Octobers Painting Challenge with Halloween Bonus

I managed to get my Orcs painted up for Orctober and even got couple extra test models in.

Orctober1_zps701b9fda.jpg

Orctober22_zpsa55a3005.jpg

Orctober222_zps629796c2.jpg

phreedh

Nice stuff, Tartar. I also painted a few of the Harboth's orc this orctober. Posted a pic in the june challenge thread, but it seems nobody have seen it as I haven't received congratulations on finishing my june challenge. In Orctober. =D

tmp_orcs1.jpg

tmp_orcs2.jpg

So there we have it. Just missing the musician, who is still taking a bath.

Grumdril

We are impressed phreedh, especially that you had the foresight in June to know to delay these until Orctober! :) The cheiftain is looking especially good.

My lot aren't up to your standard I'm afraid, but are the best painted orcs I've done in a long time...! Only the ones without shields done so far, and I know they're not technically finished as they're not based either :(

Being irregular troops (to put it mildly!) they don't have uniforms, but as a couple of the existing painted archers had some red in their clothing I thought I'd go with that as a theme for a few of them. There's also quite a lot of buckskin leather going around, which hopefully between the two colours will give some sort of unit look to them.

I'm not quite sure if there's something wrong with the casting on the left, or if he's meant to have an eyepatch. I'm calling it an eyepatch though! I have just spotted though that I failed to paint a tusk... :(

archersFinNoShields.jpg

archersFinNoShieldsBack.jpg

phreedh

Grumdril":10pksaky said:
We are impressed phreedh, especially that you had the foresight in June to know to delay these until Orctober! :)
Cheers Grum. I know, uncanny - isn't it? =D

Your arrer boys look great! Finish up the bases and job's a good'un. =)

Tart: The shields caused me some problems initially as the fluff says the boyz adorn their shields with various profanities. Didn't feel like going down the route I would've taken as a 13-year old so instead of painting knobs I went for dead dwarfs. After all, their battle cry is "Pulp the stunties!".

Grumdril

Finally done on the lads with shields. Sad to see it's taken me a couple of weeks, although that's as much down to real life as the shields themselves. These didn't work out quite as I'd planned - the concept is that they take shields from their fallen enemies, daub them with the crossed arrows sign, and off they go. At least three things let me down though - insufficient preparation on the shields making them messy and hard to paint, some poor choice of colours (too dark in tone) and not really having the hang of how to shade a big flat shape. More practice needed!

They've not come out too badly though - with just the underlying colours on it was all looking like it'd go horribly wrong, but actually the arrows ties them together quite well and gives a good impression of an irregular unit.

Anyway, just the newly painted shielded chaps -
archersShieldsGrp.jpg

The whole unit together. Well, sort of - another 9 or so to add another day, but not just yet. Three of these I painted in my teens, with the champion just having his skin re-done this time around, and him and 45-degree-chap having their shields updated to the new look -
archersFinAll.jpg

archersFinFront.jpg

Right, November's challenge is to do the basis, plus some terrain for the next OGG get-together...!

Paul / Grumdril

Masterwork

I want those Ogres!!!

Maybe if I'm a good boy for the rest of the year, Father Christmas will bring to them for me for Christmas. I guess I can dream...

Let's see those ogres in a game ASAP!

Those ogres are perfect! I can only hope mine come out half as well! Great sculpts, great painting. The red-tones noses work well, I think I'll try to work that into mine.

Thantsants

Well done all so far! 8-)

Here are my efforts - you may have seen them already on the blog but I've finally got round to uploading them.

Hooray - I finally completed a painting challenge! :mrgreen:

Asslessman

Splendid army and the "in situ" photos are giving the best of them. Would love to see thisone in the flesh...erm in the bone, well you get what I mean right?

phreedh

Nice work Steve, looks really good! No wonder you've been so quiet for a while. =D Glad to see Kraustie is still at it!

VanLoon

Beautiful army Thantsants, and beautifully photographed. Looks so evocative marching out of such nice terrain.

And I really love the Zombie Dragon!

Fimm McCool

Are we having a December challenge? I'm super-busy and need encouragement/motivation/badgering to get on with the next unit! :grin:

Back