Warband Campaign Rules

Everything regarding B.L.O.O.D. : the Warhammer Fantasy Battle retroclone

Moderator: Moderators

Post Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:21 pm

Re: Warband Campaign Rules

Zhu Bajie wrote:If the campaign engine were to be multi-generational we'd have to start taking account population effects birth-rates, loss of able-bodied males on the economic and intellectual development of their cultures and progression of the industrial-military-magical complex and the proliferation of arms across factions. Wouldn't take long for high-elves to develop and improve skaven flamethrowers. I don't know of any games that simulate that scale, might be interesting.

Ha. There was a time when I would have thought that that level of complexity and 'realism' was just what my gaming needed... Thank Sigmar that phase - the Rolemaster phase - is behind me.

Zhu Bajie wrote:The injury tables (esp. Mordheim) will make veterans shaky, not only loss of an eye (drop BS) or, but also suffering from Fear of the assailant type. It can be quite brutal. what is BBs offering in that regard?

Blood Bowl 2e has two campaign systems - but I don't have the Companion in which the full system was detailed. In 'Star Players' the injury table is pretty brutal - stripping players of stat line points as well as all important Skills (which doesn't translate as well to WFB, of course). The current Blood Bowl campaign rules are a more bland. What I think I was getting confuses with are the 'Draft' rules from Blood Bowl 7s - in which Star Players are plucked from your Sunday League sides to join the majors. The better a player gets, the more likely he is to be given a contract elsewhere.

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_Cus ... owl_7s.pdf

When I was thinking about a way to avoid too powerful a warband, it was something like this, combined with injuries - but instead of joining the major league, the experienced soldiers retire (whether they're 30 or 60) to provincial office, are granted a small barony, come into their inheritance, marry into a wealthy family, or just drift off to booze away their plunder in the relative safety of a Altdorf winesink. A different list of reasons could be provided for each non-human race - Elves would just get bored, I'd imagine. It's not that soldiers retire because they get to state pension age, it's that only the mad would want to be a mercenary (especially in the Warhammer world) for long, so a few seasons of campaigning either kill a man, of win him enough plunder to find a more peaceable way of living. Of course, some are mad, or spendthrift, or whatever, but this can be abstracted at a unit level.

If the warband system had a finincial element - as in Blood Bowl - powerful warbands full of legendary heroes could be beset by the same kind of 'spiralling expenses' that a plague all-star Blood Bowl teams.

Post Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:50 am

Re: Warband Campaign Rules

DrBargle wrote:
Zhu Bajie wrote:If the campaign engine were to be multi-generational we'd have to start taking account population effects birth-rates, loss of able-bodied males on the economic and intellectual development of their cultures and progression of the industrial-military-magical complex and the proliferation of arms across factions. Wouldn't take long for high-elves to develop and improve skaven flamethrowers. I don't know of any games that simulate that scale, might be interesting.

Ha. There was a time when I would have thought that that level of complexity and 'realism' was just what my gaming needed... Thank Sigmar that phase - the Rolemaster phase - is behind me..
[/quote]

Indeed! I was thinking of Middle Earth Strategic Gaming with regards population and resource management, of course that was based on MERP (which kind of is Rolemaster,). Works very nicely as a PBM as you have time to think and plan long-term strategies and immerse yourself in that kind of game, rather than picking up a few minis and throwing dice without much context. While still abstract and not at all realistic, it's about resource management, more like an RTS. A potentially diverting activity of empire management away from the conflict, probably better suited as a Mighty Empires modification.

I don't see why avoiding powerful warbands would be a desirable design goal, it just flattens the power curve and stretches out the mid-game. Why not have a bunch of oiks transform into a warband of lvl 4 wizard and his Major Hero cronies over a series of games? Makes sense to me. Burning through endless supplies of low level redshirts without repercussion doesn't appeal. Perhaps Goblins, but Elves and Dwarves should be more cautious. Perhaps Ld. penalties for every troop killed under your command would scratch that itch...

If we take the ideal campaign as 2 or 3 seasons of campaigning, then not even the most fickle elf is going to get into their bordom phase. Perhaps if a campaign stetched out to 7 or 8 seasons. Rates would be different for races. Demi-human level limits anyone? Also if high-level training requires troops or characters sit-out a fight, there may be some interesting management to be done.

Economic systems, I like the idea that orcs value mushrooms, skaven value warpstone, and elves value erm, fine vintages of wine? more than gold. But if there are no macro-economic factors, PV point-buy seems to cover it.
Previous

Return to B.L.O.O.D.