[MUSTER] The retinue of Gilbert, Baron de Corbin

Mister Rab

Nothing to show yet, but I plan to at least get undercoating this afternoon and put a list up of my planned painting. It'll be a slight cheat for half a dozen models as they just need prising off their hex bases and transferring onto some 20mm squares. It'll be the standard Bret approach:

Mounted knights
Foot knights
Crossbows
Spearmen
Peasants
A cannon
Allied dwarf unit

Jacques, barman of the Wounded Gryphon cupped a hand round his ear and leaned forward to catch the traveller's question over the din of a busy evening on market day. "Eh? What's that? The Baron? Big admirer of Baron Gilbert, me. Not actually ever met him, o’ course but his taxes don’t leave us starving, he doesn’t ‘invite’ our wives and daughters to keep him warm at nights, and his seneschal and soldiers keep the King’s Highway and the towns free of anything major that creeps out of the wilderness. Must have been here twenty winters by my reckoning, round about the harvest time when my eldest was born. I heard he upset the wrong person at court, lost all his holdings but this one and has been exiled here ever since. A proper Marcher now like the rest of us. Mind you, I wouldn’t cross him – might end up having to ‘explain things’ to his nephew, Sir Reynaud, the seneschal. He’s as hard and cold as iron, that one. Maybe you have to become a bit of a monster to be so successful at crushing them?"

Mister Rab

A bit of a group shot before I get properly underway. There is a fair bit more stuff in boxes, too - cavalry, another cannon, more peasants etc

oyvv.jpg

Chico

Could of hid that box of Mantic you vile person, hehe only sick and twisted buy Mantic ;) heheh

Mister Rab

The lure of chaos warband gaming has rather knocked me off task with this muster but, thanks to the prospect of the Siege To End All Sieges at BOYL 2014, I'm hurriedly trying to make amends. So, here are a few arquebusiers and their knightly betters. Phone photos late at night. Sorry!

If you're a nobleman, you can do as you like as long as you can afford it and it's not treason. Even then, if you've got the money you can probably get away with treason as well. For most, though, it means indulging one's whims. Les arquebusiers de Thierry is one such whim. Inspired by the troubadours' tales of Thierry l'Arquebus, the minor noble Vicomte Lincolne raised a band of skirmishers armed and dressed as the literary figure; an arquebus and the green cloth for which the area of Lincolne is famed. The Vicomte seems to have missed the point that, although green is a good colour for a woodsman, poacher or skirmisher, as soon as they start shooting the noise and smoke will give them away instantly. Nevertheless, the greencoats are good shots and (for peasants) fairly stalwart.

2014-05-11+19.48.32.jpg

Then some rebased knights. A slight cheat (not newly painted), but they have been spruced up a little, chips painted over etc.

2014-05-11+19.49.51.jpg

Back left and 2nd from right aren't Citadel, or even Foundry re-releases, but from Black Tree Design's Early HYW range. They paint up nicely, were delivered quickly, and are only a bit bigger than their Citadel counterparts. I certainly don't mind mixing them in a unit.

Mister Rab

Thanks :) Even at double life size they don't look too shabby for the tabletop, which I count as a result. Got another knight 80% done in front of the telly tonight after the marking pile was vanquished so at this rate I might even have enough toys to bring to Newark...

Back