The month of Marsh- season of Mists and mist monsters!

Having trouble getting anything painted? Join our monthly challenges or group projects!

Moderator: Moderators

Post Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:44 am

Re: The month of Marsh- season of Mists and mist monsters!

Haha the idea to use the squig for a head is inspired
"We attack at dawn. The plan is victory." - unknown

Post Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:20 pm

Fimm McCool wrote:They have to sacrifice to drain the essence of their victims and revitalise their ancient bodies in the process.

:D ;)

Post Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:30 pm

Exactly. What else would you expect from a Dark Crystal-themed army? "Essence... drain her essence..." :)

Post Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:13 pm

So many cool conversions and paintjobs in this thread! I had an idea for a marsh project to carry out during this month but I haven't had the time for it, so it'll have to wait for next year.

However, I have found some of the first terrain pieces I made in the late '90s, namely two little marsh/swamp/bog pieces. They were pretty simple to make: Just a few kidney-shaped pieces of thick, corrugated cardboard covered in plaster or filler. I can even remember roughly how they were painted: The ground was painted with Dark Angels Green and drybrushed with Camo Green. The wet area was painted with a layer of Regal Blue which was then covered with a mix of Dark Angels Green and Gloss Varnish (no worries about using Citadel paints for terrain projects back then :roll: )

I also added a few roots to look like dead trees or bushes, but they have pretty much broken off now. If I make some more swamps some day, I might make a few adjustments to these old ones to make them fit together.
Attachments
Marsh, Bog or Swamp 1.JPG
Marsh, Bog or Swamp 1.JPG (130.77 KiB) Viewed 2168 times

Donator
Donator

Post Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:00 am

Now that's just showing off! . . . Which is, I guess, why we're here. ;-) Love it, Fimm! I assume that's supposed to be a reference to some place with young boys who don't eat their supper and prefer going on rumpus? Gorgeous.

Post Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:46 am

This may be the end of what I can get done for the Month of Marsh... but we'll see. Maybe one last push still to come! ;)

Post Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:23 am

That's looking great. Cracking unit :)

Post Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:00 pm

At the coo's tail as usual I've managed to finish my contribution at last.

I decided to go for a relative of the Firmir, the salt marsh dwelling community. Mine is an Alternative Armies Fomorian Sea Demon with a Dark Eldar weapon head as his was broken off when I got him. I decided on the blue theme as I see him as being from the sea land margins of the salt marsh.

All comments welcome

Post Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:44 pm

Hi All,

Hope this fits here! I painted my only, lonesome Fimir a few months ago so I tried to make progress on my undead and frog-folk for the month of Marsh. It seems like all of these guys might be found lurking around the swamps, and it's a mix of old and new minis, probably about 50% Oldhammer-ish, and about 50% complete. I really hoped I'd finish the frogs this month, because it's Marsh and also because I've slightly hated painting the Reaper Bones (while the Otherworld lesser boglings have been a lot more fun), but seemed to make a lot more progress on the undead - kind of my comfort zone I guess.

Fantasy_Frogs.jpg
Fantasy_Frogs.jpg (111.72 KiB) Viewed 2081 times

Undead_March_2017.jpg
Undead_March_2017.jpg (171.77 KiB) Viewed 2081 times

Troll_of_Chaos.jpg
Troll_of_Chaos.jpg (198.38 KiB) Viewed 2081 times

Best,

Joe.

Post Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:23 pm

Nice to see the Month of Marsh projects come together.

Inchmurrin: Cool conversion on the spear there, the point and barb hook design works nicely for the maritime theme.
UrchinJoe: Sterling effort getting a whole batch done. Those frog ranges are blending well, looking cool there.
PreviousNext

Return to Painting Challenges