The month of Marsh- season of Mists and mist monsters!

Fimm McCool

Yes, we're just 26 days away from the season of mists and hobby fruitfulness! That means it's time to lay down the boggy challenge, and I am, of course, talking about FIMIR!

Being a chap who generally has nothing on (two sourcebooks to write, full time job, board game rules to edit and prepare for printing, 15 custom sculpts on the workbench, Kickstarter to ship, dissertation to write, wife, pets...) I am being modest about what I can achieve and am setting myself the completion of some scenic bits to add to my swamp boards, catching up on the additions to my Fimir clan which I started in August with Mr Saturday and Chilled Monkeybrains' heads (thanks Mark!) and this morning after a post on facebook I ordered myself this:

e_baak_p_f.jpg

which I will be turning into my ultimate Fimir chieftain- as previously there's been a bit of a war between two Oakbound Tiarna and Diego's warlord as to who really rules the clan!

So, what are you up to for Marsh?

Cassarus

Great mini, looking forward to see how it turns out.
Im all about chaos dwarfs right now, and I'll proabably still be painting them.

Fimm McCool":l1xhhfaq said:
I ordered myself this:

e_baak_p_f.jpg

which I will be turning into my ultimate Fimir chieftain- as previously there's been a bit of a war between two Oakbound Tiarna and Diego's warlord as to who really rules the clan!

That's a great figure, and has the right look. Isn't it much larger, though? (Any chance of a size comparison photo?)

Fimm McCool":l1xhhfaq said:
So, what are you up to for Marsh?

I'm switching to some other things for a bit, but will probably be back to my small & slow moving Fomorian/Fimir project by Marsh. I just ordered a few more of the orcs I'm using for the bodies so I can see if it's practical to cast feet, or if I will need to sculpt them all individually. Still struggling with getting the tails to look right, and I need to get a break from working on those for a little while. Maybe Marsh will be a more fortuitous time to work on them. ;)

http://www.zerotwentythree.com/search/label/Fomorians

fmpro08.jpg

Fimm McCool

New head sculpted, trying to keep the same vein as the Tom Meier and my own Dark Crystal style Fimir.

Attachments

50.6 KB · Views: 6,084
Fimm McCool":t3hlst08 said:
My Fimir are all sizes, mainly 28mmish. I reckon so long as they don't get killed they just keep growing. :)

Ah, OK. I didn't realize that. Great work on the head sculpt. Looking forward to seeing him painted up!

ZeroTwentythree":t3hlst08 said:
just ordered a few more of the orcs I'm using for the bodies so I can see if it's practical to cast feet, or if I will need to sculpt them all individually.

The figures arrived and I've decided against casting feet. Any time saved in casting feet will be wasted trying to blend the new ones onto the existing figures -- plus all the time and money spent on molds, casting, etc. The feet on the test model didn't take long at all, so I'm just going to sculpt them all.

Still need to work out those tails, though...

Fimm McCool

ZeroTwentythree":kol1dzzg said:
Fimm McCool":kol1dzzg said:
My Fimir are all sizes, mainly 28mmish. I reckon so long as they don't get killed they just keep growing. :)

Ah, OK. I didn't realize that. Great work on the head sculpt. Looking forward to seeing him painted up!

That's not 'official' mark ye. One of the things that first attracted me to creating a Fimir army was the general lack of any 'official' information, leaving me free to do what I liked with them as a race.

Fimm McCool

Aaaaaand...... go!

Yes, It's Marsh! Time to get undercoating those boggies. I just picked up an extra special treat for my Fimm yesterday so maybe if the month goes well there'll be a special bonus. :)

I've finished my second converted Fimir/Fomorian. This one uses another "reject" club tail sculpt. I did end up sculpting the feet on this one, too. The flesh turned out a little too green for my preference. But I would like to have a bit of subtle variation in flesh tones, so I can live with it on this one figure.

fm02b_zpszxsdfix8.jpg

I've started chopping up the next one, preview on my blog, http://www.zerotwentythree.com/2016/03/ ... econd.html

My project may not precisely be "Oldhammer" as I'm working with new figures, but there's a chance I may be adding some classics by the later half of Marsh/March.

Fimm McCool

Nice! I almost undercoated some Fimir yesterday, but realised I hadn't finished sculpting them yet. Soooo busy with 'professional' sculpting I haven't had the chance, doh!

Fimm McCool

Looking great! What's your metal recipe? I'd like to try something like that on my big chap, who I finally got undercoated today!
12829188_10153884745937279_6487244467637139441_o.jpg

You mean the bronze/gold? That's Vallejo Model Color "Old Gold" followed by a wash of Citadel's current black wash, followed (after dry) by a wash of their dark brown something "Earthshade." I then use a fine detail brush to blackline the joints with a very thinned out black paint. Slight highlights with the "Old Gold" again, and then a few small highlights with either a bright/pale gold or the Old Gold with a bit of silver. (I don't tend to follow "recipes" very well.)

Looking forward to seeing you paint that beast of a warlord. Your conversion looks pretty seamless.

Well, my plans for the Month of Marsh have gotten bogged down as I've been swamped with other obligations.

I am still making one last valiant push for the theme/challenge before the month ends. Plans for more of my converted Reaper Fomorians/Fimir really fell through. However, I have had the unexpected good (to say the least) fortune of coming into an almost complete collection of original Citadel Fimir.

So after some paint stripping and tail replacing, I've started a few...

osfm01_zpsveywsmha.jpg

My last minute goal for the Month of Marsh includes the Dirach (left) and the test Fimm (right) as well as some other stuff. Both are still unfinished, obviously.

About to blabber a bit more more on the topic on my blog... http://www.zerotwentythree.com/ ;)

Fimm McCool

You are a lucky man!

I've been too busy on commissions this month to get much done BUT I did manage to get the ultimate warlord (I'm calling him Brandigeidfran) painted yesterday, only to misplace the charger for my camera. Hopefully my crappier camera will be charged soon and I can get some pictures.

Cool, I was curious how that was going.

I managed to wrap up the two old figures plus the shrooms. I need to decide how to base the latter.

osfm02_zpssrgpeay1.jpg

deafnalashrooms03_zpsgjpefkt7.jpg

Back