[Rules Development] Weapons Profile

Zhu Bajie

A single statline for all types of weapons:

Code:
                Range        To Strike
Name    Comp    Min  Max     Min  Max   Force   Reaction    Damage    Armour    HtH     Enc    Slow   Area  Cost    Special
Sword   4       0    0       0     0    0       0           1         0         Y       0      0      0     0
2H Axe  4       0    0       0     0    +1     -1           1         0         Y       0      0      0     2        No shield
Bow     3       12   24      0    -1    3       0           1         0         N       0      0      0     1

Name
The name of the weapon.

Complexity
How difficult it is to use - the Complexity of a weapon is the minimum Mind required to use it effectively.

Range Min / Max
The minimum and maximum ranges (in inches) , if 0 then weapon can only be used in Hand-to-hand combat.

To Strike Min/Max
Bonus or penalty applied if distance is less than given range.

Force
The force of the blow from the weapon. If force is 0, then the Force characteristic of the creature is used.

Reaction
A bonus or penalty to the Reaction roll in combat may be applied, depending on how cumbersome the weapon is to use in combat.

Damage
The number of Life points to deduct on a successful hit.

Armour
A bonus or penalty to the Armour saving roll .

HtH
May the weapon be fired in hand-to-hand combat? Y or N.

Encumbrance
A bonus or penalty to Distance, depending on how difficult or heavy the weapon is to carry

Slow
How many rounds it takes to load after being shot, if 0 it does not need to be reloaded.

Area
Area of Effect in inches. Value of 0 means 1 model only.

Cost
Points cost

Special
Any special rules, such as armour restrictions, follow-on-fire or spell-like effects

Thought? comments?

Thantsants

Looks like you've covered it all - I'm assuming special additions to initiative against mounted troops for weapons like spears and pikes would be covered in the special rules section?

The only thing I'd suggest is that that is quite a long stat line with lots of 0's in for HtH weapons - would it be worth only adding stats like range, slow and area for missile weapons? We could have a melee and a ranged section in our rules set possibly.

Or would that get confusing having different statlines for different weapon types?

Zhu Bajie

Thantsants":dly1b4fn said:
Looks like you've covered it all - I'm assuming special additions to initiative against mounted troops for weapons like spears and pikes would be covered in the special rules section?

The only thing I'd suggest is that that is quite a long stat line with lots of 0's in for HtH weapons - would it be worth only adding stats like range, slow and area for missile weapons? We could have a melee and a ranged section in our rules set possibly.

Or would that get confusing having different statlines for different weapon types?

The table comes from me trying to engineer a points system for weapons, similar to thepoints system for creatures so comparing across all attributes seemed the right way to go. I have an Open Office spreadsheet with a lot of data for a lot of different weapons, but haven't really put much effort into crunching through the stats as of yet.

So yes, it does make sense to have HtH weapons, although exotic things like Laser Pistols may be used during HTH combat.

The order needs some work, maybe put Complexity before Cost, so the 'things to think about when equipping' go to one end. And Armour before Damage, as that the follows the combat procedure, Reaction first, then Encumbrance.

"+1 reaction against cavalry" definitely sounds like a special rule to me!

Thantsants

Ah that makes sense, fair enough.

So yes, it does make sense to have HtH weapons, although exotic things like Laser Pistols may be used during HTH combat.

Those and those nasty little hand repeater crossbows that Dark Elves tote around!

I assume we'll cover stand and fire rules elsewhere for when archers and crossbowmen receive a charge?

Back