Oldhammer Legacy Crew 2015 - The Basing Question

axiom

Opinions sought please. For the 2014 warband we didn't base the figures, leaving it for the winner to do as per their own taste. There are pros and cons to this approach.

Pros: the winner has full control; the basing is consistent.
Cons: the winner has to base 20-30 models; the group shots look unfinished.

We have a couple of options to consider:

1) Same as last year - forget about the bases and provide the figure to the winner to be based in due course.
2) I base each model as it arrives to ensure a consistent finish (mainly for photographic purposes).
3) Contributors base their models to a pre-agreed finish (texture, scenics, colours).
4) Another option I haven't thought of.

Any preferences, comments, suggestions?

Mister Rab

I vote for plain bases, lightly attached - gives the lucky winner far less to do to fit them with their existing figures, as well as giving them the satisfaction of involvement in each piece. We could agree to leave/paint the bases black for consistency in the photos?

phreedh

I think the winner should base. Having to base 20-30 free and gorgeously painted miniatures? Poor bastard! :)

To adress the other issue (which I fully agree on) we could stick to a simple basing convention. Black painted circular plastic base of a "standard" size... Any gap filled with easily removeable modeling putty (ie not green stuff). Model firmly affixed but in a way so it could be removed without harming the model or paintjob. For instant, loctite's super glue (liquid precision, not the gel stuff) dries instantly and gives a firm, strong bond but it can be snapped easily for those few of us who might want to re-base on other bases. The majority would just use the provided base and go from there so it makes sense to accomodate them.

axiom":3klwhwgs said:
Opinions sought please. For the 2014 warband we didn't base the figures, leaving it for the winner to do as per their own taste. There are pros and cons to this approach.

Pros: the winner has full control; the basing is consistent.
Cons: the winner has to base 20-30 models; the group shots look unfinished.

We have a couple of options to consider:

1) Same as last year - forget about the bases and provide the figure to the winner to be based in due course.
2) I base each model as it arrives to ensure a consistent finish (mainly for photographic purposes).
3) Contributors base their models to a pre-agreed finish (texture, scenics, colours).
4) Another option I haven't thought of.

Any preferences, comments, suggestions?

You could just send the mini with the base loose? If the base is attached too flimsily i.e. super glue, then it's just as likely to snap off in transit.

Why not leave it up to the poor sod who wins the warband to base :grin: That way they don't have to clean the old glue & paint off the base, then rebase them?

If it was me, it wouldn't bother me having to do it.

Regarding the photographic issue, you could ask the winner to photograph them once their all based up?

My two cents.

Matt in PA

I like the basic black approach. As stated last year, the eventual owner should base to match his or her own collection. Perhaps the warband pics could be taken in a urban or darker spaceship interior setting to minimize the effect of plain black bases?

Chico

Based as they come in or left black, standard starship style basing if done when turned in.

phreedh

Based as they come in is (in my opinion) unnecessary and potentially wasted work.

I'm a stickler for base coherency. I won't play with anything not matching, base wise. I won't play with models with unfinished bases. For me, a streakily painted base with a gap in the slotta is unfinished. I know I'm not alone in this view, thus I think we should settle for the minimal acceptance level. Which for me is standard plastic slotta base with the gap (neatly) filled in and painted matte black. Everybody participating can do this. Anybody winning would be able to, with minimal fuzz, either continue the basing or redo it. Or keep it, if so inclined. Also, it would mean any pics taken by the participants or by Jon would look finished (no shiny plastic base, but a nice matte surface).

quindia

I know I'd rather base them myself so they match the rest of my collection. I have a huge collection of Napoleonic miniatures made up from different manufacturers and painted in several different styles, but they are all based the same and blend together perfectly on the table...

antipixi

Leave the basing to the winner. I agree that this will help him or her blend them with the rest of their collection.

Jon, if it's the photos that are an issue, just do as the OG 'Hammerers did and set the scene then cover everything in half a tonne of Autumn Green flock ;)

symphonicpoet

I favor the minimalist approach, though it obliges me to get some putty, as I have none other than the green stuff at present. (I fill gaps with PVA as I cover them. Had arrow green for years, but it dried out. Ought to get some more anyway.)

phreedh

symphonicpoet":1xjl4ggm said:
I favor the minimalist approach, though it obliges me to get some putty, as I have none other than the green stuff at present. (I fill gaps with PVA as I cover them. Had arrow green for years, but it dried out. Ought to get some more anyway.)
Greenstuff can work too, just don't overdo it. =)

Zhu Bajie

I'd like you to all base them on original issue Citadel hex-bases in unique numbers - we can set up a thread to make sure the numbers aren't duplicated (you knowslotta bases are numbered right?)

That way when I win I won't have to hunt them down.

Thanks!

PS. Hex bases are the very soul of Rouge Trader :geek:

Fimm McCool

Forthcoming (but far away) Factious Waste releases from Oakbound will be on hex bases... I drew up the Field of Vision templates for them last week. :)

symphonicpoet

Doing a bit of experimental research in my own collection . . . many Citadel bases are indeed numbered, but at least with RT era round bases they are not universally so.

As to unique hex bases . . .

I call 12. ;)

(Assuming I do a model that will fit on a hex base.)

ardyer

symphonicpoet":2mgj75jv said:
Doing a bit of experimental research in my own collection . . . many Citadel bases are indeed numbered, but at least with RT era round bases they are not universally so.

As to unique hex bases . . .

I call 12. ;)

(Assuming I do a model that will fit on a hex base.)

Do a search. There was a scarily long thread about this a while back!

symphonicpoet

Just read through it. Interesting. Didn't particularly frighten me. But then I looked through all my spares to see what I had even before knowing about the thread and glanced at the hex based minis out on the table presently to see what I had. (11-14 apparently. Not counting whatever is presently boxed up with armies. Not too many hexes.) Lots of variety of round bases, including some manufactured for EM4. I'm incredibly unselective about my bases, so it's just happenstance what miniature ends up on what base. Don't think I've got any Citadel on non-citadel bases yet, but I'm sure it will happen eventually as non-citadel slottas begin to invade the collection. That said, I'm getting off topic.

Yes, the minimalist approach seems best. And I'll make sure the base is easily removable. I may not have spot putty right now, but I could use some anyway. And I have wall patching spackle, which should satisfy all requirements. May have to try that for a base gap filling material anyway, just because it suddenly sounds ideal and I've got a bunch of Spacelords to try and base on 25 mm rounds. And green stuff is WAY too much work to just fill a bloody gap.

quindia

I'll be happy to use whatever method people decide on, but I've always used masking tape to simply cover the gaps. The glue from adding flock/etc. seals it quite nicely... I've never adding any trouble with it peeling up or otherwise coming off. Why mess around with putty and filler when you are going to texture it all anyway?

Back