Big April Challenge - '17

Having trouble getting anything painted? Join our monthly challenges or group projects!

Moderator: Moderators

Post Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:48 pm

Re: Big April Challenge - '17

I wasn´t planning on painting him yet but I just might join in and at least start putting some paint on.

He is a Louis Marx & co 1963 Caveman that I got as a free bonus when I bought a big job lot of goblinoids a couple of moths ago. I added some shields and bandages to him on sprayed him black. He stands about as tall as a Marauder giant. I have another one from the same series that I have no use of. PM me if interested.

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ3n4MiTV3d1L4VhXSDlmLqf2MDf1mZA0OIQbyAv_Z4BOX4xG9zNg
Just an example, my one is unpainted.

Post Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:55 am

Progress!

I spent most of the weekend assembling the big Mierce cyclops (actually about the same size as a Marauder giant so not huge, as giants go). I've pinned everything except his horns and the base details (mostly from Battleforge) with Araldite; for those I just used superglue. There's some work needed to tidy up the joints but he's more-of-less assembled. I was also working on a second Russian Alternative troll of chaos, which I've made a real balls up of so far - pinned an arm at the wrong angle so had to build up a big gap with Araldite, and snapped both his ankles somehow - one of them I wasn't even touching at the time! I've done what I can to brace the weak points and I'll have to quickly learn how to sculpt over the rough areas. I'm thinking of Nurgling him up a bit because I'm terrible at sculpting and buboes seem like they'd hide a multitude of sins.

I've blocked out the colours on Kifaro. He's been intimidating me by virtue of being a limited edition, and also I think the biggest mini I've tackled (prior to the cyclops). I didn't pin him. His hands are pretty short and have two points of contact with the main bulk of the miniature, and his arm seemed to lock in place really neatly. After getting the paint on I realised there's a mold line right on his nose, so I'll have to cover that up or file it away and re-prime and paint that area.

Lastly, I've assembled, primed and laid down the base layer and a very heavy wash on my ambull. I made the fungi and spores on the base using green stuff.

Boromir and a Citadel gnome for scale.

UrchinJoe_Big_April_Progress_1st_Weekend.jpg
UrchinJoe_Big_April_Progress_1st_Weekend.jpg (227.13 KiB) Viewed 526 times

Best,

Joe.

Post Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:35 am

Very cool!

My Big April challenge/theme is going slow. But I got a little work done...

Post Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:03 pm

Coming along nicely. Lovely skin tones.
"We attack at dawn. The plan is victory." - unknown

Post Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:22 am

Thank you. My favorite part about painting giants is being able to experiment more on the flesh.

Almost done with that Tom Meier Cloud Giant...

Post Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:58 am

One done...

Still working on some others...

Post Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:19 am

Snuck in some time to hide in the basement today (Easter) like a sneaky troll and finish up the old Citadel C28 giant. He was missing a weapon, so I sculpted him a new club. I was originally going to be satisfied with just one of these multi-piece giant, but I think I would like to get all three bodies.

Post Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:49 am

i like his tartan jerkin!

Post Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:14 pm

I like the base decorations. The toadstools on the Tom Meier giant especially.
"We attack at dawn. The plan is victory." - unknown

Post Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:16 am

Out of curiosity, is that a particular tartan? I used the Clan MacLeod hunting tartan for a miniature with a Scottish look about her once. And yours looks a little like one called the "Carolina Tartan", were I to simplify it for miniaturization purposes. (As I did to the poor MacLeod girl.) Anyway, the plaid is lovely and his eyes look fantastic. These giant guys are going nowhere but up!
PreviousNext

Return to Painting Challenges