Junes Fun Painting Challenge - Final Round up on page 23

Having trouble getting anything painted? Join our monthly challenges or group projects!

Moderator: Moderators

Donator

Post Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:52 am

Re: Junes Fun Painting Challenge

The Viking tomato purée fighting force! Haha...they look great!

Cheers,

Blue
3rd Edition will rise AGAIN!!!!
My Painting collecting...and sometimes gaming Blog: http://bluesmarauders.blogspot.com/

Post Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:59 am

Ha - well they need their Vitamin C for all that pillaging! ;)

Bit of tidying up to do on them yet...

Post Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:55 am

Still June, isn't it? =)

Anyways... yesterday, I had the opportunity to sit down for an hour or two of painting. So, armed with a thermos of coffee and some Bolt Thrower on Spotify I had at it.

Here's what they started out like, yesterday.

Since then, all parts have been base coated. Metals drybrushed through tin bits and boltgun metal. Everything have been washed (some parts twice with different washes). The skin on Harboth himself and one trooper (well, two - as I did one more after taking the pic) have been highlighted with the base colour and then base colour + bubonic brown.

Now I'm a bit stuck, as I actually think the troopers look good enough with only the skin being highlighted. Thus I turn to you, dear friends. Should I do more work on them or call it quits? I will pick out teeth and metal parts, and would give the shields some badab black to enhance the "three planks" look. Won't do any highlighting on the yellow coats, leather, wood or fur parts. Nor would I spend any time on the small dagger on the back. What do you say, is it good enough?

Here's where I'm at right now:

Might spend some time on Harboth's pants, and black lining the mouth a bit to get better definition - and I really need to do his flasks properly. Some love on the horns too, and then I think these three lads are more or less done.

Here's a close up, unfortunately with flash. "Finished" trooper to the left. Same skin tone trooper to the right with the difference being the lack of highlights on the skin.

Oh btw, if anyone have any ideas for the shields I'm all ears. I'll probably leave them as is for now. Description of the regiment says they adorn their shields with profanities, but I don't think painting knobs is the way to go. I got this idea just now that seeing how their battle cry is "Pulp the stunties!" they ought to have dead dwarf motifs on the shields. So, how would the average orc go about decorating his shield? Probably not with da Vinci like precision. So, I had a go at these. Too crude? I'm hoping they look "in scale", ie it should look like the orc (and not me) who painted the shield was a poor artist of limited imagination. Here's a shot of my attempt. Let me know what you think.

Any variants (for halflings, for instance) suggestions would be great!

Post Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:14 am

I think the shields work very well! Nicely done
My oldhammer blog: Where the sea pours out

Chaos God of Nudehammer

Post Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:25 pm

They look great, well done

Post Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:08 am

Alright, funky dwarf head scrawlings it is then. Still need some help with ideas for variety! Finished the skin on two more lads yesterday, hope to do another three tonight.

Post Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:47 am

The "finished" troopers do look better but I think it depends on how much extra time is required to get them to that point. If its just a few minutes per figure I'd say go for it otherwise the other troopers look great in my opinion and would certainly hold their own on the table.

The shields look ace!

Post Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:42 pm

Boltthrower? Really? :P

I like the shields Phreedh, I think you should do some in slightly different styles - solid blocked in beards and hair for example - otherwise it looks like they're all done by a Hagar the Horrible fan :D

Progress report, they're not late ok, it's a strategic late deployment...

Not that they're ready for deployment yet...

Donator

Post Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:56 pm

Lovely mix of d orcs there Hetz...looking good...

....so far :)

Blue
3rd Edition will rise AGAIN!!!!
My Painting collecting...and sometimes gaming Blog: http://bluesmarauders.blogspot.com/

Grand Buffoon of the Highest Order

Post Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:03 pm

So I think we can call an end to Junes Challenge now that we're almost in September. I thought I'd post a before and after photo of everyones entry and just leave the ones who didn't finish to wallow in their own disappointment ;) So in a league table kinda way I reckon 1000pts to everyone who entered this one and 5 or 6 points to those who finished. Round down to the nearest 10 and everyone finished level.

Well done to all who entered - give yourselves a slap on the back, and congrats to all those who finished - have a pint on Chico.

Ardyer - Dwarf Slayers

Asslessman - Chaos & Chaos Squats

Attilla13 - Rugludds Armoured Orcs

Basement Dweller - Chaos Thugs

Blue in VT - Bretonnian

Chico - Fimir
Chico - Fimir

Citadel Collector - Minotaurs

Exilesjjb - Black Hat Highland Dwarf with Poleaxe

Grumdril - Chaos Warband

Harry - Errol Flynn inspired Brettonians

Hetz - Orc Archers Not late apparently just held in reserve :roll:

Just John - Harboths Orc Archers

Mutantdale - Undead

Phreedh - Harboths Black Mountain Boys - lost or on strike due to musical differences apparently

Skarsnik & Old Lead - Skellies

Thansants - Norse, apparently they set sail for the Rumle in the Jungle so we should see them reappear in full painted glory in September.

Zedmeister - Goblins

PreviousNext

Return to Painting Challenges