The month of Marsh- season of Mists and mist monsters!

Having trouble getting anything painted? Join our monthly challenges or group projects!

Moderator: Moderators

Post Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:18 pm

Re: The month of Marsh- season of Mists and mist monsters!

I agree. I was fond of the goblin faction in the short lived game Crucible. They had something similar -- sacrifices in the swamp to raise bog monsters. There's not a lot original thought in my Fomorian project. Most of it is borrowed. ;)

And I remember spotting that you had used that figure too. The shield is a dead giveaway. :)

I've been thinking about the "bog people" too. I was thinking maybe only a certain percentage of captives are successfully transformed, and maybe there is a reclusive mage with a necromantic bent who realizes this and has a bit of a symbiotic relationship worked out. He/she raises the failures from the bog as undead, and to stay on the Fomorians good side (as well as maintain a continued source of raw materials,) help them out when needed.

Post Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:08 am

I had been thinking of changing the shield, but it was too much effort. :)

I've started on my project, a reimagining of the classic 'demonomaniac' picture-

2015-12-07 00.26.02.jpg
2015-12-07 00.26.02.jpg (172.39 KiB) Viewed 338 times

Long way to go yet, but it's a start.

Post Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:51 am

No way! I think the shield looks good, especially in context! The Demonomaniac looks good so far, though I'm not entirely a fan of either the concept in a Fimir/Fomorian army (a bit too chaosy?) nor the Misfits song that is always summoned into my head when I see that word. (As I think I already mentioned on FB.) :lol:

Post Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:54 am

Almost forgot to post my own update!

Does it count as a St. Patrick's day thing to work on miniatures inspired by Irish myth?

I finished the the Troll Outpost swamp mercenary/Fomorian/Fimir.

I've finished the sculpting work on the Reaper orc conversion. I happened to have one of my (very) few resin cast tails available, so I used that. The foot looks big in the photo, but I swear, it's not that far out of proportion IRL! Also prepped the four classic Citadel Fimir Fianna/Nobles. The guy on the left was originally mine back in the day, but had been converted to a champion of Slaanesh in the 3rd ed. RoC days, and had wings and a bright paintjob. At some point I gave it to a friend who was collecting Fimir because I figured that was a better use for it, and eventually it (along with the rest of his small but almost complete Fimir collection) made it's way back to me last year.

So that's what I will probably be working on next for the Month of Marsh!

Post Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:11 am

Why had it never occurred to me that the Fimir are the Fomori? I guess I'm a little slow on the uptake sometimes. (Okay, the last time I read the Mabinogian it had been moved to the Pleistocene, but still . . .) Nicely done! Look forward to seeing the rest of the gang in paint.

Post Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:44 am

Here comes my entry for Month of Marsh, my very own Fimir. I've never had one before, boy do I feel part of the cool club now :D

Been keeping an eye on the other Fimir projects and it's looking mighty cool guys. Can't wait to see them finished.

In the build post I mentioned he will be performing double duty as a Nurgle Ogre in my Chaos army, in case anyone is wondering about his less-than-typical Fimir getup. And his feet are a little smaller than your typical Fimir. That's his "shrunken toes" chaos gift, not me paying poor attention to the source material when I converted him, oh no sir.

Fimir_Painted.jpg
Fimir_Painted.jpg (244.41 KiB) Viewed 305 times

"We attack at dawn. The plan is victory." - unknown

Post Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:20 pm

Looks great for both rolls. I think the feet are fine. I really like the head & neck sculpting. Great figure!

Post Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:30 am

Ooh yeah! He cool. Might have to do one of them myself :)

ZeroTwentythree wrote: I'm not entirely a fan of either the concept in a Fimir/Fomorian army (a bit too chaosy?)

I agree, I don't think they fit well described that way. However my Fimir don't take captives for reproductive reasons, they take them for rejuvenation reasons. They have to sacrifice to drain the essence of their victims and revitalise their ancient bodies in the process. Any of the clan who are exiled are not able to do this and their bodies begin to rot away even as they continue to grow in size. Hence I can have a few decomposing giant monstrosities wandering around the outskirts of my army. :)

Post Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:16 am

Thanks guys. I exercised some rare patience building up the head and neck in stages, taking care to form the cranial structure, the muscles and overlying skin in separate steps letting the previous step cure before going ahead. Glad to know it payed off enough to get some love :D

You mean make one from the same plastic chaos warrior Fimm? Yeah go on, that would be cool to see.
"We attack at dawn. The plan is victory." - unknown

Post Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:35 am

I do have a little experience working with placcy chaos warriors...

PreviousNext

Return to Painting Challenges