the article does give one enthusiasm to sit down at the workbench to begin fitting the piles of old toy and model leftovers together.

Here's a tip that applies to orky construction of all sorts that may be of assistance while scratchbuilding:
How to do Orky metal plates/bodged-together patches...
If you have some greenstuff you can roll out some long noodles, let them cure, and then slice them up into rivets. Then you can apply a blob of greenstuff onto your model, and shape it into a rectangle or something resembling a metal patch. Before you add the rivets onto this greenstuff patch though, press down onto the greenstuff with some heavy gauge sandpaper. This will give the orky metal plate the texture that you see on the pig-iron hull of say, a Sherman tank, rather than just a smooth surface. Then apply your rivets and let cure. It really makes a big difference in the look of the vehicle and makes it feel 'heavier'.

Post Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:09 pm

Whenever I think of ork dreadnoughts I immediately think of this http://www.irondogstudios.com/images/tater/mek_tater.html

Post Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:24 am

dazza36 wrote:Whenever I think of ork dreadnoughts I immediately think of this http://www.irondogstudios.com/images/tater/mek_tater.html

A bit facetious yet supremely well realised and undeniably brilliant. :lol:

Post Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:16 am

A dread mob you say?

I call these fellows Mr. Burn, Doc Hobble, and the Delightful Dreadlies.

There's really only three conversions in the bunch, and one of them is more rescue than conversion. (I made some replacement parts out of the green stuff for the Olley Roborg. Bought it missing weapon and claw.) So it's really more a "carefully curated selection" of orkyesque objects of dreadliness than conversions. But it is most assuredly a dread mob. Lets see, there's an old ordinary orc dreadnought. (Easily my worst.) Next came the two conversions, which were made with awful bubbly bits that clearly came off the high seas somewhere. (Quite fitting for a pirate mob. Discovered in the bottom of a box literally bought out of a stranger's car boot/trunk. Q: "Hey, you want to buy some orks?" [rummage rummage rummage] A: "Heck yeah!" Okay, those two weren't orks. But now they are! Pirate orks!) Third came the Gorillagon from Ramshackle Curtis. (He just fit right in!) Fourth was the rescue Roborg. Most recently is the Armorcast Frank n' Track steampunk robot. (I keep forgetting what that thing is and having to look it up. Over and over and over. Even had people tell me at least once. Ah well. Maybe I'll make a note this time.) ;-)

Post Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:33 am

symphonicpoet wrote:A dread mob you say?

I call these fellows Mr. Burn, Doc Hobble, and the Delightful Dreadlies.

There's really only three conversions in the bunch, and one of them is more rescue than conversion. (I made some replacement parts out of the green stuff for the Olley Roborg. Bought it missing weapon and claw.) So it's really more a "carefully curated selection" of orkyesque objects of dreadliness than conversions. But it is most assuredly a dread mob. Lets see, there's an old ordinary orc dreadnought. (Easily my worst.) Next came the two conversions, which were made with awful bubbly bits that clearly came off the high seas somewhere. (Quite fitting for a pirate mob. Discovered in the bottom of a box literally bought out of a stranger's car boot/trunk. Q: "Hey, you want to buy some orks?" [rummage rummage rummage] A: "Heck yeah!" Okay, those two weren't orks. But now they are! Pirate orks!) Third came the Gorillagon from Ramshackle Curtis. (He just fit right in!) Fourth was the rescue Roborg. Most recently is the Armorcast Frank n' Track steampunk robot. (I keep forgetting what that thing is and having to look it up. Over and over and over. Even had people tell me at least once. Ah well. Maybe I'll make a note this time.) ;-)

Love this. Roborg! Armorcast!

Is that thing on the far right the gorillagon?

Post Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:26 am

symphonicpoet wrote:Mr. Burn, Doc Hobble, and the Delightful Dreadlies.

I second that. These really are terrific! They look and feel exactly as they should; like a rag-tag mob of mercenary freebooterz! I love to see non-standard figs and models employed in WH40K especially things like this assembled as a labor of love. Orks are especially good for facilitating that sort of thing.
Have you ever put them into combat? If so I'm sure everyone would be eager to hear how that went. They would make for a pretty wild battle report! :)

Post Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:52 am

Orjetax wrote:
Love this. Roborg! Armorcast!

Is that thing on the far right the gorillagon?

Tubehead wrote:

Thank you Orjetax! It is indeed a Gorillagon. Curtis makes some delightful stuff that fits in especially well with older GW SpaceOrks. I have some more Ramshackle robots that may end up added to the group later. :)

Tubehead wrote:

I second that. These really are terrific! They look and feel exactly as they should; like a rag-tag mob of mercenary freebooterz! I love to see non-standard figs and models employed in WH40K especially things like this assembled as a labor of love. Orks are especially good for facilitating that sort of thing.
Have you ever put them into combat? If so I'm sure everyone would be eager to hear how that went. They would make for a pretty wild battle report! :)

And thank you as well Tubehead! I have put them into action a few times in different ways, most recently in a "throw whatever you have on the table and have fun" battle at Novaosgrot 2019. My ork force countered a mixed force of a couple different folks IG. It was a spectacularly lovely mess. The Dreadlies drew the bulk of the fire, but they kept slugging for a good while anyway. The battlefield was an enormous warren of buttes and slot canyons. My center was dominated by a large impassable butte, as I recall. Ghazkull, the battlewagon, and a bunch of armored nobz went around the left. The Dreadlies went around the right. Bikes and buggies went up each flank to provide fast emergency reinforcement where needed. Ghaz took a round fairly early on and was no more. The battlewagon rammed a Chimera neuetralizing a pesky threat. The Dreadlies advanced about halfway across the battlefield before themselves being immobilized, but they were able to keep shooting a good while, providing support. They tore apart a unit of Ogryn that could have been a real problem before finally being silenced. The boys charged behind them and gradually overran the IG positions, rolling them up from both flanks, as I recall, though I wouldn't call it a fair fight. I think I had the IG substantially outnumbered, and dramatically outnumbered in terms of support weapons and heavy troops. Which is maybe a bit of an oddity. But we didn't count points at all. Literally just threw everything we had on the table and said "All right then, let's go at it!" Lots of comedy and great fun. :) )(And a dead warboos by the end of the first turn. Wowzers! But the boys held anyway!)
Next

Return to Painting & Modeling