Oldhammer Legacy Project III - Ideas for 2016

axiom

Hello painting challenge participants! With the formal close of the 2015 Legacy warband project (won by the lucky Firebreather), it seems sensible to consider plans for 2016.

So I'm looking for feedback and opinions:

Q. Should we run a 3rd project, or after two consecutive years, is it time to take a break?

Q. If we run for a 3rd year, should I continue to organise, or is there someone willing / with a pressing desire to take up the reins?
(I'm happy to run again, but I don't want to monopolise)

Q. If we run for a 3rd year, are there any suggestions for theme? Fantasy seems sensible, given the sci-fi theme for 2015. Off the top of my head, 'blackpowder' or 'townsfolk' would be very flexible themes. If people wanted more structure, then creating a warband for a game like Frostgrave might be interesting.

Thoughts welcome :)

Mister Rab

Let's do it!

If you're happy to co-ordinate again, why break what works?

Definitely fantasy. How about a chaos warband? That would allow for the diversity of models likely to appear, based on the first two warbands, and mean there could be as many or as few models as arrive, without it being an incomplete force.

If a game structure was wanted, though, how about Dragon Rampant? Units of six or twelve, with easily scaled reductions (i.e. 1, 2, 3 or 4) to account for larger creatures or heroes.

Chico

Even though I missed this years one (New job = no painting time) I'd like to see a 2016 one run.

What about stepping out of Warhammer universe and do a Judge Dredd related band of no hopers. you could even do both sides of the frence the Law and Lawless :)

Matt in PA

Yes, keep it going for 2016!

If you're still willing to organize, why not keep doing it? You seem to be ideally located for this type of thing. You get to take pictures of each warband on some nice tables and are able to involve old school industry celebrities in the process. It adds a nice flavor to the proceedings.

Blood bowl would be neat. Although if you got the same numbers as the last two years you'd probably have to go for two teams. Two teams, two themes? Winner gets them both and must document their epic first game against each other?

Chaos would be an easy choice, though.

axiom

While Blood Bowl appeals to me as a fan of the game, I'm going to veto it, as this Legacy project was inspired By Blood Bowl Legacy teams - I know of at least 3 done annually through other online groups. I also think it would narrow the number of potential participants.

Keep the ideas coming!

WARHAMSTER

Another vote for a ROC chaos warband - I can imagine people doing beastmen, mutants, demons, centaurs, monsters...

Niibl

Although I like the Dredd setting very much, it is hardly different from the 2015 theme (with larger knee pads).
A change would be better.

Blood Bowl is a nice idea, but-unlike rogue trader or WH 3rd it is a quite rigid game with regards to usable player types and team construction.
That is hardly satisfactory if you'd like to build a blitzer but get told that it would be better to have three cheerleaders instead.

I would prefer fantasy (fantasy-sience fiction-fantasy...nice pattern) and think that a chaos warband would be an excellent idea.
Maybe one pick on the retinue table from a realm of chaos book as an entry and the winner is tasked to build the warlord and send it in for the group shot.
If There are enough participants and with small units as entries we could even build several warbands, one for each chaos power.

Matt in PA

I'll throw in behind the Chaos effort then. Plenty of lead in my pile to support that, and a good chance to get something painted that might otherwise be waiting for a brush for a few more years.

ardyer

While I quite like the chaos idea, I'm going to throw out another one: Frostgrave. And since war bands are capped at 10 models, if we got enough participants, we could have multiple winners.

Niibl

ardyer":snh56o3q said:
Frostgrave
tut tut!
So, now lets mention Warlord, Freebooter's Fate, Songs of Blades and Heroes, Arena Rex, Saga, Godslayer and Dragon Rampant as well and head back to GW-origin games. :evil:

Chico

Can I just say whatever Warband/theme we do can it not be restricted by a rulebook as that'll put me right off. So if it's Chaos lets not have to go by a roll or a option, or if it's Frostgrave lets forget that you can only have 10 men total and 1 has to be a Wizard ect.

Also I'm going to defend Dredd by saying.. If ya don't I have a friend who wants a word ;)

judge-dredd-30.jpg

ardyer

Chico":1i3gd5ih said:
Can I just say whatever Warband/theme we do can it not be restricted by a rulebook as that'll put me right off. So if it's Chaos lets not have to go by a roll or a option, or if it's Frostgrave lets forget that you can only have 10 men total and 1 has to be a Wizard ect.

Also I'm going to defend Dredd by saying.. If ya don't I have a friend who wants a word ;)

judge-dredd-30.jpg
I think in the case of a game that limits the number of models, that should be observed in the distribution, so you can have multiple winners. But I agree completely as to the rest of your point.
Niibl":1i3gd5ih said:
ardyer":1i3gd5ih said:
Frostgrave
tut tut!
So, now lets mention Warlord, Freebooter's Fate, Songs of Blades and Heroes, Arena Rex, Saga, Godslayer and Dragon Rampant as well and head back to GW-origin games. :evil:
Chico started out by mentioning Judge Dredd

Chico

ardyer":3pzxa8na said:

Judge Dredd was a Citadel game though and a mini range :razz:, I'm now turning against you and saying Frostgrave is a stoopid idea when you can just do Mordheim if you wanted a Fan Warband :)

ardyer

Chico":uo6xmxuy said:
ardyer":uo6xmxuy said:

Judge Dredd was a Citadel game though and a mini range , I'm now turning against you and saying Frostgrave is a stoopid idea when you can just do Mordheim if you wanted a Fan Warband :)
I know, I know. And I actually thought of Mordheim immediately after posting that!

Asslessman

Yes, to another one for 2016

Yes to you running it again

And yes to chaos warband for Fantasy, it's appealing to many and very loose in terms of modelling (you can even have tech weapons) so that's a great opportunity to make something silly like the previous years. Second choice would be the black powder theme you mentionned as a motley crew of folks carrying silly guns has some sort of appeal for some reson !

I'll add that I'm not in favour of designing the new warband for a new set of rules specifically but more in favour of designing a cool oldschool looking band that will be used as the winner sees fit (after all the winner's only duty is to base it and shoehorn it into any set of rules he wishes (poor him).

phreedh

My vote is on a Realms of Chaos (ie fantasy) Warband.

Since it's an actual warband and not just a painting club, we need a liiiittle structure at least. I'd love if we BASED the warband on a random roll by Jon. Then anyone can add whatever ELSE to the band, as long as we cover the basic initial roll.

So, let's kick up a vote on which chaos god to support this year? Then we can start a randomizing thread where Jon calls for a random number without revealing any details. Each of us participating are allowed to answer one call each, and as such we're part in the generation too. When it's all done, Jon posts the whole randomized result and we can see which rolls went where. The secret application of random rolls also allows for a certain amount of fudging by the GM. ;)

Back