Deadcember 2016 is over - we have a champion!

Mister Rab

Mister Rab":31554lel said:
Start your paintbrushes, ladies and gentlemen - Deadcember is here!

Rules:
  • paint something undead
  • the optional theme is "the quick and the dead" (e.g. I'm painting cavalry)
  • post a picture here by midnight, 31st December 2016 (GMT)
  • add the button/sticker thing to your signature (image to follow)
  • my favourite (purely subjectively) will win a prize (an undead ogre and I have the offer of something to add to that as well)

I will be collating entries from here, the Oldhammer FB group, and direct submissions via my blog. I will set up a gallery of images on my blog to keep it all in one place and let you know when I update it.

Have fun, and I can't wait to see what you talented lot come up with!

It's back! The season of Deadcember is almost on us once again (time flies when you're a reanimated corpse), so it's time to get planning what you're going to paint or write this year.

Last year there were some spectacularly boney contributions so I wanted to sneak in a reminder to give you time to plan. I thought that a theme beyond just "undead" might be a good way to give people focus so I've chosen "the quick and the dead". Something speedy, then, be that zombie dragons, skeletal chariots, ghost knights, carrion, whatever. There will be a prize this year - one of Justin Coutange's lovely oldhammery skeleton ogres - for the entry I choose as my favourite on purely subjective grounds. There'll also be a badge for your signature if you're very good. Details of how to enter your photos to follow, but here's a cool painting Zhu did for me last year to get you in the mood...

deadcember.jpg

Mister Rab

Re: Deadcember 2016

Fimm McCool":kqzmm7k7 said:
Midway through my skeletons, so something will be joining their rank ranks this deadcember!
Excellent 8-)

Wikkid Devil":kqzmm7k7 said:
This *may* be the spur I need to get my Zombie dragon done...
Dooo eeeeet! :lol:

Steve63":kqzmm7k7 said:
I'm not a big fan of undead no skellies or zombies but I have got a Vampire. Any good?
Absolutely - I know that identifying as dead/undead/living impaired is a hot topic among vampires at the moment, and who am I to judge? ;)

inchmurrin":kqzmm7k7 said:
Would a quick Wardancer being pursued by a dead Skellie count?
Um, I'd rather it was a dead wardancer! Pesky things :twisted:

Anonymous

Re: Deadcember 2016

Steve63":3s8ds3n5 said:
I'm not a big fan of undead no skellies or zombies but I have got a Vampire. Any good?
Absolutely - I know that identifying as dead/undead/living impaired is a hot topic among vampires at the moment, and who am I to judge? ;)

Right then, I'll make a start

Cheers

Mister Rab

Deadcember 2016 is live! (ok, it's undead, but...)

Start your paintbrushes, ladies and gentlemen - Deadcember is here!

Rules:
  • paint something undead
  • the optional theme is "the quick and the dead" (e.g. I'm painting cavalry)
  • post a picture here by midnight, 31st December 2016 (GMT)
  • add the button/sticker thing to your signature (image to follow)
  • my favourite (purely subjectively) will win a prize (an undead ogre and I have the offer of something to add to that as well)

I will be collating entries from here, the Oldhammer FB group, and direct submissions via my blog. I will set up a gallery of images on my blog to keep it all in one place and let you know when I update it.

Have fun, and I can't wait to see what you talented lot come up with!

Re: Deadcember 2016 is live! (ok, it's undead, but...)

I hope it's OK to copy & paste from my ongoing plog in the Showroom....

It's officially Deadcember, and I've officially finished the first of the (un)dead for the season.

Skeletal demon and giant from Ral Partha. (Handgunner for scale.)

skelgntdaem_zpsojtzjevp.jpg

Skeletal ogres from (left to right): Ral Partha Europe, Justin from the Oldhammer FB group, Ral Partha Europe, and Krakon Games.

skelogre_zpscaixfnlw.jpg

Time is getting a little tighter for me, so I cut a few corners but I still think they all look pretty good!

Fimm McCool

Nice one! What really impresses me are the bases, such great details there.

I have made a good start on my zombie dragon, hopefully pics to follow on sunday.

Thanks. I like to add a little extra detail & color on the undead bases --especially the big ones -- to contrast with the limited pallets of my undead figures. These one's were a bit of a rushed mess, though. First time trying out some pre-made tufts, too. I usually use cheap paintbrush bristles (sometimes stained with paint or ink.) But this was a nice change, as they were already prepped & gathered in bunches.

Next up for Deadcember's paint-a-thon (December is shaping up to involve more painting than the entire rest of the year at this pace) is a group of five skeletons that I believe are old Citadel. I'm not sure, I got them as part of a trade. They are bigger than the Nightmare Legion, but they will probably end up as filling in odd units either in the Legion or elsewhere, as needed. They're really nice sculpts, I wish I had more that were similar to this. I've had no luck in finding old metal skeletons, though -- other than these, obviously. Shields are Empire heaters with the tiny hole filled in & sanded smooth.

armskel_zpspeorontf.jpg

Rapid work on two more figures for Deadcember. And more cheating. ;)

One is a wight that I got in a trade. It was painted very close to my own style, so I just kept the paint, gave him a new shield and base. I think it's another old Citadel figure.

uknwt_zpsxkomteoh.jpg

The other is the third of my vulture sculpts. Finally painted after working on the sculpting for many long years, and then the figure has been primed and sitting on my desk since earlier this year. (I got frustrated with his staff and stole the top and bottom from the GW Mordheim sprue.) Going with the limited pallette of the Undeadish again -- but I probably still could have done a little better. Worked on it in little five minute increments, whenever I could get to it, over the past few days. I should get a photo of the three sculpts together.

vltxx_zpsfryxnnoc.jpg

Dead crop fields count, right? A few years ago when I was working on terrain, I could't find plain coir mats anywhere. For whatever reason, they all had printed designs (borders, graphics, text, etc.) on them. I happened to notice plain (and inexpensive) ones this past week at the local Home Despot (Home Depot = US hardware chain, I usually add the S.) I should have picked up a pile of them for more extensive croplands. Maybe after the holidays.

20161211_214346.jpg

Fimm McCool

My first (hopefully of many) offerings for Deadcember, the classic Tom Meier Zombie Dragon and a proxy Mikael Jacsen. The bases aren't done yet as I'm going to base the whole lot at the same time as I make the terrain they're going onto (hopefully over Christmas- nothing like optimism about how much I'll get done!).

15390794_10154640832107279_48156786510675179_n.jpg

15541126_10154640832267279_2059787052266537716_n.jpg

15492437_10154640832177279_6300514788214771815_n.jpg

15418592_10154640832377279_7343028957869050605_o.jpg

The colour scheme for the dragon is based on the stunning Blanche painting:
15403672_10154640839512279_3589938453180075782_o.jpg

Nice work. I really like the contrast of the red vs. black. That dragon is such a.classic model, and I've always loved the illustration as well.

Back