Khorne World Eaters Army Challenge

Having trouble getting anything painted? Join our monthly challenges or group projects!

Moderator: Moderators

Post Tue May 27, 2014 10:41 pm

Khorne World Eaters Army Challenge

In order to get back into the swing of painting after a break of a few weeks, yesterday I have started a painting challange on my blog to paint up my Khorne World Eaters army.

Last night I undercoated the army, this evening basecoated.

Not many of them are Oldhammer, some are more early 1990's, whilst the plastic ones are early 2000's, but it is a project to get me back into painting again after a break, and by extention into painting up more of my Oldhammer era stuff. The Chaos army consists of 70 Chaos Marines, 2 Predators, Defiler, and a Dreadnought.

Here's the link to my blog: http://goblinlee.blogspot.co.uk/

...and here are a few photographs of WIP so far. I shall be posting here too as I go.
BTW, for those not familar with my blog there are lots of Oldhammer things tucked away in my older posts :)
Attachments
khorne tuesday 006 20%.jpg
khorne tuesday 006 20%.jpg (185.72 KiB) Viewed 2462 times
khorne tuesday 012 20%.jpg
khorne tuesday 012 20%.jpg (163.15 KiB) Viewed 2462 times
khorne tuesday 009 20%.jpg
khorne tuesday 009 20%.jpg (158.63 KiB) Viewed 2462 times

Post Wed May 28, 2014 10:41 pm

Re: Khorne World Eaters Army Challenge

More Khorne Marines!

I managed to paint 20 Marines and two Predators this evening. :)

I have lightly added silver detailing to the bolt pistols, and more solid painting to the helmet eye pieces and gold symbols/bolt pistol ammo. I also painted the mouth of the World Eater shoulder pad black to suggest a gapping maw. I then gave them all a wash of Citadels Bloodletter Glaze.

http://goblinlee.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/khorne-world-eater-army-challenge_28.html

The concept is to paint up the army in a dark brooding paint scheme, rather than than a precise ornate one. I am going more for a mood feel rather than showroom style.

Tomorrow I plan to tackle 30 marines as I need to work my way thruogh the bulk of the army's troops before tackling the Chosen Marines, Warlord, or the Dreadnought and Defiler. :)
Attachments
khorne wednesday 014 18.jpg
The Two Predators
khorne wednesday 014 18.jpg (152.13 KiB) Viewed 2441 times
khorne wednesday 008 18.jpg
Close up of a Beserker showing the armour.
khorne wednesday 008 18.jpg (114.99 KiB) Viewed 2441 times
khorne w 2 002 18.jpg
The evenings output.
khorne w 2 002 18.jpg (151.52 KiB) Viewed 2441 times

Post Thu May 29, 2014 10:18 pm

I have painted another 20 Chaos Space Marine this evening, and got halfway through painting another 20. :)

The plan is to to finish the last 20 Marines off tomorrow, and make a start on a few of the Chosen Marines as well. On Saturday evening I shall paint the rest of the Chosen and the Warlord (if I get time). Sunday will be the Dreadnought and the Defiler, and then basing the whole army. This leaves Monday to tidy up any odds and ends, and then varnishing :)
Attachments
khorne thursday 004 18.jpg
khorne thursday 004 18.jpg (151.94 KiB) Viewed 2422 times

Post Fri May 30, 2014 11:25 pm

More Marines this evening!

I have painted the last of the Troops Choice, the last 20 Berserker Marines. I have also painte 4 of the Marine from the Chosen Squad.
Attachments
kh2 001 18.jpg
Two of the Chosen.
kh2 001 18.jpg (147.04 KiB) Viewed 2411 times
khorne friday 001 18.jpg
This evenings painting.
khorne friday 001 18.jpg (150.23 KiB) Viewed 2411 times

Post Sat May 31, 2014 2:24 am

As usual, nice (and prolific) work Lee- the gritty paint scheme works well.

I have a (smaller) World Eater army that I need to paint up one of these years, lots of those 90s metals and plastic monopose chaps in there.
I'm jealous of the Predators too ;)
R.I.P. Dave Brockie, AKA Oderus Urungus

My blog http://leadoralivebruno.blogspot.com.au/2014/06/enter-bruno.html

Post Sat May 31, 2014 10:04 am

Awesome :) I love the simple and striking painting, nice and grungy!

Post Sat May 31, 2014 10:43 am

@ Count Von Bruno,
thank you I am pleased I have maintained the output this week considering the busy week at work. The whole idea was to get back into the swing of painting in the evenings after work as without a specific project I felt I was losing focus and getting lazy just sorting out miniatures and buying occsional Goblins from e-bay. That's why I went for a simplers paint scheme, but also I had seen it done before and wanted to give it a try :)

I would like to see your World Eater Army as your work on your Squats is very good. I have had the Predators in a box for years and thought if I don't use them for the World Eater Army I won't end up using them for anything, which would be a shame as they are nice models. It also gives the army a couple of pair of las-cannon which is also handy! :)

@ Smiler,
thank you, glad you like them. I wanted to go for a simple paint scheme, I was never a fan of the bright red style of painting them, and also to get back into the habit of painting in the evenings. I had seen this paint scheme in a White Dwarf about 15 years ago, and on Don Hans blog, and wanted to try it and modify it.

I love the darker mood it gives them, striking is a good description :) . The simple colour scheme gives a slight dark aura about them, and that they belong more in the Eye of Terror than in the material universe with their nice neat paint schemes. It's fun and quick to paint too. :)

Post Sat May 31, 2014 11:06 am

I much prefer atmospheric paint styles like this to ultra realistic, I think it's more appropriate for something that is seen from a distance during play. I have to agree the pace is amazing and I'm a big fan of the blocky turret predators :)

I might have to copy your scheme for my Sisters of Battle project which has stalled through lack of a paint scheme I was happy with. I think a dark feel would suit them well as they go round burning innoce... Oh, I mean heretics :P

Post Sat May 31, 2014 11:32 pm

I only managed to paint 5 Chaos Marines today because I was out all day!

I still have the Warlord, the Dreadnought, and the Defiler to do, but I have a completely free day tomorrow in which to paint! :)

Today I did also manage to add flagstones to a couple of the bases, the larger unpainted models of the Dreadnought and Warlord on Juggernought. If I get time I will be adding flagstones and rubble to all the bases. :)
Attachments
Khorne Friday 002 18.jpg
Flagstones on the base. They are just 1cm square pieces of plasti-card glued on.
Khorne Friday 002 18.jpg (144.11 KiB) Viewed 2384 times
Khorne Friday 001 18.jpg
5 Chosen Marines.
Khorne Friday 001 18.jpg (150.8 KiB) Viewed 2384 times

Post Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:10 am

World Eaters marines are a classic force to go for, the newer models may not be as classic as the stuff from the earliest chaos renegades era but they are still pretty dynamic looking en masse. Nice atmospheric job on them at your usual astounding pace. ;)
Next

Return to Painting Challenges