Oldhammer Legacy Project III - Ideas for 2016

Chico

The first 2 were called Warbands but weren't structured, so why can't we just stick too that. So in effect it is just a painting club.

Having to do something by a rulebook or roll is bloody restricting and goes against the freeing nature of the first 2.

Why make it complicated?

Also

phreedh":2bkyq98l said:
So, let's kick up a vote on which chaos god to support this year?

Chaos hasn't yet been decided so hold ya horses hehe :razz:

ardyer

Chico":2ljsw78a said:
The first 2 were called Warbands but weren't structured, so why can't we just stick too that. So in effect it is just a painting club.

Having to do something by a rulebook or roll is bloody restricting and goes against the freeing nature of the first 2.

Why make it complicated?

Also

phreedh":2ljsw78a said:
So, let's kick up a vote on which chaos god to support this year?

Chaos hasn't yet been decided so hold ya horses hehe
Agreed. I suspect a lot of us are using spare models and/or pre-existing ideas that don't fit into our current collections. In other words, we're doing it for fun. By attaching specific builds too it, it removes the spontaneity and individual creativity that makes it fun. It just becomes commission painting for free.

symphonicpoet

I actually liked the villagers idea that came up at the very beginning of the thread. That's awfully flexible. Who of us couldn't use some more ordinary civilians? Keep 'em relatively low tech for the fantasy theme, but race could be flexible. And low tech villagers even fit in adequately in some sci-fi settings, so that expands your option. (Think fantasy when you make 'em, but the winner could use 'em on some primitive backwater moon in a techier world.) Villagers could be chaos cultists, if one particularly wanted, since there could conceivably be a church of the slimy mound of love goop in the village. Or the warrior weird. Or whatever. But villagers could come in any number of sizes. And you could politely suggest that the winner have at least one game featuring all of the villagers as objectives or obstacles. Scatter terrain that scatters itself. (Ourselves.) Just my two cents.

Matt in PA

The Villagers of Oldhammer? Some of us might be inclined to paint a mini up to represent ourselves as the villagers. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

All of these ideas have merit, but I think a chaos fantasy warband fits the bill best - pure chaos, straight from the fevered minds of our creative members. If people want to roll their mutations individually for the fun/challenge then go for it, if you want to reuse or recycle a model from your leadpile that will never see love otherwise, perfect. If, like me, you are prepared to roll around in your bits-pile like a cat and assemble whatever parts adhere to your fur, well, then you are truly entering the eye of madness, and you wont be alone...

There's quite a few good ideas floating around here. I've got a couple of crazy -aka stupid- suggestion's to add to the mix.

1. How about we combine some of the ideas? We could have some chaotic villagers.....the inhabitants of which have been converted (through surreptitious means) to become worshippers of a Chaos power. We could have four villages (or possibly more of we want some undivided powers for variation sake) who each follow one of the Chaos gods. We could set out a limit of how many individuals constitutes a village, then we each pick a villager we'd like to make/convert? i.e. five people - baker, farmer, butcher, farm hand, blacksmith?

At the end of it all, the winner will have at least four warbands who are all very different from each other and can be used in a variety of scenarios/situations?

My zanny idea.....probably not everyone's cup of tea, but I thought I'd throw it out there & see if there's any interest.

Regarding the Judge Dredd idea (given that I'm not overly familiar with the "world"), but for miniature purposes I kinda get the feeling that it's a bit like a lower tech version of 40K? Feel free to shoot me down if I'm way off the mark here :) So, if my assumption is correct, then isn't it a little too close to the 2015 comp idea? Shouldn't we mix it up each year?

My two cents.

Asslessman

I think the easier the better, I'm not for too many rules, this doesn't feel like "us". Chaos is cool becaus eyou can shoehorn anything in it with ease. I wouldn't even care about which god, we'll already have colours to tie the models so the more free space we have th emore likely we are to end up with stupidly brilliant ideas like the other 2 years.
Either the Mark of chaos or the chaos villagers would have my vote.
Chaos villagers are something we don't quite often see and it opens doors for an insane number of cool ideas if you think about it... ^^

I like the idea of Villagers of Chaos, I've Always been meaning to do a Cavalcade of Nurgle, but have never come around to it. but i think a villager of chaos is close enough :mrgreen: in fact might inspre me enough to finally start building my cavalcade

axiom

Thanks for all the input guys. The prevailing agreement seems to be 'chaotic'(theme) and 'unstructured' (warband composition). Whilst I understand the desire for structure (i.e. rolling up a warband, creating a playable set of figures), the flip side is that it potentially puts people off participating, and also can be undermined if people pull out (we had about a 60% completion rate this year).

We've had a late rush of enthusiasm for chaotic villagers too, so I'm going to put up a vote between the following:

- Chaos Warband
- Chaos Villagers

Zhu Bajie

Random thought: Wild animals or beasts could be fun theme with a lot of scope, from Ambulls to Antelope, and isn't something we've all seen a million shades of before.

Chaos Villagers is a pretty neat and very Warhammery idea, almost sounds like a late 80s Citadel range that never got made, C49 Chaos Villagers. :)

phreedh

I understand most want less structure and regulations and that's fair enough. Just like Axiom, my "legacy legacy" is from the Blood Bowl legacy teams of TalkBloodBowl and I see it as a complete, playable and coherent force. I suppose I haven't let go of that perspective.

The more I think about it, the more I like the "chaos villagers" theme. I really shouldn't have voted for chaos warband, alas I did. =( Oh well.

Asslessman

phreedh":2nt8iigb said:
The more I think about it, the more I like the "chaos villagers" theme. I really shouldn't have voted for chaos warband, alas I did. =( Oh well.

Pretty sure you can change your vote... :roll:

phreedh

Asslessman":2imm53p7 said:
phreedh":2imm53p7 said:

Pretty sure you can change your vote... :roll:
Nope, no option to do that. :roll:

Niibl

Chaos villagers sounds good. But it should be undivided-after all, a village of Khorne would consist only of butchers and that would be quite dull.

Mister Rab

Niibl":3abwwkpj said:
Chaos villagers sounds good. But it should be undivided-after all, a village of Khorne would consist only of butchers and that would be quite dull.

Probably good barbecues, though ;)

Back