Er. GOOF. I guess.

OGGS, GLOGGS, YOBBOS and other fashionable designer wear

Moderator: Moderators

Post Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:43 pm

Er. GOOF. I guess.

GOOF.

The Group for Oldhammer in Oxford on Fridays.

And by Oxford, I mean Abingdon. But GOAF didn't roll of the tongue quite so well.

Anyway, if you don't know what the hell this is, its actually the continuation of a PM chat between a few 'locals' in that region. If you happen to think that getting to Abingdon on a Friday night is something you can do, then you can be a GOOF too.

So, first order of business - the game on Friday, 20th of January.

Go.

Regards
Gaj
Regards,
Gaj

Always interested in contacting any gamers interested in Warhammer Fantasy 3rd Edition!
Also interested in any old 80's Citadel figures you may want to get rid of.

http://warhammerforadults.blogspot.com

Post Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:23 pm

Re: Er. GOOF. I guess.

Sounds great.

As mentioned on the PM I have Dwarfs (old hammer) and undead (new hammer- shocker).

In my games with Grumdril I have been using a beastman force, but would really like to use some Empire I have been working on. At the moment it's just a few flagellants, ogres and a wizard.

Post Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:37 pm

Happy to run with the working title,

May I suggest a small game, with forces of 500, 750 or 1000 points (?) with hidden objectives/tasks for each player and the bonus of pairing up and fighting a skirmish, without knowing the objectives of the other players - should make for any interesting two to three hours. ;) If, anybody else joins-in - we simply diminish the points allocation and add more objectives and tasks.

examples of tasks objectives - ensure the player to the left of your initial starting position main character survives / dies; Leave the table with as much of your original force via the table edge directly opposite you deployment area or simply you can't use magic!

peeked your interest?

In hope

Paul / Golgfag1
How can I ever have enough stuff, I don't need.

https://golgfags.blogspot.co.uk/

Post Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:28 am

I like this idea.

So, how about we each craft 600 pt forces (flexible on this - use it as a guideline, but rule of cool wins, right), two a side - making each side _about_ 1200 points. We should be able to churn through that in three hours, surely?

As regards the hidden objectives - that's a nice idea. Sounds like we just need to create a random list, which we draw out on the night?

Other Paul suggested the presence of a GM, which this route precludes (that is, four players), but I think that's fine. I'm dead keen on gaming this time (as opposed to GMing) - its been a long while since I got to do that.
Regards,
Gaj

Always interested in contacting any gamers interested in Warhammer Fantasy 3rd Edition!

Post Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:11 pm

In a pinch, we could use the 40k 2nd ed. mission cards as inspiration for missions:

Sabotage.jpg
Sabotage.jpg (24.97 KiB) Viewed 1201 times

Take & Hold.jpg
Take & Hold.jpg (27.77 KiB) Viewed 1201 times

Assassination.jpg
Assassination.jpg (24.43 KiB) Viewed 1201 times

War of Attrition.jpg
War of Attrition.jpg (25.93 KiB) Viewed 1201 times

Orbital Assault.jpg
Orbital Assault.jpg (25.37 KiB) Viewed 1201 times

Recovery.jpg
Recovery.jpg (28.61 KiB) Viewed 1201 times

Reconnaisance.jpg
Reconnaisance.jpg (25.22 KiB) Viewed 1201 times

Hold the Line.jpg
Hold the Line.jpg (25.1 KiB) Viewed 1201 times

Regards
Gaj
Regards,
Gaj

Post Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:49 pm

All this sounds great- thanks gents. I think Dragon rampant has some nice objectives like this (?) will take a look

I'm sure ~1200 points is doable in the 3 hour span.

Post Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:17 pm

This is all sounding good.

It'd be great if we can set it up so that no one really knows what the other players are up to (for example if we were using the 40K cards I imagine we'd want to set up all of the possible objectives - so one in both deployment zones and one in the middle, for example - so as to not give the game away that someone wanted a certain objective to be placed). Not that it necessarily matters, if the teams are A and B versus C and D then A might have a "capture objective" mission and C and D might both have missions that don't fail just because A has captured their objective. I'm never quite sure to what degree you want direct opposition (you do want a battle after all) versus something a bit tangential (so it doesn't become just line-up-and-fight with the winner then getting their objective by default).

The Dragon Rampant type quests are a further possibility, things such as "I shall strike the first blow" are more of the nature of tie-breakers (or might mean that someone who narrowly lost the scenario actually ends up with the most points).

Looking forward to it.

Paul B

Post Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:52 pm

As an alternative we could always play catch the rat, or any other small animal - drop half a dozen (6) rats in the centre of the table(one has eaten a magic stone), which scatter in random directions and continue to do so though out the game, players start at edge of table & try to the catch rats, when a rat is caught, roll a D6 on a 6 - you've caught the one with the stone, you've then got the leave the table with the stone and then the fun begins ;) .

Paul / Golgfag1

Post Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:49 am

Perhaps the first question to ask is:

2-a-side?

Or each 'on his own'?

or even - 1 vs. 3?

Regarding the objective, when I proposed the mission cards, I had the Ticket To Ride boardgame mission mechanism in mind - you can choose how many missions you want to take - each one you complete gives you victory points - each one you fail causes you to lose victory points. So, you can take 1, or 2 or even 5 missions, but you have to make sure you can complete them!

So, going with the above, I was envisaging a 2 vs. 2 game (I suppose typically running along the good vs. evil axis, but hey - red vs. blue is just as useful) where each side has drawn their own objectives (that are not known to their opponents).
Regards,
Gaj

Post Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:00 pm

weazil wrote:Perhaps the first question to ask is:

2-a-side?

Or each 'on his own'?

or even - 1 vs. 3?

Regarding the objective, when I proposed the mission cards, I had the Ticket To Ride boardgame mission mechanism in mind - you can choose how many missions you want to take - each one you complete gives you victory points - each one you fail causes you to lose victory points. So, you can take 1, or 2 or even 5 missions, but you have to make sure you can complete them!

So, going with the above, I was envisaging a 2 vs. 2 game (I suppose typically running along the good vs. evil axis, but hey - red vs. blue is just as useful) where each side has drawn their own objectives (that are not known to their opponents).

For chase the rat - each to his own then all take one!

Objectives - or known to each other?

Paul Golgfag1

Next

Return to Wargames Groups