Khorne World Eaters Army Challenge

Having trouble getting anything painted? Join our monthly challenges or group projects!

Moderator: Moderators

Post Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:32 am

Re: Khorne World Eaters Army Challenge

Mr Lee these are the only ones I have painted up, taking my cues from the 2nd edition 40k rulebook gallery.
This is a recent mini I have as the Lord, when I'm financial again I might look into one on an old school Jugger
Personally I don't go much on the newer loyalist marines but I'm much more tolerant of the Chaos boys.
You probably painted half your army in the time it took me to do these three :lol:
R.I.P. Dave Brockie, AKA Oderus Urungus

My blog http://leadoralivebruno.blogspot.com.au/2014/06/enter-bruno.html

Post Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:49 am

You are right, Khorne Marines are a classic army to go for, I almost see them as the standard Chaos version as compared to the standard loyalist Ultramarines. I'm pleased with how I am getting on with them. :)

I like your Khorne Marines, they do have that old 2nd Edition feel to them with the brighter red, and the red and green together. I wanted to avoid that and go for something a bit gritter to give that dark brooding feel, and to try that style of painting. Your newer Lord model with the axe is quite nice, something about the helmet and axe that suggests a 'Slaves to Darkness' inspiration.

Like you I prefer the old 1980's Chaos Renegades and I was sorting out my collection of them before this project. It was because I was getting bogged down in sorting them out that I started painting the Khorne Marines in order to get some painting done and back into the flow of painting.

The old Juggernoughts are great, I have the 1990's one which I am painted up for this army, and three of the old 1980's ones with riders. As you may know I had planned to put all my Chaos Renegades into one big Emperor's Children force, including all the Steeds of Slaanesh, but that meant not using some of the Nurgle, Tzeentch, and Khorne models, including the Juggernoughts, which I felt was a waste. So what I have started to do was split the collection into five parts.

I have worked out I can field one complete Emperor's Children Detachment from to 'Slaves to Darkness' book, and one complete World Eaters detachment. With the left over Marines I have start to assemble two smaller forces from the 'Lost and the Damned' book. As there is no upper limit to their armies I plan on 7 Squads for Nurgle, 9 for Tzeentch (both armies squads are only 5 strong), plus any odds and ends.
The Chaos Terminator force will be a Sons of Horus/Black Legion force on thier own based on the Chaos Terminator list in one of the White Dwarfs. That way I can have all the different armies and thier respective paint schemes, and field them as seperate forces, or if gaming the Horus Heresy, then all together.

It has menat that I won't have one huge army, but I think that's worth it as I can still field all the Renegades together for the Heresy, and I get to paint and organise several different type of army. I have also had to add a few normal 1980's marines, but with Chaos backpacks, here and there to bulk out things, but again I think that will fit the Heresy/Early Long War era. I will also still need to pick up a few odds and ends from e-bay, including a fourth Land Raider! :)

I quite like the newer Loyalist Marines, I bought some, but mainly to convert using ForgeWorld bits into a Horus Heresy era army more akin to the artwork in the Collected Visons artbook.

Post Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:18 am

I'd always been set on the 90's Jugger Lord until I saw the older ones...if only I had been born 10 years earlier so I could have had an income and bought all these things I want back in the day!
Khorne and Nurgle have always been my favourites by a country mile, I went with World Eaters as they were the easiest for me to assemble via ebay.

Your project sounds very exciting, particularly the Terminator force- those old Traitor Termies are superb.
When purchasing my armies I usually had grand schemes of one massive force, but when getting down to the nitty gritty I think it is easier and more enjoyable/practical to do several smaller forces rather than one huge lot- I rarely play )and it's 2nd when I do) but I'm finding I really enjoy smaller games, and a mob of 20 Orks sounds brilliant to me in theory but two mobs of 10 is so much more manageable.

Anyways, looking forward to more updates mate :)
R.I.P. Dave Brockie, AKA Oderus Urungus

My blog http://leadoralivebruno.blogspot.com.au/2014/06/enter-bruno.html

Post Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:32 pm

Sunday Update!
Although I achieved less painting than I had hoped today, I did manage to rebase all the of the Marines in the army.
I also painted the Defiler, and the Dreadnought. :)

I only have the Warlord to paint and then the army is completed. However, the painting of the bases still remains to be done. I painted five of the bases up for the blog, but it might take several days to complete them all. I painted the bases Vallejo Stone Grey, and then highlighted them with just white.

So, after painting the Warlord tomorrow, the army will be painted in a week, but the bases might take the rest of the week. :roll:
Attachments
Khorne Sunday 013 18.jpg
Close up of the painted bases.
Khorne Sunday 013 18.jpg (116.16 KiB) Viewed 832 times
Khorne Sunday 006 18.jpg
The Dreadnought
Khorne Sunday 006 18.jpg (132.88 KiB) Viewed 832 times
Khorne Sunday 005 18.jpg
The Defiler
Khorne Sunday 005 18.jpg (138.5 KiB) Viewed 832 times

Post Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:44 pm

This evening I have finished painting the Warlord on a Juggernought, and as a consequence I have finished painting the army in a week, which is what I set out to achieve. :)

The bases still need to be painted, and the army varnished, but the actual painting is completed. I am very happy with the speed and the resultant look of the army. I went for a dark, moody and gritty feel for the army, and I think I have achieved this with the simple but effective paint scheme.

I will not be doing anymore daily updates for the army while basing, but will add photographs of the based army next sunday on my blog.
:)
Attachments
khorne week complete 004 18.jpg
Side view.
khorne week complete 004 18.jpg (124.3 KiB) Viewed 821 times
khorne week complete 013 18.jpg
The complete army.
khorne week complete 013 18.jpg (143.66 KiB) Viewed 821 times
khorne week complete 002 18.jpg
Warlord on a Juggernought.
khorne week complete 002 18.jpg (123.51 KiB) Viewed 821 times

Post Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:16 pm

Now that's throughput 8-) . Show us some squad level pic's of the basic infantry squads when you get the basing finished if you get a chance.

Post Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:51 pm

Sure no worries,
I'll do proper squad by squad photographs and more detailed shots of some of the Marines and tanks for the blog update next week. :)

Post Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:44 pm

:) congrats on completing such a mammoth project in the time most of us paint one mini and managing to make an awesome looking army!

Post Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:58 pm

Thank you Smiler,
I'm pleased that I managed to get them all finished in a week, it was a fun and useful exercise. I will continue to complete the basing this week and post a more in depth update on my blog at the weekend. :)

Post Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:45 am

Looks bloody gorgeous (as any Khornate army should look!) :D
PreviousNext

Return to Painting Challenges