Votes: 3 75.0%
  • Purple

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

vonkortez

Touched by Slaanesh this brood brother was born with pupilless eyes, pale skin and purple hair. Fearing the inquisition his parents left him to die but the baby was found by a member of a genestealer cult. Regarded sacred because of his coloring the baby was adopted into the coven and raised to be a warrior. Grown up now he fights side by side with his new family.

IMG_20200324_203927_0.jpg

IMG_20200324_203936_3.jpg

symphonicpoet

Absolutely fantastic! :) I've used those same Olley Imp Guard as cultists myself. They've got this lovely in between look to them, since they fit so well with the Olley hybrids. You can use color to take them either way. Anyway . . . fantastic!

Sleepysod

The legacy 2019 thread being revived reminded me that I need make a start on my hybrid for 2020.

As green is the colour of choice I am thinking military khaki-type colours, possibly some camo on his trousers, with dulled gold flex joints on the top half and knee pad - or do people think this is more like genestealer carapace? (i.e. should I go traditional colours for top half/arms in in particular?)

symphonicpoet

Oh, looking very good! :) I . . . uh . . . ought to think about that some myself. ;)

Fortunately, there's still PLENTY of time. :) (Maybe someone will even let me out of my house before they're due. And even if not hopefully the post will still be running come then.)

symphonicpoet

Tauntaun Scout":1ir6wtxy said:
How does this whole thing work? I am in. I will paint the stuffs for the covenings.

It's basically a miniature exchange raffle. Everyone who wants to participate antes up with one miniature fitting the theme. You mail them to me. At the end of the year someone neutral (Blue in VT the last couple of times) randomly determines a winner of all those as submitted, and I mail the entire lot off to the lucky party. Very simple stuff, but it leads to a neat variety of miniatures. It's not required that it be old, just thematically appropriate. (Though old lead is not uncommon.) The Space Pirates about four years ago got outrageously large. The chaos band last year was a little smaller. Maybe eight or ten miniatures might be closer to typical. I'll put you down as TBD until you decide what you want to submit.

The spot color this year is green, by the way. And there are some pictures of submissions in this thread to get your creative juices flowing. (Some lovely stuff already.)

Seems like there's enough hybrids.

I am planning on doing a Brood Brother. I have a RT metal imperial guard casualty that takes plastic arms. I'm going to try to make him trying to hold a cult flag aloft while feebly defending himself with a pistol.

I might do a beastman.

This is supposed to be a skirmish warband of about 10 infantry models, not an army of a few dozen with a couple vehicles, right?

symphonicpoet

^It's all reliant on how many people sign up. You are number eight, so . . .

I expect it will be characterful, but more skirmish than army. The nucleus of a good cult, rather than a full-on first edition x-thousand point army. There are some lovely hybrids earlier in the thread. Lord Chaotl Oml has generously agreed to provide a magus. I figure I can provide whatever is needful late in the game. (Seeing as mailing time from my workshop to my basement is pretty instantaneous.) I'm figuring I can gin up a patriarch of some kind if needed, or maybe provide another hybrid, or a cultist. I'll try to make it fun and useful. Purestrains are theoretically a part of the game as well, but I figure most of us have at least a few plastic purestrains. (They're not the cheapest miniatures on the bay anymore, but still cheaper than a lot, I suspect.) Anyway, I'll put you down for a brood brother. I think I have precisely that IG casualty. Lovely figure. :)

Can I paint more than one if I want?

Just the other day a friend was cleaning out and gave me a ziploc full of plastic genestealers if you need one. I was thinking of trying to convert one to hold a demon weapon, that's all the "patriarch" in the original book was.

symphonicpoet

I've no objection to folks submitting multiple models, but I would still wish to make it one person=one chance rather than someone simply submitting a lot of entries to stack the deck. (Particularly since entries count the same no matter how much their aftermarket value.) A few years back we had a mixed lot of inquisitors vs. gangers and if I recall correctly several folks submitted on both sides, but still only got one ticket, if you will.

And yes, the patriarch is really just the first and oldest purestrain. But he's long been somewhat bigger and more impressive. No worries, either way. And if there's holes in the cult I can't fill with my own submission (which won't be a standard plastic genestealer, though I surely have plenty) . . . whoever wins can always fill 'em. This will be fine. :)

Call me crazy, but this is mostly about the spirit of neat conversions and characterful models. It's not so much about rules, or points, or any of that. And the spirit of folks contributing what their budget and skills allow. Converters usually seem to submit conversions. Collectors sometimes like to submit oddities. And everybody seems to want to paint and tell stories. It's all about the happy. :)

symphonicpoet":3rtkeuhu said:
I've no objection to folks submitting multiple models, but I would still wish to make it one person=one chance rather than someone simply submitting a lot of entries to stack the deck. (Particularly since entries count the same no matter how much their aftermarket value.) A few years back we had a mixed lot of inquisitors vs. gangers and if I recall correctly several folks submitted on both sides, but still only got one ticket, if you will.

And yes, the patriarch is really just the first and oldest purestrain. But he's long been somewhat bigger and more impressive. No worries, either way. And if there's holes in the cult I can't fill with my own submission (which won't be a standard plastic genestealer, though I surely have plenty) . . . whoever wins can always fill 'em. This will be fine. :)

Call me crazy, but this is mostly about the spirit of neat conversions and characterful models. It's not so much about rules, or points, or any of that. And the spirit of folks contributing what their budget and skills allow. Converters usually seem to submit conversions. Collectors sometimes like to submit oddities. And everybody seems to want to paint and tell stories. It's all about the happy. :)

Ok. I missed something, I didn't realize it was a straight raffle. I thought the army went to whoever painted the best model. I like the raffle better.

symphonicpoet

Tauntaun Scout":bvzd22l9 said:
Ok. I missed something, I didn't realize it was a straight raffle. I thought the army went to whoever painted the best model. I like the raffle better.

No worries at all. Glad to have straightened it out. A straight raffle makes it much easier, I think. :) There is a painting contest. Or at least there was in the past. But that was a separate thing.

epicsatsuma

Anyone here from the UK? I thought if so, then maybe we could combine postage of the models?

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

symphonicpoet

I suppose if folks wanted to we could just agree to individually mail our entries to the winner. No real idea why we started by mailing models to the organizer. I've just kind of kept up the model I inherited. Hopefully the mail will be running better again by the end of the year, but . . . I'm willing to be flexible. I do try to document things when they come across my table, but there are surely other folks as could do that.

I think the point is, no one can win until you get their entry. It's assurance that it actually gets done and everyone pays to play.

Back