[Rules Development] Turn Phases

Everything regarding B.L.O.O.D. : the Warhammer Fantasy Battle retroclone

Moderator: Moderators

Post Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:16 pm

Re: [Rules Development] Turn Phases

Zhu Bajie wrote:
Just John wrote:When you say develop a more comprehensive order system do you mean Old School with written orders and having to send them via messenger, who are represented on the board and who sometimes get delayed/intercepted?

I was just leaving a blank! But that sounds amazing. Fancy writing it up?

I'm now thinking BLOOD could be built out of "optional subsystems". The rules could be there for messengers, counters, or just shouting "waargh". So you can make the game how you want, but with the same foundational structure, like a toolkit.

Truth be told I think thats almost how they explained 3rd ed. I've certainly been thinking we can add more than the basics and let people pick and choose the rest. However we do need to get the basics down first. I don't think we are to far from being able to get a maybe 3 to 4 page basic basic rules set out for the fanzine. But I'll start a new post.

Grand Buffoon of the Highest Order

Post Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:50 pm

I'll have a go at putting something simple together. Its nothing original - Old School historical gamers have been using it for years (as opposed to us illiterate Old Skool kids). I like the idea of a basic framework for the rules with optional add ons.

I think Erny is right though, the most important thing is to get the basics done first, then we can start adding on bits.

Post Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:04 am

Okay, messengers and the like are WAY before my time... is there some kind of generic pattern of behaviour for troops left without orders? Sounds like it could get needlessly complicated...

Post Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:38 am

GavinBranson wrote:Okay, messengers and the like are WAY before my time... is there some kind of generic pattern of behaviour for troops left without orders? Sounds like it could get needlessly complicated...

I remember being shamelessly mocked for playing warhammer because "it doesn't even have orders, wha! ha ha ha!" by the beardy Napoleonic players at my local wargaming group - it wasn't considered a proper wargame. In many ways they are right, it is a scaled up skirmish game. The maneuvers go a long way towards getting the game more in-line with a historicals wargame, and an orders system even more so. Much of the psychology rules are about the effects of leadership, and might have been seen by BRR as a more fun replacement for traditional orders, but that's speculation on my part.

The idea is to present a few options on orders. You don't have to use a messenger system, but you can do if you'd like to.

Heck you could even have options for random charge distances in the Movement phase if you wanted to.

Hmm. Higher initiative should probably give the choice of when to activate. That might need playtesting a bit.
Previous

Return to B.L.O.O.D.