Oldhammer Legacy Project IV: 2017 Suggestions

Having trouble getting anything painted? Join our monthly challenges or group projects!

Moderator: Moderators

Post Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:47 am

Oldhammer Legacy Project IV: 2017 Suggestions

Any thoughts for 2017 yet? If we continue the theme I suppose this would be a science fiction year.

Just to start the ball rolling, here's a few of my thoughts:

1. How about a Rainbow Warrirors band to combat all the nasty out there lately. It's a little specific, but . . . we all love to paint marines every now and then, right?
2. Maybe we could do a Veterans of Galactic Wars group: a bunch of soldiers who have mustered out and now spend their time protecting the less fortunate. Or drinking beer. Or both simultaneously, if they can find a way to do it.
3. Alternately, we could do a biker/road gang, either for good or ill. (I'm feeling the good today, obviously. There's certainly plenty of inspiration out there for quite an assortment of demons right now, but . . . maybe still too soon for me.)

Oddly, all of the above could even be combined to some extent, if you really want to get whacky. Okay, Rainbow Warriors and heavy chrome are perhaps mutually exclusive, but there's plenty of room in the middle. And maybe even ways to force a Rainbow Warrior and a chromed up road soldier to work together. On bikes. Over beer.

To move the list to the top of the thread I'm editing my original post. The original is the quote above. Here's the list of suggestions as it stands as of 00:00 GMT 1/14:

Themes:

1. Road warrior themed street gang - Kinda symphonicpoet kinda ramshackle_curtis
2. Inquisitorial retinue - Fimm McCool
3. Bloodbowl team - weazil
4. Space Fleet/BFG - weazil
5. Necromunda gang - weazil
6. Veterans of Galactic Wars Chapter - symphonicpoet
7. The Away Team the classic interplanetary landing crew - Zhu Bajie
8. Khaotic Kosmic Kultists - Zhu Bajie
9. Astrozombies - Zhu Bajie
10. Xenomorph Safari - Zhu Bajie
11. Rainbow Warriors and beyond - Zhu Bajie

Spot color

1. Rainbow
Last edited by symphonicpoet on Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:15 am

Re: Oldhammer Legacy Project IV: 2017 Suggestions

I think doing space marines is going to look odd because of all the differnt styles of painting.

But rainbow theme is great, bold visually and easy for everyone to do in a similar way.

I think Rainbow -road-warrior gang drinking alcoholic beverages sounds brilliant!

"we drink, we drink, we drink again!"

Post Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:40 pm

Space Marines are also a rather specific model to force people to acquire.

Post Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:12 pm

Inquisitorial retinue? Allows for all sorts (including marines and bikers) but with a rainbow theme...

Post Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:31 pm

I like the sound of Finn's idea and the rainbow theme - and by the way I may have painted too many marines to really be enthused by them.

Post Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:26 pm

How 'off the wall' did we wan to go? Because we could do something like a Bloodbowl team, or a BFG/Spacefleet fleet, or even something like a Necromunda gang?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Regards,
Gaj

Always interested in contacting any gamers interested in Warhammer Fantasy 3rd Edition!
Also interested in any old 80's Citadel figures you may want to get rid of.

http://warhammerforadults.blogspot.com

Post Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:11 pm

A rainbow-themed Necromunda gang sounds amazing.

Post Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:48 pm

I'm trying to recall how this worked last time. Maybe we set a deadline on suggestions, and then set up a week or so as a voting period? Something akin to post suggestions by Jan. 31 and voting would be through the middle of February?

So here's what I'm seeing so far. I think we can probably say there's a consensus to dump the Rainbow Warrior Marine idea, and I'll limit my own suggestions to one. (Unless someone else feels like putting another back.)

1. Road warrior themed street gang
2. Inquisitorial retinue
3. Bloodbowl team
4. Space Fleet/BFG
5. Necromunda gang. (Similar to 1, but probably fewer bikes.)
6. Veterans of Galactic Wars Chapter. (Marines optional. Humans optional. GW cannon optional. But grizzled, and well armed.)

The rainbow thing could be a spot color idea. (It has my vote. As Curtis said, it's bold and not too hard to do. And it will provide a very distinct unifying theme.) But other suggestions would be fine, if someone has one. That could be a second vote. Also, if an admin wanted to move a post similar to this to the top of the thread and sticky it that might make things easier.

Post Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:26 am

I think I like the Inquisitorial retinue idea best so far, with our without rainbow theme. I could go for both, but bright shiny colors are always fun! :D

Post Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:20 am

1. The Away Team the classic interplanetary landing crew - oldhammer stylee! Medics, Science Officers, Security guys, Alien Advisors. To Boldly Go Where no Rogue Trader has gone before!
2. Khaotic Kosmic Kultists evil insane space cultists from beyond the known galaxy!
3. Astrozombies from zombie Space Marines to skeletal Space Elves, the dead walk amongst the stars!
4. Xenomorph Safari. Multifarious alien life-forms and those that hunt them...

I really liked the idea of the Rainbow Warriors under a theme of LBGT solidarity (although I think Rainbow Warrior was originally a reference to Greenpeace's ship) but extending the idea beyond the Space Marines to Rainbow Warriors Homeworld or recruiting worlds as well, so would include Rainbow Gangs, Rainbow Scouts, Rainbow Xeno Allies, etc. So...

5. Rainbow Warriors and beyond. Stand proud with your LBGT allies in the infinite void, Rainbow Warrior marines, recruits, homeworld gangs and xeno allies.
Next

Return to Painting Challenges