Big April Challenge - '18

Having trouble getting anything painted? Join our monthly challenges or group projects!

Moderator: Moderators

Post Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:35 am

Re: Big April Challenge - '18

My Big April challenge is heading into it's third year. I realize this hasn't exactly caught on as much as I was hoping (paint some giants! post some photos! everybody loves giants! ;) ) but I'm going to keep up the effort as much as I am able! :D

So with Big April coming up, I'm looking forward to...

Giants! (And an ogre.) A bit ambitious, and slightly out of focus it seems. First will be finishing the paint on the Warploque giant. While that's going on, I will prep the other two -- from Heresy and Otherworld.

IF, by some miracle that all gets done, I have more in mind. I would still REALLY like to sculpt my own giant. Given the timing, that's been on my mind again and I think I've got a decent picture in my head of that I want to do. Also, I've got some more giants here, still waiting to be painted. I have several of the Reaper Bones giants from their last KS. These are a bit larger than the older sculpts, and in fact one is a resculpt of one I've previously painted.

I've also got the extra heads from the Otherworld giant. The web site says to select one, but they ended up sending all three. I could try to magnetize them so they're swapable. Or maybe I can work out a way to get an extra giant out of the deal...

...oooooor maybe not. :lol:

Post Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:16 am

Getting trampled with those shoes should do some serious damage. And sexiest legs on a giant ever :lol:

I will try to join in with a giant.
ImageImageImage

Post Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:53 pm

I'll join in if I can get a head for my headless C28 giant.

Post Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:53 pm

After failing miserably to complete my Grenadier War Giant to first year you ran with this, I now find myself with no 'big' figures to paint :oops: , so all will be depending upon my current E-bay bids to settle - if, I have anything to attempt this year - time will tell. :lol:

Paul/Golgfag1
How can I ever have enough stuff, I don't need.

https://golgfags.blogspot.co.uk/

Post Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:29 pm

Well I for one have been looking forward to April and seeing more giants, even if I don't get much done myself - I seem to be have been too busy to paint much since around this time last year.

So that's where I'll pick up. I've slapped some base coats onto my Mierce cyclops, and started experimenting with washes, blending and lots of drybrushing on the base (which is 80mm wide, for scale). He needs at least one more layer of base coat over pretty much his whole body, 'cos the ochre doesn't really cover the black undercoat. I'm tempted to leave the soil quite dark on the base and glue on lots of lighter greenery, but I'm not fully decided yet.

I've also started assembling the Great Imperial Dragon - I know he's not a giant, but he's pretty big.

If I somehow finish either of these I'll get started on my Miece Jotun, seen here relaxing after a wash in warm soapy water, alongside some freshly stripped Chaos Dwarfs that I picked up for next to nothing in my local junk-shop on Saturday. The Jotun's fists are bigger than the dwarfs, although they're almost the worst possible mini to use for scaling a giant.

Post Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:33 am

:shock: Awesome painting, but a bit more of that giant than I needed to see. :lol:

I do like those Mierce giants. Unfortunately they've been out of my price range...

Golgfag1 wrote:After failing miserably to complete my Grenadier War Giant to first year you ran with this, I now find myself with no 'big' figures to paint

Did you finish that one, though? (If so, post it here anyway!) That's one of two Grenadier giants that I'd really like to add to my own collection.

So, I painted the ogre, which isn't exactly in my own theme. So if you want to see the pic, check out the Showroom. I've had a little time to work on the Warploque giant. One pic, but go to the blog to see more, in the best entry title I think I've ever come up with... Warploque Drunk Walter Skank Jerk Matthau

Post Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:31 pm

OK, my giant has arrived, only it's no giant - following a small amount of brass rubbing and use of a magnifying glass - I found it's a figurine produced by Phoenix model developments ltd, female warrior with snake! I'll still paint it up as it's of a suitable size, but I can't see it getting a run out over a wargames table :lol: :lol: . :lol:

Giantess.jpg
Giantess.jpg (344.98 KiB) Viewed 615 times

Paul/Golgfag1

Post Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:47 pm

She's awesome; you should use her as an Avatar of Rigg!
I am a servant of the Secret Fire

Post Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:45 pm

Stormbringer wrote:She's awesome; you should use her as an Avatar of Rigg!

I'm certainly considering that option or at least a giantess for my Amazons, I'm more concerned with what type of insignia to paint on her stockings! :lol:

Paul/Golgfag1

Post Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:35 am

I agree, would work well with the old amazons. Looking forward to seeing that painted.

Slowly painting Walter's loot. (Yes, that will be his name - or some variation of it.) He's got a pig, goat, goose, maiden, sausages, and a bunch of other little details...

PreviousNext

Return to Painting Challenges