[MUSTER] The Fimir of Clan Slea

lenihan

So my main project at the moment is trying to paint up a sizeable contingent of fimir. Having only ever painted up elves before, I felt it was time to have a go at something else, and so I got to work on a handful of minis for Blog-Con at the foundry in November. Although I'm keeping my eye out for classic citadel fimir, my goal is to try and generate a working army without making my family destitute.

So here's what I started with; a unit of Fimm Warriors. Mostly HQ fimir - I bought some that someone had already started doing some conversion work on, and then did further work myself to try and make them a bit less monopose. In addition, there's an Impact minis ARBBL "Chaotic Warrior" with a high elf axe and also a Privateer Press hordes mini with a couple of toes clipped off, scales obscured with green stuff, and his snout replaced with something more beaky and fimir-like.
f1.jpg

Here's a couple of pictures of them in action at Blog-Con (thanks to Warlord Paul for the pics):
f6.JPG

f7.JPG

lenihan

For the scenarios that weekend, the clan summoned fen demons; marsh crawlers (old citadel AD&D carrion crawlers, counting as beasts of nurgle) and vermes (C-P models giant worms that split into Heresy Minis giant slugs, using the rules for blue horrors and pink horrors):
f2.JPG

f4.JPG

f5.JPG

Here's a family photo of everyone together (with a cameo from one of the Forgeworld fimir that I painted to serve as a stand in Warlord):
f8.jpg

Next stop, I'm painting some Oakbound Games Myeri clubtails as a unit of Fianna Fimm.

Chico

Yep the Marsh Demons make great Virginal Fimm (Auto correct changed that but it made me laugh so it stays), I look forward to seeing yours.

lenihan

Work begins on the Fianna Fimm/clubtails - all assembled and ready to paint:
f9.JPG

Models from Oakbound miniatures, of course, and weapons from Hasslefree miniatures (axes) and thebattleforge (clubs).

Fimm McCool

Sweet. I'm impressed how you've nearly got them to rank up! Been finally painting my own this week too. Pretty axes as well, might get some from Hasslefree once they restock on the sci-fi weapons I want from them.

lenihan

I just prefer the crowded feel of a unit on 25mm bases - the 3rd ed rulebook seems to imply that was the plan for fimir rank and file all along, before the oversize Nick Bibby sculpts. I do, however, hope to have a unit of those Nick Bibby ones in the future, and they will obviously be based on 40mm.

And you know what, these models DO actually rank up, although it took a lot of re-glueing and cursing to make that happen! Should have pushed them base to base to prove it... once they're painted, you'll see!

The hasslefree axes do work, I think, although they're just very slightly on the small size.

lenihan

Having painted the flesh I'm now having fun trying to figure out what to do with the armour and clothing on these... trying to work out what's bone and what's metal and what's fur, etc.! In particular looking at the hunched over backs of the the clubtails and working out what I'm going to do paint-wise there. (hope that doesn't sound like I'm being harsh on the really great sculpting, I always have this problem trying to interpret what's going on!) As far as I can make out, the armour is mostly dead animals, bit of bronze ornamentation thrown in for good measure, which I think will look pretty cool if I can get it right!

Fimm McCool

Yeah, it's pretty much leather or plate with a few skulls thrown in. Mostly based on the tooled leather look of the Mystic robes from the Dark Crystal. Just finished my own so I'll put some photos up when I get back home... not that they're definitive of course! And feel free to be constructively critical of the sculpting, I'm still learning after all!

lenihan

Oakbound Marsh Demon Clubtails done! (except for basing - still considering my options there...)
f10.jpg

f11.jpg

And here's a picture of the whole clan so far:
f12.jpg

lenihan

Very nice uses of the model, especially the chainsaw hands - though I'm not sure I'd get away with that in a WHFB army! They're very fine chaotic one eyed bog monsters, and I have one more in my leadpile for future use.

lenihan

Poor quality photos I'm afraid, but more as a record of my progress than anything else, my first attempt at painting a Nick Bibby fimir - this one can act as my warlord. Also, for the scenario we were playing yesterday, I decided we needed a crude war altar. For that purpose I painted up the top of the heroquest rack model, and put it on the backs of two shearl (thralls from Oakbound miniatures' "The Woods" range of Marsh Demons).
f14.jpg

Sorry you can't see things very clearly, but just so you get the idea, here's another picture from the battle yesterday - unfortunately in this one my warlord is legging it!
f15.jpg

I've also painted some black chaos hounds, taking inspiration from the East Anglian tale of "Black Shuck" - more on the background for this on my blog here:
http://wheretheseapoursout.blogspot.co. ... rrors.html
f13.jpg

Fimm McCool

That dog don't give a f*!k..... :)

Very nice. I want Black Shucks myself, which is why I'm releasing multi-part Barguest models with the Woods, oh joy! :) Genius idea to use the rack from Heroquest like that, can't help feel it's missing a certain scantily-clad fertile captive lady though...

Back