Big April Challenge - '18

Re: My Big April Challenge

Niibl":3kvdarc4 said:
Lots of pinning to do as well, due to the weight.
But first things first- I need to keep it from toppling over. I need to build a base.

One thing I loved about the Marauder giant was how well it went together. I opted for a larger base than normal because of the toppling issue.

Harry":3kvdarc4 said:
Here's mine ..... eaasiest colour scheme EVAAAAAAARRR!!!! :grin:

I've seen him before (probably on Warseer?) and love what you did with him.

Harry":3kvdarc4 said:
I Also like collecting giants ... However, I have managed to paint a few ..... do you want to see my painted ones? Do Ya? :grin:

At the end of the month I was going to post a pic of the giants I've finished, plus a group shot with the rest of my painted giants. One of my favorite pages at Stuff of Legends is Richard/Orclord's giant collection. I confess to sometimes just visiting the page and drooling over the collection. Maybe we should start an entirely separate collective giant show-off thread? :mrgreen:

My own progress, as promised, here's what "came to mind." Just base colors blocked out so far.

giants07_zpslb90qgd8.jpg

Harry

ZeroTwentythree":26vn1iy1 said:
Maybe we should start an entirely separate collective giant show-off thread? :mrgreen:
"Show off your big 'uns" ? :shock:

Here is my Bug un undercoated .... seen this model from afar for years ..... had no idea there was so much nice detail on him ....

You're right. You could spend several months painting that one giant. Especially factoring in the platform. :o

I am up late tonight, trying to catch up a bit of the Marauder giant, and he's finally coming together. I did take a few shortcuts. I would guess about 90% of the painting is done. Refining a number of areas, details, etc. and then on to the base.

giants08_zps9pfxi1wa.jpg

I had started writing up some background for him, but didn't like the way it sounded. So I will get back to that at some point.

Niibl

Assembly is done- with only one small detail remaining to decide on:
Should i replace the squashed, crooked skull? Such questions can drive me mad and can delay projects for months. :roll:
Still, I thought it would be time for a picture.
In addition, I used the opportunity to take one of my old beast man giant as well.

Attachments

• chaos_giant_size comparison.jpg
    chaos_giant_size comparison.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 3,740
  • Asgard_giant_size_comparison.jpg
    Asgard_giant_size_comparison.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 3,740
  • Asgard_giant_skull_detail.jpg
    Asgard_giant_skull_detail.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 3,740

I agree, keep the skull. It's got a charm to it, and doesn't really need to be perfectly aligned on a functional/used battle helm.

That re-purposed action figure is amazing! :o The painting is beautiful, and the pose looks nicely balanced. How much of that is your sculpting?

I finished up the painting on the Marauder giant, but can't decide what to do for the base. While I give that a bit of thought, I've started on the next giant -- the Ultraforge giant.

He's the largest giant I've got. Pretty well sculpted, though not as nicely cast as the Marauder or Warploque giants. He required the most clean-up of the four I'm attempting to paint this month, and there are still some visible mold lines/slips. The resin is lightweight, which is a nice change from awkwardly handling the lead Marauder giant while painting.

The big guy is mostly flesh surfaces, so I'm trying to keep that interesting. I put a bit of work into that tonight, but still have more refinement & clean-up. His face still looks a bit like raw meat. (Not that that's entirely a bad thing...) The colors aren't quite coming through in the pics, but I hope they give a good idea where it's going.

giants09_zpstwuujl7c.jpg

giants09b_zpsogupzdjz.jpg

Golgfag1

Nice work, your putting me to shame, I must sit down this week & finish mine (might not get the goblins done , but the giants certainly a good prospect). :grin:

Paul / Golgfag1

Niibl

Ultraforge eh? Thanks for the reminder. I thought they were out of business but it seems that they aren't
One more money sink then...
The design is somewhat rough but the model still has much potential and I am sure that you will make a stunning model out of it.

So I will keep the Skull on the helmet, but I will probably add some GS to smooth out the offset.
I hope I will have the opportunity to come home early this week, on a day with some sunshine, so that I can prime that guy properly.
I think I have never painted such a beast before.

The beatsman giant was based on this guy.
Mostly I covered the clothes with green stuff, added tusks and horns and resculpt the breast area.
I instantly "saw" the pose when I saw the figure in an online shop and just had to do this.
There is a lot of fishing lead in that base to keep him upright. still, the table should not be rocked too much.

Golgfag1

OK, settled down for an hour or so today and have managed to add a few more bits of paint, estimate I should be able to start adding the detail in the next couple of days with a bit of luck.

enjoy

Paul / Golgfag1

Attachments

• Top coat 5.JPG
    Top coat 5.JPG
    103.7 KB · Views: 3,674
  • Top coat 4.JPG
    Top coat 4.JPG
    97.6 KB · Views: 3,674
  • Top coat 3.JPG
    Top coat 3.JPG
    95.7 KB · Views: 3,674
  • Top coat 2.JPG
    Top coat 2.JPG
    105.1 KB · Views: 3,674
  • Top coat 1.JPG
    Top coat 1.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 3,674

Wow, that's a lot of painting. Looking good so far!

I've had some distractions and responsibilities come up, so I'm aiming to get just three giants done by the end of the month. I don't want to rush either of the remaining two -- they're great models and deserve a certain degree of respect. So I think I will scale back my goal and finish the Ultraforge giant over the course of this next week, and maybe start laying down some base colors on the Warploque model and then finish him sometime in May. I'll still do a group photo at the end of April, though.

Illness, back problems, and other distractions have kept me from even my reduced goal. But I'm OK with that. I got motivated enough to paint up some giant-- the skeleton is entirely done, the Marauder giant is completely painted and just needs the base finished, the Ultraforge giant is over halfway done, and the Warploque giant... well, maybe I will get those last two finished in May.

giants10_zps47l8hd0u.jpg

And, as promised, here's a pic with my other, previously painted giants.

giants10b_zpsfvmyvr1z.jpg

Golgfag1

Well done, you got way more done than I did - the giant's just about there, but the platform & crew are still in their undercoats and I've way too much to do today have it finished by midnight - I'll post pictures in May of the completed model ;)

Paul / Golgfag1

Niibl

Seems I am falling behind-no way I can finish my giant today. I hope I will be able to post some progress though.

Harry

Ohhhhhhhh!!!! I didn't know we were trying to finish them in April. :grin: :oops: :cry:

Jeff McC":3cu0fd5x said:
Well, you know they were "big" projects.... :lol:

Sorry - couldn't resist..

I was thinking the same thing. :lol:

And realistically, yes they literally are big projects.

Harry":3cu0fd5x said:
Ohhhhhhhh!!!! I didn't know we were trying to finish them in April. :grin: :oops: :cry:

Well, that was the initial idea/dream. As it turns out, that's pretty difficult. The only reason I may seem to have been more productive is that one of my giants was almost entire bone. All for fun & motivation and I don't think it's worth anyone rushing on a big centerpiece figure. But the "challenge" did work! A group of us are now painting up our neglected giants. :grin:

Re: Big April Challenge - '17

I enjoyed concocting an excuse to paint some of my giant collection last year, and even got a game with an all-giant army at the last Oldhammer USA Day.

20161001_172001_zps0olylh1a.jpg

So I'm going to do it again for April, 2017!

Once again my goals are large (heh heh) and probably larger than possible. But that's OK. I still have the Warploque giant primed & ready to go from last year, along with a few more. My usual Empire volunteer included, as usual, for scale reference.

bigapril17-00_zpsv28hlf8q.jpg

Not pictured above is one more, The Otherworld GIant. (Ignore the trolls for the moment, I will get to those later ;) ) Just got him in the mail, so he needs some clean-up and assembly.

april17-pre-wip.jpg

Looking forward to doing this again! But for now -- still a week of Marsh/March left, so I'm going to try squeezing in a bit more swampy themed stuff for that challenge.

UrchinJoe

Re: Big April Challenge - '17

Hi!

I just signed up yesterday and I'd like to get involved in this giant April challenge. I'm a very slow painter - it's just taken me nearly six months to paint a half-dozen halfling-sized minis - so I'll have to set some more modest goals for myself. I'll try to finish my Ambull (it's hardly a giant, but it's a chunky enough monster and an April Ambull seems like a good fit), make a start on my Studio McVey 'Kifaro', and assemble my Mierce 'Cormoragg, Savage Oghuruc'. Only one of them's old, but the other two seem to fit the bill for Oldhammer.

ZeroTwentythree, I'm super excited to see the Otherworld Giant. I love Otherworld Miniatures, and I've not seen too many examples of this one painted (other than their official marketing photos). It's got to be one of the biggest giants on the market too, right?

Best,

Joe.

Attachments

• Giant_April_Challenge_2017_UrchinJoe.jpg
    Giant_April_Challenge_2017_UrchinJoe.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 3,682
Back