Er. GOOF. I guess.

Grumdril

I'm assuming we're all still up for this?

I've booked a table at the club for Friday and my logistics issues seem to be resolved, so fingers crossed I'll see you there from 6:30.

Just need to work out what forces I'm bringing now...

See you Friday,

Paul B

weazil

Yeah, I'm still game for this. I might also consider a change of force as I've not worked on my humans any further following a brief dalliance with both rogue trader and ww2. Anyone have any ideas on the sort of game they'd like?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Golgfag1

Really down to how quickly I can get away from work, but I'll be there ASAP.

As I've now reduced myself to a self-serving low-life (Half-orc) with a group of similar loathsome individuals, who are held in contempt by the rest of society, I'll be looking a scenario where these guys will be slitting as few as throats possible, for the most reward, sorry , but that's the character of the stuff I'm bring to this party :roll: !

See you there.

Paul / Golgfag1

Grumdril

So I have two or three thoughts -

Firstly I've included an invite on the table booking to see if anyone else wants to join us. I'm assuming we'll get no takers but there are a few people who've expressed interest previously and at least a couple of them don't seem to have anything else planned for this week so far. If there are takers then I'll either get them to put together a force or I'll lend them my orcs and I'll GM a 2 vs 2 scenario (with independent objectives sort of like before).

If we get no takers I'm thinking of a 3-way game with me GMing - mubo and Gaj if you can nominate factions it might make this a bit smoother but I think I have a plan where Golgfag1's thoughts will fit in with pretty much any other two forces (unless you both go for elves perhaps). My one worry about this is whether a 3-way will take longer but I think probably not, as I've a feeling that the same amount of thinking and chatting will be needed regardless!

I'll also bring my orcs so I could either team up with Golgfag1 again and we could do the random objectives as before, or even depending on what you bring we could mix up the sides (e.g. if Gaj and mubo were both chaos then any pairing ought to work, or maybe Gaj's Empire types have hired some half-orcs (although that wouldn't work if mubo was dwarves, for example)).

I ought to know by late tonight whether there are any takers for option 1, but let me know what you think generally.

Paul B / Grumdril

weazil

HI all

So, I have the following available with which to play:

My tiny Empire force you saw the last time.
A small collection of 6th ed high elves (you lot have seen them before)
Chaos
Undead
Goblins (that is, no orcs).

I have much more flexibility and interesting pieces on the 'evil' sides than the good, so I'd be leaning to a faction from the 'evil' lot... but, if you need good guys, I can bring elves to change things up a bit.

I was thinking of undead, but seeing how much greenskin love there is at the moment, I could easily switch to the goblins. Anyway, use that as you need to, Paul - let me know if you need me to bring any of those things.

Grumdril

Gaj - any of those evil / chaos factions would work. I get the impression that you're leaning towards the undead so I'll assume you're bringing them - they'd work especially nicely in fact.

See you tomorrow,

Paul B

mubo

Hello gents,
Sounds great- thanks Paul, GM efforts much appreciated!

I have:
A very small empire force

Dwarfs (lots)
Undead (lots)
Beastmen (~1000pts at a push)

Maybe leaning towards beastmen, they are a bit more fun than Dwarfs who just seem to stand around shooting things!

Grumdril

So we have half-orcs, undead and beastmen? Sounds promising! :)

I'm assuming you're all still happy with the aim of 750 points per side from the allies or mercenaries lists? A couple of thoughts on tweaking the chaos list into beastmen and also adding a bit of variety to the others if you want. Hopefully everyone's happy with these suggestions but shout if not!

• mubo - feel free to take a beastman, minotaur or beastman shaman as your leader and also add in those chaos hounds I know you're fond of if you like :)
  • Gaj - the allied list is just skeletons (including riders) and zombies - I'm wondering if you want to add anything more exotic in (within reason and points feasibility)?
  • According to the list undeads always have magic weapons so Paul and mubo feel free to have your leader take one also. Not that it should matter either way

Also mubo I'm wondering if you're generic chaos or followers of a particular power - I'm just wondering about the flavour for your objective. I'm not up to speed with these modern beastmen armies... :)

Looking forward to it!

Paul B

mubo

Grumdril":wbv79gkh said:
Also mubo I'm wondering if you're generic chaos or followers of a particular power - I'm just wondering about the flavour for your objective. I'm not up to speed with these modern beastmen armies... :)

I think generic chaos, lurkers in the dark forest making occasional raids. I imagine I'll bring broadly the same force, probably just dropping the centigors/centaurs. I might drop the magic user,and go for a more khornate theme.

mubo

Thanks for the game last night chaps, especially Paul B for the terrific scenario of the 2 headed Ox.

Grumdril

mubo - glad you enjoyed it. I've been reflecting on the scenario and the beastmen aspect seems to be the area where I'd made the main goof, so it's a relief to hear it didn't spoil it for you too badly.

Gaj and Golgfag1 - hope you made it home OK? Must have been a late one!

I'd be interested to hear any feedback that all of you have on the game, perhaps via PM? What worked best, what was your least favourite thing, any thoughts on where we go next (e.g. do we want to see more of the undead and the rock in the box)? I'm happy to pass the baton to someone else for the next time we all get together or carry on with it. Hopefully meanwhile mubo and I can get another game in before the month is up?

I'll do some pictures and waffling on my blog in the next day or so hopefully...

Speak soon,

Paul / Grumdril

Golgfag1

No problem with the journey home, apart from the the barn fire! Which the firemen appeared to be happy to leave to burn itself out, very pretty against the night sky. :grin:

As for the game - half the game, I didn't know what I was supposed to be doing, then again, having been in a exercise/battle - I know most of the time, one doesn't know what's happening; one just sits there & waits for something to happen - so, all to the good in my book. Once, I made a decision to make my own plan, everything fell onto place; would be interesting to hear Mubo's & Weazil's comments?

I've already posted a battle report, see - A meeting by the standing stones (A tight spot), think this is my first one :grin:

Paul / Golgfag1

mubo

I think it was a nice narrative, which is tricky to do in a three way game. The lack of an objective wasn't a huge problem, it was fun to have a bit of a chaotic situation.

I think the only issue I had was the decision to parley. It would have been fairly straightforward for me to wipe out the half orcs, (although you never know with all the spell buffs going on!). Which I think would have made sense from a narrative perspective, ie the bodyguards of the guy I was meant to kill, who had just taken two wounds off my general. However, I think from an entertainment point of view, Paul minght not have been in the game long, also Gaj would have had another 2 turns of shambling across the battlefield.

But overall, a fun game to play!

~~~

I actually have an idea for a scenario I would like to try GMing.

Orcs (Paul B) + goblins (Gaj) raiding an empire/dwarf/good guy (Paul D) settlement would be ideal?

Or any 2 vs 1 situation really.

weazil

I thought you handled the GMing very well. I think there were a lot of times when there weren't rules covering the things we wanted to do or not and invariably, one player wants you to see it their way and the other clearly doesn't and you're the knob for doing it. I don't think any of us felt like that and there were some interesting situations for sure.

To be clear, now that I have rocks in an box on an ox, I very much want to do great things with it.

But, I'm not fixed at all on that story being the next thing we do. I like the sound of Nick's suggestion and I'd happily pair up with Paul - in fact, as I recall - I've never been on the same side as either Paul ever. I should love to persecute one with the help of the other, using the unrivaled might of my goblins! Also, animosity is fun if you're doing it to someone else on your same side.

I say roll on, young Nick, and make us a scenario!

Golgfag1

Interesting stuff.

Happy to run with whatever Nick has in store for us, just tell me what you want me to bring - a thousand points of Empire? No problem 8-)

Paul / Golgfag1

Grumdril

I can bring anything, as long as it's orcs... I'm intrigued by Nick's plan, and raiding good guy settlements is one of my favourite things to do (ideally after the defenders have been all but wiped out by a plague).

Thanks for your write-up of last week's battle Golgfag1 - always interesting to see these from someone else's point of view. Between that and your various feedback I've done my own "GM eyes' view" of the game, a very different write-up than I'd have done without all your input. Hopefully you had something like as much fun playing the game as I did setting it up, I definitely have lots to ponder assuming you allow me to do it again one day...!

Speak soon,

Paul / Grumdril

Golgfag1

Nice Article Paul / Grumdril,

So, I was supposed to attempt to retire in good order, after my briefing note told me "reputation was everything" - In my defense - I did everything possible not to spill blood and walk away from a unprovoked fight without loosing anybody, such is life. If, any of the other players had asked me to step aside, I would have done so - at a suitable price, of course - such is the freedom of being a mercenary, but no one played that card, did they!

But, I have to agree with your comment on the night - it would have been interesting to see the results of any fight between the Half-orcs, with the spell in place, doubled by the effects of the Tor, ouch! ;)

Paul / Golgfag1

Grumdril

Golgfag1":4rowm9vf said:
So, I was supposed to attempt to retire in good order, after my briefing note told me "reputation was everything" - In my defense - I did everything possible not to spill blood and walk away from a unprovoked fight without loosing anybody, such is life. If, any of the other players had asked me to step aside, I would have done so - at a suitable price, of course - such is the freedom of being a mercenary, but no one played that card, did they!

Well, not immediately leg it as that'd have made for a dull game, nevermind making things difficult for your sales and marketing people. But definitely having one eye firmly on the exit!

I think my mistake was trying to do the objectives "in character" as per the style of the briefing introduction. In future I think I'll make these much more black and white, perhaps with points weighting rather than just a list.

In the end such was the confusion that your segment of the fight ended up about the closest to what I expected, but not for the expected reasons... Ah well, chalk one up to experience!

Paul / Grumdril

Golgfag1

Ladies & Gentlemen & all else in between,

Our we ready to have another bash, soon? 8-)

In hope

Paul / Golgfag1

mubo":2thqzvnf said:
I think it was a nice narrative, which is tricky to do in a three way game. The lack of an objective wasn't a huge problem, it was fun to have a bit of a chaotic situation.

I think the only issue I had was the decision to parley. It would have been fairly straightforward for me to wipe out the half orcs, (although you never know with all the spell buffs going on!). Which I think would have made sense from a narrative perspective, ie the bodyguards of the guy I was meant to kill, who had just taken two wounds off my general. However, I think from an entertainment point of view, Paul minght not have been in the game long, also Gaj would have had another 2 turns of shambling across the battlefield.

But overall, a fun game to play!

~~~

I actually have an idea for a scenario I would like to try GMing.

Orcs (Paul B) + goblins (Gaj) raiding an empire/dwarf/good guy (Paul D) settlement would be ideal?

Or any 2 vs 1 situation really.

mubo

Hello! Yes... sorry been busy. Unfortunately I am pretty busy for the next while too.

I know it's a way off, but what abut Friday 2nd June?

Obviously no worries if you gang can get together before then! I'm heading to BOYL too.

Back