[Muster] Ratrak's Arrers and some scary lads

Having trouble getting anything painted? Join our monthly challenges or group projects!

Moderator: Moderators

Post Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:21 am

Re: [Muster] Ratrak's Arrers and some scary lads

Oi, you're late!

Sorry boss.

Progress has been embarrassingly slow on these chaps, in part because real life has been busy but also in part due to a not-very-sensible approach. I tried tackling too many figures at once and so lost enthusiasm around the base coating stage. Eventually I got some to the wash and highlight stage and it all got better from there.

Still basing to do, unfortunately. Plus they still need their standard bearer, but I'm rather daunted by the need to build him an arm!

I'm pleased with the way Erny's orcs mix in with the metal ones, although the right hand end of each rank is at a premium to give space to those enormous scimitars! :)

I also need to give credit to Jeff McC for the colour scheme - for years I avoided painting orcs in greens and browns which rather limited my options. Thanks to some of the examples I've seen on here I now begin to appreciate how to give even irregular units a vaguely uniform overall look while still keeping variety in there.

Still plenty more to do to make these chaps into a decent sized unit, but first I'm going to divert onto some other figures including the hobgoblins.

Donator

Post Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:20 pm

Looking good! Classics all...

This is a gret inspiration....I plan on having a big green skin painting push this fall...reviewing threads like this will get me all fired up!

I know sometimes it's a slog but keep plugging along and the results will add up to something quite impressive.

Blue
3rd Edition will rise AGAIN!!!!
My Painting collecting...and sometimes gaming Blog: http://bluesmarauders.blogspot.com/

Post Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:23 pm

Well done Paul,
Keep up the good work and you'll get there. How are we looking for another meeting at Abingdon? (No pointing in doing all this painting - if the little fellas aren't going to get a chance to come out and play.)

In hope

Paul / Golgfag1
How can I ever have enough stuff, I don't need.

https://golgfags.blogspot.co.uk/

Post Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:44 pm

@ Blue in VT - thanks, glad you like them. As you say, however slow, at least I'm moving forward!

@ Paul - Yes, absolutely. The one thing my lads like better than a good fight is a good fight against another army. Ideally one that's surprised, hung-over or otherwise incapacitated! :) When's good for you - my Friday's are pretty clear except for 16th May?

Paul / Grumdril

Post Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:26 pm

I've finally got to the point where I've just shy of 1000pts of painted stuff. Let's not talk too much about how many are properly based though...

Unfortunately Paul / Golgfag1's skinny elves gave some of these a bit of a mauling last night, so I'm going to need to rustle up some replacements... There's definitely a downside to this narrative gaming lark :)

Progress is being made though!

Post Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:26 pm

Their coming along quite nicely Paul, :D

and their a lot better looking in the flesh as it were; so, I would worry too much about how unkindly the dice appeared to roll for them last night - they gave a pretty good showing for themselves once the squabbling ceased. Sorry to say I couldn't open your zip file, so you're going to have to post the pictures I'm afraid. :roll: :roll: :roll:

See you soon

Paul / Golgfag1
How can I ever have enough stuff, I don't need.

https://golgfags.blogspot.co.uk/

Post Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:43 am

Three and a half years later I'm up to 1000 points of painted chaos. Not an impressive painting speed by the standards of anyone here, but I'm glad to get there...!

Post Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:11 am

Hah!

I love to see an old project thread revived!

Congratulations on getting up to 1000

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Previous

Return to Painting Challenges