Question about Painting Skeletons

I have some old Citadel mounted skeletons that I wand to paint (as well as some of those great old plastic sprues). I've never been very happy with my technique in the past. What do other people do? I'd love some tips (accompanied or not with pictures)... if it matters, I mainly use Vallejo paints. Thanks for the help!

Protist

Black primer is good, grey and white aren't too well suited to this method. Vallejo model colour (VMC) burnt umber -> drybrush VMC beige brown -> a thin, dark brown wash all over - painted very thinly on the brush so as not to pool, and a VMC black+dark brown wash between ribs, eyes, mouth etc -> beige brown + dark sand (or VMC Buff) -> highlights with dark sand or buff again, its slightly yellower and darker, for a more worn look.) Pick out teeth with VMC Pale sand, though this isn't critical. I usually drybrush all the layers to make them look pitted and craggy, but sometimes overbrush (wetter paint and side of the brush hairs) for a cleaner, sharper look.

Then comes the fun part - matte glazing medium + paint + water, equal parts of each. Paint more or less depending on where the skellies came from and how dirty you want them. ie. desert skellies will have only a very little rusty or sandy brown colour, dab on with a brush then dab off with some paper - should leave a very faint stain/mottling here and there. Normal graveyard skellies will get some brown and a touch of green dabbed on with an old brush with split ends. Skellies from damp areas will get more green than brown, with a gloss medium green mix added after varnishing to give it that wet algae look!

Also, for the mods, I think this thread shouldn't be in the Challenges section?

Aiteal

Quick and easy, army painter skeleton bone spray and strong tone dip/ink, that's what I do with placcy skellies
When I wanna take a wee bit more time I go for army painter leather brown primer, then use the foundry bone triad with washed of citadel sepia between layers
gives good results imho, and the ready mixed triads are a god send when painting the same colours over and over
the leather brown spray basecoat means i don't have to start with too may layers on the base bone, which saves time but still gives me a dark basecoat which I prefer

some of the highlights are a little lost in this pic sorry
s0ns5Cj.jpg

edit
does this look any better? posting from my phone and hard to tell :(
Ag5msFs.jpg

Thanks Protist and Aiteal - your posts are very helpful. I'll try out both techniques.
Yes - I think I may have misunderstood what "painting challenges" is all about. I'm new to teh forum and thought it meant "challenges you have when painting". Oops.

Naagruz

For plastics, which are mostly bones, I keep it simple.
* Black & white zenithal undercoat.
* Minor pure white highlighting on topmost surfaces.
* Brush on dip of mixed Polyshades Tudor Satin/Antique Walnut on bone surfaces.
* Re-highlight as needed with thinned pure white.
* Paint the other bits & brush on Dullcote.

I also go back in and, after re-highlighting the teeth, black some out. How all those "Medieval warrior" skeletons got such nice sets of teeth was always a mystery to me. :grin:

Attachments

• C19_SKEL-b.jpg
    C19_SKEL-b.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 4,687

Aiteal

Naagruz":37bp4ati said:
I also go back in and, after re-highlighting the teeth, black some out. How all those "Medieval warrior" skeletons got such nice sets of teeth was always a mystery to me. :grin:

Haha, fair point.
But, the medieval Welsh were know to clean their teeth often with hazel twigs.
Everyone else in Europe were a bit dirty though.
Some of us still are, fluoridated water and orthodontists are for Americans :)

Nnagruz - I love those pics. The glowing eyes are tops!
Can you share the technique you use to get that great oxidized green copper? It looks magic.

Naagruz

Thanks! :grin:
Basically, it's similar to what I did in my pigments thread for verdigris HERE.

Brassy/copper paint underneath, apply dry pigments (white, turquoise, green-blue), fix with turpentine, & then rub off some of the pigment in select areas with a damp brush. I also stippled in some greenish-brown oil paint & blended that out with a damp brush (damp with turps) as well.

Mostyn

For what it's worth, and at the other extreme I guess of the 'realistically scummy' skeleton, I like to do mine quite clean. Basically bone undercoat with shadows either painted on in black or washed and then highlighted up to off-white.

Oh, I do have unhealthy man love for those marauder skeletons.

Grumdril

Naagruz, those skellies are insanely good. Especially the eyes, but generally the whole package.

/me picks up jaw from floor, shambles off.

Grumdril

Back