Big April Challenge - '17

Having trouble getting anything painted? Join our monthly challenges or group projects!

Moderator: Moderators

Post Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:37 pm

Re: My Big April Challenge

yeah, looking good.

fadsfdsafasdf

Post Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:25 am

Wow, that's a lot of painting. Looking good so far!

I've had some distractions and responsibilities come up, so I'm aiming to get just three giants done by the end of the month. I don't want to rush either of the remaining two -- they're great models and deserve a certain degree of respect. So I think I will scale back my goal and finish the Ultraforge giant over the course of this next week, and maybe start laying down some base colors on the Warploque model and then finish him sometime in May. I'll still do a group photo at the end of April, though.

Post Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:28 am

Illness, back problems, and other distractions have kept me from even my reduced goal. But I'm OK with that. I got motivated enough to paint up some giant-- the skeleton is entirely done, the Marauder giant is completely painted and just needs the base finished, the Ultraforge giant is over halfway done, and the Warploque giant... well, maybe I will get those last two finished in May.

And, as promised, here's a pic with my other, previously painted giants.

Post Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:54 am

Well done, you got way more done than I did - the giant's just about there, but the platform & crew are still in their undercoats and I've way too much to do today have it finished by midnight - I'll post pictures in May of the completed model ;)

Paul / Golgfag1
How can I ever have enough stuff, I don't need.

https://www.tumblr.com/blog/grumpyoldbadger

Post Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:43 am

Seems I am falling behind-no way I can finish my giant today. I hope I will be able to post some progress though.
ImageImage

Post Sun May 01, 2016 5:04 pm

Well, you know they were "big" projects.... :lol:

Sorry - couldn't resist..
Image ImageImageImage

In Dreamfish we trust
In Dreamfish we trust

Post Mon May 02, 2016 1:20 pm

Ohhhhhhhh!!!! I didn't know we were trying to finish them in April. :D :oops: :cry:

Post Mon May 02, 2016 3:03 pm

Jeff McC wrote:Well, you know they were "big" projects.... :lol:

Sorry - couldn't resist..

I was thinking the same thing. :lol:

And realistically, yes they literally are big projects.

Harry wrote:Ohhhhhhhh!!!! I didn't know we were trying to finish them in April. :D :oops: :cry:

Well, that was the initial idea/dream. As it turns out, that's pretty difficult. The only reason I may seem to have been more productive is that one of my giants was almost entire bone. All for fun & motivation and I don't think it's worth anyone rushing on a big centerpiece figure. But the "challenge" did work! A group of us are now painting up our neglected giants. :D

Post Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:34 pm

Re: Big April Challenge - '17

I enjoyed concocting an excuse to paint some of my giant collection last year, and even got a game with an all-giant army at the last Oldhammer USA Day.

So I'm going to do it again for April, 2017!

Once again my goals are large (heh heh) and probably larger than possible. But that's OK. I still have the Warploque giant primed & ready to go from last year, along with a few more. My usual Empire volunteer included, as usual, for scale reference.

Not pictured above is one more, The Otherworld GIant. (Ignore the trolls for the moment, I will get to those later ;) ) Just got him in the mail, so he needs some clean-up and assembly.

Looking forward to doing this again! But for now -- still a week of Marsh/March left, so I'm going to try squeezing in a bit more swampy themed stuff for that challenge.

Post Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:08 am

Re: Big April Challenge - '17

Hi!

I just signed up yesterday and I'd like to get involved in this giant April challenge. I'm a very slow painter - it's just taken me nearly six months to paint a half-dozen halfling-sized minis - so I'll have to set some more modest goals for myself. I'll try to finish my Ambull (it's hardly a giant, but it's a chunky enough monster and an April Ambull seems like a good fit), make a start on my Studio McVey 'Kifaro', and assemble my Mierce 'Cormoragg, Savage Oghuruc'. Only one of them's old, but the other two seem to fit the bill for Oldhammer.

Giant_April_Challenge_2017_UrchinJoe.jpg
Giant_April_Challenge_2017_UrchinJoe.jpg (99.52 KiB) Viewed 410 times

ZeroTwentythree, I'm super excited to see the Otherworld Giant. I love Otherworld Miniatures, and I've not seen too many examples of this one painted (other than their official marketing photos). It's got to be one of the biggest giants on the market too, right?

Best,

Joe.
PreviousNext

Return to Painting Challenges