2nd Edition 40,000 Starter Box set.

Tiberius.

This month I've decided to challenge myself to painting the entire 2nd Edition 40k boxed set by the 17th of next month since I started yesterday.

So far with a Sgt Conversion due to a broken part;

16405_10153345025160844_6696048500593834326_n.jpg

And a colour test model on a spare Gretchin;

10423306_10153344416250844_4961878608994831581_n.jpg

Obviously Dark angels but I'm stuck, should I go red weapons?

Galadrin

I love red weapons on my classic Dark Angels, but I paint them with a slightly deeper red (Army Painter's Dragon Red, simply the best red coverage out there) and then splash the guns with some black wash when they are dried. They still come out suitably bright for the old 90's look, but not jarringly so.

Edit: Picture for completeness. These are all classic metal marines painted (for the most part) with Coat d'Arms for the classic GW colour palette. Ooh, in the back left of this image you can see my favourite Ork model, scratching his rump while he shoots away with his bolt pistol and gives a dumb, toothy grin!

17616556389_ae15811a9b_o_d.jpg

Tiberius.

Those are sexy.

Thanks for the tip, I think that's the way to go.
My green is a darkish airbrushed job so it would look odd going full retro on the red. What's making me go red is I've got the forge world transfer sheet and the tactical symbols are red. I have in the past masked and repainted decals on the sheet before but I really cannot be done with it this time.

I've a weird triangle of Dark Angels as well, if I want to ditch the red and green I've got some from the Dark Vengeance box but I'm also painting an army of Fallen for a friend whom I'll often play against. My greens look a bit bright in the pictures but in life they're quite dark so I need something to contrast with the black with green highlight Fallen.

Tiberius.

Cheers falla!

It's not just colours for the DA I've bough, I've picked up some for the Orks as well. Total paint tart I am, I think it's only foundry and P4 I've not got. I've even got some railmatch in there.

Tiberius.

Right, reds and silvers done but I raced ahead with one just to give me a bit of motivation in what I'm looking at for a full unit.

Red Period covered but I've deviated and changed the colour of the shoulders to black to add a wee bit of contrast to the whole thing and to give reference to be pre heresy black. Green, black and red all scream gold to me so chest eagle and skull on the head are gold.

Obviously the gold is just one thin coat and I'll need another one plus highlighting but as a production line WIP it's not too bad.

11165313_10153352402105844_5008422009922966782_n.jpg

Tiberius.

Cheers fella. I'm far from being great at painting but I'm pretty good at putting schemes together and picking tones which is half the battle.

this is on my list of future projects. just got to get a reasonably priced 2nd ed box. your paint skills are great! keep the pics coming!

Tiberius.

Thank you very much.

I posted this plus my sgt with their decals applied on a facebook group and some snot nosed brat informed me that they weren't Dark Angels but Salamanders due to the black pads. I'm still trying to work out at what point do I not give a crap! :lol:

Tiberius.

Getting there.

It's a basic paintjob but I'm getting through a lot. Certainly far better than the average back then so I'm happy so far.

11013440_10153368630260844_7871527959067681673_n.jpg

daddyorchips":r5h77gdu said:
this is on my list of future projects. just got to get a reasonably priced 2nd ed box. your paint skills are great! keep the pics coming!

ordered one. that's another project to add to the list.

Tiberius.

First squad 90% done short of touch ups and painting the banner pole.

I've spend that last three days chucking up my guys and shitting pure water and today's the first day I've been able to sit upright for any length of time without vomiting so I sad down on the bed with my painting tray and my uni books.

Anyway, I've run out of things to paint that have primer on and I'm not ready to go outside yet so back to the books it is.

11391211_10153392879275844_3493036189908746978_n.jpg

Galadrin

Very cool, I like how the sergeant's hair seems like it is slightly greying—it is a neat effect. What colours did you use for the skin tone and highlights?

As for the colour scheme, it is definitely too dark green to be Salamanders. The chapters show a huge variety of colour variations in 2nd edition and Rogue Trader before it. There's even a green Dark Angel terminator captain in the 2e Rulebook (or was it Codex Imperialis?). Mixing it up was a common method to "own" your army in a personalized way (and it is something the new 'Eavy Resin painters these days have very much lost, unfortunately).

Tiberius.

I used Revell acrylics for the skin mixing their dark brown with a little red and green to bring it to the correct tone. Then a wash with a chestnut ink mixed with some blue ink, then the base again then highlight with a mix of base and beige.
Everything bar the gold and green was revell, the green is Tamiya Dark Green with a ink wash and highlighted with base mixed with lighter greens.

The Chapter is Dark Angels, not Salamanders, the shoulder's being black does say salamanders I know but hey.

Cheers for the compliment on the hair.

Back