Oldhammer Legacy Project III - Vote for Theme

Which flavour of chaos should the OLP III be?

• Chaos warband

Votes: 15 42.9%
  • Chaos villagers

Votes: 20 57.1%

• Total voters

axiom

Right then folks, thanks for all the input on ideas for this year's project. After some discussion, the theme is for a group of fantasy figures, with the two most popular themes being for a chaos warband, or for a group of chaos villagers.

The chaos warband would be likely to include a random mix of chaotic fighters - warriors, thugs, beastmen, minotaurs, centaurs and mutated monstrosities.

Chaotic villagers on the other hand, would be non-combatants of some bizarre malformed settlement - maids milking female minotaurs, two-headed children, a pig-snouted butcher, horseboy...

Vote in the poll and let's decide on which to do.

Asslessman

I've voted for chaos villagers, NPCs are the base of any good scenaristic game and this offers countless modelling opportunities since it doesn't tick the warriors off but opens the door for chaos bakers, chaos town mayor/ burgmeisters, chaos smiths, chaos hookers and bartenders, chaos children and whatever you may think of !
And to use Zhu's idea, C49 chaos villagers would sound just to cool to ignore the idea.

Matt in PA

Chaos warband for me. Not sure I have any lead in the pile suitable for villagers...unless a warrior with an axe can double as the village woodcutter?

Golgfag1

Don't often enter these things, but the idea of the villagers sound intriguing - so I'm up for it. :lol:

Paul / Golgfag1

Either way I'm likely to do the same thing as non-combatans are actually part of the Nurgle armylist as part of the Cavalcade of Nurgle :mrgreen:

Asslessman

I'm surprised to see thechaos villagers struggling with a classical warband ! You can basically do anything you'd do in a warband with the villgers but you're adding many more opportunities !

Niibl

I voted villagers although I am somewhat in the same situation like Mat in PA.
I have some, but I am pretty sure that I wont sacrifice a real citadel villager miniature to the cause, so I have no clue about what I would use atm.
But for me planning and brainstorming is half the hobby so I'd like to surprise myself.

I feel a little strange with these results so far. Coz if one option wins by one or two votes, then the losing side may decide not to participate? At the end of the day we want this thing to be as inclusive as possible yeah?

Just thinking out loud here, but maybe we could run both of the options if the voting stays this close?

optimus":1wtu7101 said:
I feel a little strange with these results so far. Coz if one option wins by one or two votes, then the losing side may decide not to participate? At the end of the day we want this thing to be as inclusive as possible yeah?

Just thinking out loud here, but maybe we could run both of the options if the voting stays this close?

I think most folks would be fine either way - once they see the quality of the works being submitted they will be compelled to enter!

Golgfag1

Captain Crooks":14dhwuqh said:
optimus":14dhwuqh said:

I think most folks would be fine either way - once they see the quality of the works being submitted they will be compelled to enter!

Every army/warband needs its hangers-on - making & repair tools/weapons, cook & cleaning etc who will turn in a fight - why not let everybody do their own thing - will make for a pretty unique party in my opinion - meet Egbert the Dragon ogre does quite a nice line in leather, you should see his parry carte on a Friday night and has for his pastry - exceptional! Get the picture? :lol:

Paul / Golgfag1

axiom

I think most people will be fine with either. That's the fun of the challenge - to come up with something cool for the the, irrespective of what it is :)

ardyer

Asslessman":35fef8l4 said:
I'm surprised to see thechaos villagers struggling with a classical warband ! You can basically do anything you'd do in a warband with the villgers but you're adding many more opportunities !
Personally, I don't think I have anything to even begin representing a chaos villager with, so I voted for a regular chaos war band...If you want to help your cause, you might want to provide some links to suitable beginnings ;)

Chico

Aye I voted for a normal Warband as well as I was just going to use a random Chaos mini from my collection which I fancied painting. Lack of funds means I won't be buying anything to join in and I'm not sure what I have that'll fit in a Chaos Village.

Asslessman

Guys, guys, just take a look back at the previous challenges look at the models used ! Making a chaos villager doen't mean you have to use a villager model to begin with, or a chaotic one for that matter ! Conversions are here for a reason ! you don't have any villager ? good, maybe you have one of those ugly warriors to make a tree cutter with the appropriate beard, or maybe you have some wood elves or anything you can turn into hookers, street wipers or I don't what. The model is already full of armour ? OK so what ? It's chaos, nothing has to make sense.
I'd understand the reluctance for an imperial or elvish villager band but this is CHAOS we're talking about. I mean, If you really don't want to make any effort, just paint a warrior and say he's a guard !

Chico

I think my personal problem is now I have little time to paint and I have to be motivated to paint something up. A non-com for me just doesn't float that boat (I like to Wargame not the Roleplay aspect really if I'm honest).

Not saying it won't be a cool idea for those interested but just isn't for me.

axiom

I certainly don't want to deliberately exclude folks, but this is a fun group project, aiming to encourage folks to paint up stuff for fun. In 2014 we had people who decided not to participate because it was a fantasy theme. Similarly we had others who didn't participate this year because it was scifi. If you like the theme that is democratically(ish) selected, that's great. If not, I'd urge you to challenge yourself to participate, even if it's outside your comfort zone, or, if you prefer, sit back and enjoy what others do :)

As for ideas for villagers, I'll be looking carefully at war machine crew, Empire Militia, Bretonnian peasants, grots, familiars, ungor, chaos Thugs etc to adapt into wood cutters, bakers or candlestick makers (if selected as the theme).

Back