Augusts Painting Challenge - List of entries page 1

Having trouble getting anything painted? Join our monthly challenges or group projects!

Moderator: Moderators

Post Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:25 am

Re: Augusts Painting Challenge - List of entries page 1

ardyer wrote:D'oh, meant to post this for John since he's had some problems figuring out what to put on shields.

Wow, that's some very good shield back, if this just free hand, I'm very interested in your technique for such a result. MIne sucks big time compared to this and I'd gladly change for yours if you're OK for sharing. :D

That said, I'm not entirely finished with the Khornish boys. Still missing details here and there on a few of them + varnishing + finishing bases which makes this challenge a personnal failure. I have great expectations to them finished this week though. (oh and I forgot to put him on the pic but Mr "techweapon hand and snakehorns is finished" too

[img]WIP%20Khorne.jpg[/img]
Attachments
WIP Khorne.jpg
WIP Khorne.jpg (98.13 KiB) Viewed 1328 times

Post Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:10 pm

Asslessman wrote:
ardyer wrote:D'oh, meant to post this for John since he's had some problems figuring out what to put on shields.

Wow, that's some very good shield back, if this just free hand, I'm very interested in your technique for such a result. MIne sucks big time compared to this and I'd gladly change for yours if you're OK for sharing. :D

The technique (the colors are my preference) was originally give to me by Jeff Wilson who won a bunch of US slayer swords, so it wouldn't be fair for me to keep it now, would it? BTW, he did it better ;)

It's pretty simple, I base the back of the shield Graveyard earth, a couple of thin coats. After that is dry, I mix in some dark brown (what ever the new name for scorched brown is, that's what I used) with Graveyard earth, and paint three lines representing the shadows between the boards. They need to be straight, but not perfectly so. The paint should be thick enough to go on in one coat, but not so thick that it looks like it is literally sitting on top of the shield. The next step is to tidy up the lines with Graveyard earth again, thin coats, as many as necessary. The next steps are all done the same way, just using thinner lines and attempting to stay on top of the previous layers line. But don't worry if you don't, this technique is pretty mistake tolerant. Basically, I use a mix of 50/50 Graveyard Earth/Kommando Khaki thinned with 50-75% water and draw lines down each board. You should barely be able to see them. I repeat a few times and then go mix in more Khaki...to the point where it's almost pure Khaki and repeat one or two times again. After this step, I start adding in Uthalan Grey (no idea what if there is an old version of this) and repeating until I'm happy with it. The photo above also has been finished with gloss varnish to make mistakes while painting the rims easier to clean up and because the varnish with the model is done won't reach the shield back very well anyway.

The trick is to just use thin coats so that when you don't perfectly retrace the lines of the previous layer it doesn't matter. What you're really going for is the appearance of wood grain which the eye will generally interpret a bunch of wavy lines as anyway. I used to be a lot better at it, but I don't paint much now so some of the lines are thicker than I'd like. Hope that helps!

Grand Buffoon of the Highest Order

Post Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:51 pm

Finally finished these guys. Adding the extra nine in seemed like such a good idea at the time.

Group Photo

Eeza & command

Musician and troopers

Troopers

Front Rank

Face Off

mbh

Post Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:07 pm

really nice looking unit

Post Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:41 am

You need more Black Orcs :)

Paul / Golgfag

S
Just John wrote:Finally finished these guys. Adding the extra nine in seemed like such a good idea at the time.

How can I ever have enough stuff, I don't need.

https://www.tumblr.com/blog/grumpyoldbadger

Post Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:19 pm

Golgfag1 wrote:You need more Black Orcs

I do actually ;) 1 more MOthercrusher to make a round 30 all though I really should try and go really old school and have odd numbers in units and I'm trying to track down the rest of Nick Lunds N15 Black Orcs. Anyone have any spare?

Post Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:21 pm

OK, Just finished varnishing my champions, now you can consider this challenge closed... :roll:

Post Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:00 pm

Well I got half of this challenge done - the smaller half at least... :mrgreen:

The Druid Snart

King F'yar and his Wyvern still have some way to go. :oops:

Post Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:05 pm

Well at least its a start :D I'm sure you've posted it before but where did you get the barricades? and the stretcher? Great paint job on a great mini btw. Now go back to June and get that sorted ;)

Post Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:18 pm

Cheers John - they won't be forgotten!

The barricades are Ainsty and I made the sretchers from toothpicks and milliput :D

Also the large mealie bag wall in the foreground is from Redoubt.
PreviousNext

Return to Painting Challenges