Big April Challenge - '18

I enjoyed the March painting challenge, and although I didn't actually paint anything, the idea of Deadcember was one I could get behind if I had the time.

So April... I'm just making this one up, since I can't really work "giants" into any amusing wordplay involving a month, nor does anything come to mind for a good April theme, other than the Fellowship of the Ring ("Fly you fools!") -- which I don't have any plans for. So giants it is. This may be a one man Big April Challenge. I'm OK with that. But if anyone else has some long neglected big guys they'd like to paint, feel free to join me!

giants01_zpsfvcisdhl.jpg

I just spent a bit of time cleaning my favored victims subjects. From left to right, Warploque, Marauder, and Ultraforge. All three are great models, but I'm especially looking forward to that Warploque giant. It'd really got an oldschool vibe to it, and is full of great detail.

I didn't expect to have any spare time this weekend, so getting to work on these was a pleasant surprise. It looks like I may have another spare hour or two, so I may either clean up the Reaper Colossal Skeleton as well and/or start assembling these.

EDIT:

Quick assembly. Still need to do some gap filling in a few spots.

giants02_zpshci3f2p3.jpg

Re: My Big April Challenge

I bought the Marauder Giant ages ago and started painting him (and stripped him) twice. Now, he is just lying unassambled in a box until I can decide how to paint his clothes. On one hand I like the way he is painted on the box picture, but on the other hand I don't want to just make a copy of that paintjob. Maybe your paintjob will bring me new inspiration.

I agree that the Warploque Giant is especially nice. It has a dynamic pose and a very characterful face. Actually, I think he fits into the Warhammer universe even better than the Marauder Giant does :)

Golgfag1

You've set yourself a big goal, having painted the Marauder Giant myself, I can appreciate the task - good luck, your going to need it to finish by the end of the month ( I set myself similar targets for the year and fail, but it doesn't stop me trying). This wasn't on my to do list, but it just so happens I have Grenadier Goblin War Giant in the attic which has been collecting dust for way, too long, so lets give it a go!

All the best

Paul / Golgfag1

Attachments

• GO018M.jpg
    GO018M.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 7,020

LilBroGrendel":54wxkr9u said:
I bought the Marauder Giant ages ago and started painting him (and stripped him) twice. Now, he is just lying unassambled in a box until I can decide how to paint his clothes. On one hand I like the way he is painted on the box picture, but on the other hand I don't want to just make a copy of that paintjob. Maybe your paintjob will bring me new inspiration.

I've started on him but still haven't figured out the clothing yet, either.

LilBroGrendel":54wxkr9u said:
I agree that the Warploque Giant is especially nice. It has a dynamic pose and a very characterful face. Actually, I think he fits into the Warhammer universe even better than the Marauder Giant does :)

I suspect that may partially be due to differences between the casting materials, and how far resin has evolved since the Marauder giant was first produced.

Golgfag1":54wxkr9u said:
This wasn't on my to do list, but it just so happens I have Grenadier Goblin War Giant in the attic which has been collecting dust for way, too long, so lets give it a go!

I *love* that model. A classic, but I've seen far too few of them painted - looking forward to it!

i want to get a goblin war giant one day. great model.

i feel intimidated by the marauder giant. i have one, but i don't really know where to begin with it. one day i'll a grip on it, but not today!

I went with the easy one first. (Apologies, as it's also probably the least "Oldhammer"-ish) The Big Bone. Maybe it's for the sense of accomplishment -- first giant done by the end of the first week. Mostly done. I still might make a few touch-ups. The Marauder Giant is next!

giants04_zpsmyq5rreu.jpg

giants05_zpsollq5k81.jpg

Golgfag1

God, you're putting me to shame - I haven't even opened the loft hatch yet! Will go now and at least find the thing :lol:

Well done

Paul / Golgfag1

Harry

Golgfag1":38ie7xuj said:
God, you're putting me to shame - I haven't even opened the loft hatch yet! Will go now and at least find the thing :lol:

Well done

Paul / Golgfag1
OK Paul, I picked up the Grenadier War Giant you put me on to .... so I am going to increase the pressure and see if I can get mine done this month too. Currently in 'The Dip'. so you have head start. :grin:

@Zero'
Great stuff you are cracking on with these. Painted both these two. Don't own the other two so will look forward to seeing those one.

Best of luck fellas.

Asslessman

And now my marauder giant is winking at me...

Great stuff so far, you're on a roll !

Chico

Missed this, love your Reaper Bone Giant. wanted one for awhile now

Golgfag1

Ok, found the big fella and assembled him, currently in the green house drying having applied first coat of undercoat Pictures below of the before and after my paint station is looking a whole lot clearer given the amount of space this chap needs. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Paul / Golgfag1

Attachments

• Close up of the big fella.JPG
    Close up of the big fella.JPG
    82.5 KB · Views: 3,138
  • My cleared painting station.JPG
    My cleared painting station.JPG
    78 KB · Views: 3,138
  • The big fella assembled.JPG
    The big fella assembled.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 3,138
  • workbench.JPG
    workbench.JPG
    164 KB · Views: 3,136

Harry

Mine is out of 'The dip'.... you are just one step ahead of me.
Hoping to get it built tommorow.

EDIT: Actually ... two steps ... I have to clear a space first too. :grin:

Golgfag1

Ah the race on then, here's the first couple of pictures with base coats applied, not a lot to see really but gives you an idea of how this might turn out! Crew and super-structure under construction & receiving undercoat as I type. 8-) I have to get a flying start as I assume your on holiday at the moment? :lol:

Paul / Golgfag1

Attachments

• base coats C.JPG
    base coats C.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 3,119
  • base coats B.JPG
    base coats B.JPG
    72.9 KB · Views: 3,119
  • base coats A.JPG
    base coats A.JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 3,119

Niibl

Thanks for the inspiration, motivation, challenge (what ever).
All the talk about giants (and the pretty pictures too) made me search for an old giant I knew I had somewhere.
I finally found it, alongside other stuff i did not know I had :oops: and started building it.
I doubt I will finish it as it is a horrible model to put together and I should be painting for BOYL anyway.
But at least I could bring it into an upright position (and that way it might go back into storage for the next 25+ years).
Well, lets see how far I can get. :grin:

Attachments

• Asgard_Giant.jpg
    Asgard_Giant.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 3,098

Golgfag1

Welcome to the Big challenge, nice old figure - Now the sixty five thousand dollar question, who made it, what is it and just how big is it? :grin:

Paul / Golgfag1

Harry

Damn ... that's the Asgard Giant. Only ever seen one painted .... and never seen one up close. Loads of great detail. You GOT to paint it now.

@Paul ... I think it is about an inch bigger that the Marauder Giant.... so shoulder to shoulder with the grenadier one we are painting.... a fraction taller due to his head being on top of his body. :grin:

EDIT: I got so excited I forgot to say that mine is built and will be undercoated tonight .... so I am snapping at your heels. :grin:

@Zero' Thanks for this. Look what you have started. We need these sort of threads to nudge us into activity.

I'm glad the idea took off a bit! I wasn't sure anyone else would be interested. I really like collecting giants, and there are some great figures available. But they seem to be something that I've picked up, but then neglect to paint. Seeing these giants & updates has brought a smile to my face.

That Asgard giant is new to me. Looks good!

As for my own efforts, I've been stuck on colors for the Marauder giant's clothes, so no progress. If I can get some free time tonight, I'm either going to just sit down and paint whatever comes to mind.

Harry

ZeroTwentythree":1vima4ar said:
As for my own efforts, I've been stuck on colors for the Marauder giant's clothes, so no progress. If I can get some free time tonight, I'm either going to just sit down and paint whatever comes to mind.
Here's mine ..... eaasiest colour scheme EVAAAAAAARRR!!!! :grin:

img9637a.jpg

I Also like collecting giants ... However, I have managed to paint a few ..... do you want to see my painted ones? Do Ya? :grin:

Niibl

Harry":3tvxo52l said:
Damn ... that's the Asgard Giant. Only ever seen one painted .... and never seen one up close. Loads of great detail. You GOT to paint it now.
Yep. Its the Asgard Giant. I bought it ages ago in a fantasy shop in Germany-some time in the late 80ies.
At that time the selections were much more diverse/ obscure.

That guy has horrible flashes and he soaks greenstuff like a sponge.
It is also hard to tell if some "details" are really details or just there by accident (and if they are details, what are they?)
One shield on the belt has an offset that makes me think about filing it flat and sticking a new one to it.
Lots of pinning to do as well, due to the weight.
But first things first- I need to keep it from toppling over. I need to build a base.

Back