The month of Marsh- season of Mists and mist monsters!

Having trouble getting anything painted? Join our monthly challenges or group projects!

Moderator: Moderators

Post Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:52 am

Re: The month of Marsh- season of Mists and mist monsters!

Cool conversion. Good call -- could easily see it fitting with either Fimir or Nurgle.

I'm off to a slow start. I unpacked those figures I want to finish, but I've got some other obligations to wrap up first. Also dug out my bin & might paint up the original lead nobles/fianna as well. But right now I'm painting some of the awful new plastic minotaurs for someone and will need to cleanse my painting soul with some marshy goodness by next week. :lol:

Post Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:40 pm

ZeroTwentythree wrote:Also dug out my bin & might paint up the original lead nobles/fianna as well.

Original Fimir are a rare treat, shall enjoy to see them if you choose to do that.

But right now I'm painting some of the awful new plastic minotaurs for someone and will need to cleanse my painting soul with some marshy goodness by next week. :lol:

I think the official GW paintjob really tripped them up on a couple of points. More than anything on the whole model I couldn't stop staring at their exaggerated shin muscles. They haunted my dreams! The sculpted muscle itself is more reasonable (on the shin that is, the rest is... ample) it's the paintjob that did them in on the thing that bothered me the most on those poor, poor minotaurs.

Having said that, boy does the rest of the sculpt have issues in my opinion. Heads like English bull terriers, feet like seal flippers, a very flat footed gait. For a creature known for its bull head, hooves (or feet is fine, just no flippers please) and a frenzied personality those design choices really hurt the poor old minotaur in my book. Looking at them again I notice they have massive lower canines, no upper canines. The kind of stuff you see on orcs and maybe daemons. These fellows just keep on giving.

I have seen much nicer conversions of them, for examples as testosteron laden — if that's your cup of tea — ogres, they work a whole lot better. Work around the head and the feet and the models can have much more potential so I like to think there's hope for them.

I bet you they could even do a good fimir, if you wanted a huge muscled one! Sorry for going off on a tangent on those minos but see how I tied it back in with Month of Marsh? :)
"We attack at dawn. The plan is victory." - unknown

Post Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:15 am

At the risk of continuing the off-topic discussion... ;) Having painted three of the minos, and nearly completing three more, I changed my opinion from thinking maybe it was just the studio paint job to, "no, they really are some of the worst figures GW has done in a while." And I think it's a shame. While I'm a fan of the Oldhammer stuff (obviously) I also think the detail and dynamic design of some of the newer (plastic! But still mostly pre-AOS) stuff is really amazing. But these are unfortunately one of the exception.s The poses are very stiff and uninspired, the muscles are... ridiculous, not just in the over-exaggeration but in the confusing anatomy. And the scale creep is something I would think a professionally organized design studio would take more care in thinking out. My client assembled the figures, not me. And for the life of me, I can't figure out how to form them into a unit. (And that might be excusable if they were in dynamic poses, but as I said, they're not.)

When they first came out, I read a comment online, something along the lines that they looked like bread dough rising in twisted plastic wrap, and I still can't get that imagery out of my head. :lol:

Post Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:47 am

Minotaurs done and out the door. Got to quickly wrap up my eight ahlf-painted conversions....

They will serve as lesser Fomorian warriors, or regular Fimm for WFB.

Post Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:40 am

Lookin' good! I've got some stuff out of the way on my workbench and am in a serious painting mood, so we'll see what gets done! Though at the moment I am on Goblinoids.

Post Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:35 pm

those are well nice.

Post Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:41 am

Thanks!

FImm -- golinoids are OK in my book. Thinking about some half-orcs & "swamp goblins" to use with the Fomorians/Fimir.

In the meantime, a WIP of two heroes I'm in the process of converting or painting...

I babble briefly: http://www.zerotwentythree.com/2017/03/ ... s-wip.html

Post Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:10 am

I find that Reaper miniature to be an excellent Fimir base. :)

Post Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:21 pm

Really nice paintjobs and very effective conversion on that Fimir Zero. Yeah I agree that Reaper body is nice for stuff like this. I can't embrace the orc version all out myself, cause the right orc look to me will always be so firmly cemented in old Citadel (like the kind you're doing for your Goblinoids Fimm). But with another head like this that sculpt has a lot going for it I think.

I like the swamp burial/ritualistic resurrection idea. Not quite as controversial as the other, er, common perception. As an alternative idea it's quite dark so it keeps them sinister. Made me think of those "Bog People" that they find that have been buried for centuries in peat bogs. Victims of robbers they speculate. Yeah I bet, or failed Fimir!
"We attack at dawn. The plan is victory." - unknown

Post Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:34 pm

Just because, here's my fimir conversion of the big orc guy-

smaller.jpg
smaller.jpg (128.29 KiB) Viewed 1251 times

Nice that they made the right number of digits too.
I also like the bog resurrection fluff. It's never actually stipulated how it is that Fimir use their abductees to generate more of their kind and creative interpretation like this just proves that Fimir fun can be had without all the smut... just a bit or dirt! :)
PreviousNext

Return to Painting Challenges