What about a nice group project? The knight project

Dreamfish

Administrator
Re: What about a nice group project?

I got one... I was planning on going medieval on him with my airbrush. I was thinking of blending various bright colors on its body and wings.

Asslessman

Chico":1pqu0olc said:
You can always use the current Death Chicken, its failcast but alot easyier to find.

Or

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GW-WHFB-Citad ... 5d38876b0c

the wings are separate auction.

I fond the finecast quite good actually but it's not the look I'm looking for. Since I'm mounting a brettonian on this one, I'm looking at a very fine combat rooster with magnificent feathers and all...
Ruining the old cockatrix with my poor sculpting skills kinda turns me down...

If I ever find a set of plastic toys os farm animals I'm keeping the rooster but who do I give the sheep to then? (still didn't get who shall claim it ;) ) Scots are lucky, a unicorn is not a hard find... Some may have even tougher times finding a springbock or a koala/kangaroo

Asslessman

Sorry about the double post,

Found myslef the perfect mount for my french brettonian knight, this went directly in dettol and after stripping is done, I'll start some conversion to make the legs somehow more dynamic and try to leave room for the knight.

Anyone has a brettonian knight to sell/spare ?

By the way, I found most of the animals you could think of in about the same scale which is completely not realistic but perfectly adapted to receive a 28mm fantasy knight...

Attachments

• poulet.jpg
    poulet.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 2,086

axiom

I love the idea of group projects - a modelling one sounds like a lot of fun.

In the same vein are you familiar with the concept of Legacy Teams which have spawned out of Blood Bowl forums & tournaments? Basically the group agrees a team, all participants donate & paint a model in an agreed colour scheme. When all contributions are received, there's a draw and one lucky contributor wins the team. This could be an approach we could adapt (decide a warband theme, all contribute a model & someone gets a lovely little collection!)

Asslessman

I love the idea a lot.

The "Knight project" could also benefit from that by exchanging randomly each knight between the contestants when it's done, I believe this would be a very nice present (maybe not mine considering my skills :? )

phreedh

28mm moose tips, please. I have a viking lord who needs to mount a moose.

Asslessman

phreedh":n0j4l9vm said:
28mm moose tips, please. I have a viking lord who needs to mount a moose.

I'll have a look at lunchtime, I think I saw one that might do (a 4£ plastic put quite detailed plastic toy). Do you want a perfectly sclaed model or do you want one that's just the good size to put a knight on? (The answer is obvious for a rooster or a sheep but a true scaled moose would look great (I remember evil-eyed Balor in the Slaine comics by Simon Bisley.... ah

There also could be the solution of converting the wood elf deer..
Happy to see peopkle get in this project.

I found myself a better suited rooster by the way

Attachments

• balor.jpg
    balor.jpg
    257.6 KB · Views: 2,035

phreedh

I'm looking for an in-scale representation of a male specimen of alces alces, to avoid any confusion regarding elk, moose, deer and such.

For reference:
358981.jpg

I know Mega Miniatures used to have one. Wonder who has that now and if it's big enough to not look like a pony with antlers.

Asslessman

OK, as far as plastic toys are concerned ther is this brand which makes good animals with quite good scultpts. It's flexible plastic but painted, it can look good imo. I couldn't see the scale at the shop near work so can't tell you, compared to the others, it may suitable even though not a real 28 mm.

I f anyone wants any kind of animal they have quite a lot of choice.

axiom

OK chaps, is this thing a goer? Looks like there's some appetite for making some cool knight models. Do we need a bit of structure (sign up thread, some guidelines, deadline), or is this a bit less formal?

If it's a modelling project / showcase thingy, I quite like the idea of monthly/bi-monthly themes (month 1 'knight', month 2 'wizard', month 3 'infantry' etc etc).

Anyway, I've got some ideas and want to get cracking on a knight figure (well, I need to buy the models first!) ;)

Harry

I have been trying to think of an amusing knight to represent me ... I decided rather than think about a national symbol I should bring it down to a local level ... (as there are few of us from England).

I live in Gloucestershire. Gloucestershire is famous for the The Gloucestershire Old Spot Pig.
Old spot is an English breed of pig which is predominantly white with black spots. It is named after the county of Gloucestershire where it originated ... a stones throw from where I live. It was usually kept in the cider and perry pear orchards of the area.

My Local pub is called The old spot (Repeated Winner of Best Pub in Britain from the Campaign for Real Ales) and the Old Spot Brewery is just down the road. :grin:

The description of Hobbits at the start of the Lord of the rings is essentially describing the good folk of Glocestershire. (and Shropshire where I was born and grew up)....and, indeed, me.

"Hobbits have been living and farming in the four Farthings of the Shire for many hundreds of years. Quite content to ignore and be ignored by the world of the Big Folk — Middle-Earth being, after all, full of strange creatures beyond count. Hobbits must seem of little importance, being neither renowned as great warriors, nor counted among the very wise. In fact, it has been remarked by some that the Hobbits' only real passion is for food.A rather unfair observation, as we have also developed a keen interest in the brewing of ales, and the smoking of pipe-weed. But where our hearts truly lie is in peace and quiet, and good tilled earth. For all Hobbits share a love of things that grow".

"and yes, no doubt, to others our ways seem quaint. But today, of all days, it is brought home to me, it is no bad thing to celebrate a simple life.

So in celebration of that simple life and all that is good in Gloucestershire my Knight shall be a Hobbit (hopefully with a pint in one hand) riding an Old Spot Pig.

Now I just need to find some toy pigs. :grin:

Asslessman

Excellent, Glad you two guys are getting into this !

@Axiom : I'm thinking about letting the first run being a test, since the project implies convesrion, finding the right parts (which seems to be rather hard for exotic animals) and it doesn't fit in one of our main projects. So for the time being, I am not sur we should have a strict deadline and a month seems very short. Since there seems to be 4 of us in the loop for the time being, we could wait to get a 5th and next time we can come up with an easier project maybe and then put a loose deadline, what do you think about it?

@Harry : You nailed exactly the spririt of it, I chose the rooster because it's the very specialty of my region on which is based all my brettonians, I build all my brettonians on the Brettonian equivalent of my region as can be read here. For your plastic toys, I found the brand Schleich is very good, it's actually where I bought my rooster from for 4£ and they have a lot of choice which can be found in many places (in France anyway). By the way, I really like the little background you've given to root your project, it's the ideal way of making this, I shall writ some little fluff about mine to promote my region too.

Fimm McCool

Harry":2yjokknz said:
So in celebration of that simple life and all that is good in Gloucestershire my Knight shall be a Hobbit (hopefully with a pint in one hand) riding an Old Spot Pig.

And my Halfling knight on New Forest Pony shall clobber your Hobbit Pigman into the dirt!

Harry

Fimm McCool":3mkxj603 said:
Harry":3mkxj603 said:

And my Halfling knight on New Forest Pony shall clobber your Hobbit Pigman into the dirt!
Having been to Frocester Beer Festival last night right now his little sister could clobber me.

axiom

Right then! I've decided on my theme - I live in a part of Nottingham called Beeston. There's a long historical association with beekeeping - bees are the emblem on the 1920s council offices, they're on the council coat of arms, there's even a statue of a beekeeper in the town.

So, bees it is! My plan doesn't involve a giant bee, but will feature beekeeping!

Just one more part to source and I can start working on the figure :)

Harry

Ral Partha used to make a Bee Knight ... riding a Bee.

Asslessman

Very good, I'm putting the names of the people involved in the first post with a brief title of the project (tell me if you want another name of course).
We can then decide what happens to all these wonderful projects, do we make a pack and offer them to the winner or do we exchange them randomly (some may also want to keep theirs).

Any more contestants are more than welcome!

axiom

Harry":1aknzq7k said:
Ral Partha used to make a Bee Knight ... riding a Bee.

I wish you hadn't told me that; I wouldn't have wasted the best part of an hour trying to track one down ;)

Back