Big April Challenge - '17

Having trouble getting anything painted? Join our monthly challenges or group projects!

Moderator: Moderators

Post Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:26 am

Re: Big April Challenge - '17

Thanks!

The tartan was just made up on the fly. Honestly, I feel like I've done better (and on smaller figures!) but I'm OK with how he turned out.

As far as the bases, I should give credit to... Shadows Edge, from whom I bought the flowery, heathery tufts, and DeafNala from the Lead Adventure forum, who sent me some assorted mushrooms. The taller, more whimsical/interesting 'shroom one is one of his.

Post Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:28 am

Hey, I'm jealous of the tartan, but maybe the fact that it's a giant would help some. But honestly, I think you can paint circles around me anyway. So . . . suck it up and take it, bub! ;-)

Post Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:34 am

Haha, thanks!

Painted up the last of the metal Citadel giants, before they switched to plastic/resin/whatever. A bit more "Middlehammer" -ish, but... it's a giant and out of production so :P

Post Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:30 am

I think this is the last giant I'm going to get done by the end of April -- the Tom Meier/Ral Partha fire giant, which I thought made a nice frost giant...

I'm still working on the (not quite "oldhammer" but it has that same sort of charm to me) Warploque giant. Going to continue painting him past April, probably a little at a time. Almost done with the washes on the flesh...

Rambling about these and more on my blog.... http://www.zerotwentythree.com/2017/04/ ... eyond.html

Post Tue May 02, 2017 3:09 am

Here's what I managed to get painted for Big April '17:

And a showing off progress shot of my painted giant collection so far (not strictly "oldhammer," obviously)....

Meat-giants...

(I didn't paint the big Black Scorpion giant on the left.)

Skeletal giants...

And for the sake of completeness, my rat giant...

Post Tue May 02, 2017 8:05 pm

ZeroTwentythree wrote:And for the sake of completeness, my rat giant...

where did (s)he come from?
the dark knight of the twisted moon

Image Image

Post Wed May 03, 2017 2:05 pm

twisted moon wrote:

Something I sculpted for myself. Used as a giant in my old Skaven army.

In Dreamfish we trust
In Dreamfish we trust

Post Wed May 03, 2017 9:45 pm

ZeroTwentythree wrote:
twisted moon wrote:

Something I sculpted for myself. Used as a giant in my old Skaven army.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Wow .... Serious Skillz
Love that.

Post Tue May 23, 2017 6:01 am

Thanks. Not sure how serious my skills were... it was a bit of a learning experience. I was aiming for something with a (massively) enlarged & stylized look similar to the old Goodwin Skaven. Not sure I captured that, but I'm still fond of the figure as a first attempt at something large like that.

I added one last RP Meier giant to my collection. I was trying to get it before "Big April" ended, but missed out. Still, it didn't take too long to track one down for a reasonable price.

And a shot of the three RP Meier giants together.

...so far. Should I try to get the rest? I think these are some of the best of his giants from that period.

General painting note... I added a thin blue ink wash (Superman style?) to the newest giants hair & beard, and
think it really helped give the black/grey a bit of life and extra punch & contrast!

Post Tue May 23, 2017 12:04 pm

ZeroTwentythree wrote: Should I try to get the rest? I think these are some of the best of his giants from that period.

I for one would love to see that. I don't have insight into the full works of Tom Meier giants but if these are anything to go by then definitely yes. I love their physiques and expressions.

Lovely paintjobs to complement these characterful sculpts. The ruddiness of the faces are a nice touch, the booze glaze on the 3rd one being my favourite .
"We attack at dawn. The plan is victory." - unknown
Previous

Return to Painting Challenges