Deadcember 2016 is over - we have a champion!

Having trouble getting anything painted? Join our monthly challenges or group projects!

Moderator: Moderators

Post Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:31 pm

Re: Deadcember 2016 is live! (ok, it's undead, but...)

I hope it's OK to copy & paste from my ongoing plog in the Showroom....

It's officially Deadcember, and I've officially finished the first of the (un)dead for the season.

Skeletal demon and giant from Ral Partha. (Handgunner for scale.)

Skeletal ogres from (left to right): Ral Partha Europe, Justin from the Oldhammer FB group, Ral Partha Europe, and Krakon Games.

Time is getting a little tighter for me, so I cut a few corners but I still think they all look pretty good!

Post Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:00 pm

Nice one! What really impresses me are the bases, such great details there.

I have made a good start on my zombie dragon, hopefully pics to follow on sunday.

Post Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:54 am

Thanks. I like to add a little extra detail & color on the undead bases --especially the big ones -- to contrast with the limited pallets of my undead figures. These one's were a bit of a rushed mess, though. First time trying out some pre-made tufts, too. I usually use cheap paintbrush bristles (sometimes stained with paint or ink.) But this was a nice change, as they were already prepped & gathered in bunches.

Next up for Deadcember's paint-a-thon (December is shaping up to involve more painting than the entire rest of the year at this pace) is a group of five skeletons that I believe are old Citadel. I'm not sure, I got them as part of a trade. They are bigger than the Nightmare Legion, but they will probably end up as filling in odd units either in the Legion or elsewhere, as needed. They're really nice sculpts, I wish I had more that were similar to this. I've had no luck in finding old metal skeletons, though -- other than these, obviously. Shields are Empire heaters with the tiny hole filled in & sanded smooth.

Post Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:25 am

Rapid work on two more figures for Deadcember. And more cheating. ;)

One is a wight that I got in a trade. It was painted very close to my own style, so I just kept the paint, gave him a new shield and base. I think it's another old Citadel figure.

The other is the third of my vulture sculpts. Finally painted after working on the sculpting for many long years, and then the figure has been primed and sitting on my desk since earlier this year. (I got frustrated with his staff and stole the top and bottom from the GW Mordheim sprue.) Going with the limited pallette of the Undeadish again -- but I probably still could have done a little better. Worked on it in little five minute increments, whenever I could get to it, over the past few days. I should get a photo of the three sculpts together.

Post Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:57 pm

Love the vulture, he looks excellent!

Post Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:05 pm

An excellent start! Well done, chaps 8-)

Post Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:18 am

Dead crop fields count, right? A few years ago when I was working on terrain, I could't find plain coir mats anywhere. For whatever reason, they all had printed designs (borders, graphics, text, etc.) on them. I happened to notice plain (and inexpensive) ones this past week at the local Home Despot (Home Depot = US hardware chain, I usually add the S.) I should have picked up a pile of them for more extensive croplands. Maybe after the holidays.

Post Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:38 am

My first (hopefully of many) offerings for Deadcember, the classic Tom Meier Zombie Dragon and a proxy Mikael Jacsen. The bases aren't done yet as I'm going to base the whole lot at the same time as I make the terrain they're going onto (hopefully over Christmas- nothing like optimism about how much I'll get done!).

The colour scheme for the dragon is based on the stunning Blanche painting:

Post Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:23 pm

Nice work. I really like the contrast of the red vs. black. That dragon is such a.classic model, and I've always loved the illustration as well.

Post Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:36 pm

As promised on page 1
A Vampire

More on the blog

https://putpainton.blogspot.co.uk/

Cheers
PreviousNext

Return to Painting Challenges