Er. GOOF. I guess.

Grumdril

Gaj - yup, it's the function room at the Conservative Club - http://www.abingdonwargames.org.uk/join

The blue line on that map assumes you're coming from the town centre, assuming you're coming from the A34 it's a left instead - I'm sure it'll come back to you once you're in the area.

See you this evening,

Paul B

Golgfag1

Great to meet up with you guys last night and to play my first game of Third this year, we must do it again soon? :grin:

Hope to see the pictures soon Paul/Grumdril.

Paul / Golgfag1

Grumdril

A good time was had by me at least. Hope you all got home OK and at not too late a time.

Pictures will be up soon - if not tonight then tomorrow night.

My initial reaction to the objectives system is that it worked well (although some of us didn't pay too close attention to our objectives... :oops: ), but that the take-and-hold objectives were distinctly easier than the destroy objectives. Does that need allowing for in future (e.g. make them worth more) or is it just luck of the draw (you might get an easier or less easy objective)?

But yes, would be keen on another game when it suits you chaps.

Paul B / Grumdril

Grumdril

Finally a write-up on my blog - http://herebexp.blogspot.co.uk/2017/01/ ... mpire.html. I wish I could remember the name of Gaj's hero (or who won his fight at the end).

A couple of pictures here to whet your appetites, the crossroads settlement before...
coldVillageStart.jpg

And after...
coldVillageT7impMoved.jpg

Thanks again for the game chaps!

Paul B / Grumdril

Golgfag1

Thanks Paul / Grundril,

That is a very tidy little write up, with plenty of pictures and more than enough narrative given the amount of time & effort some of us (me) gave to organize the game, well done :grin: . Certainly better than I could have done :lol:

Paul / Golgfag1

mubo

Excellent work Paul! Thanks :)

I really like the idea of objectives, however obviously there is much room for improvement. I'm actually surprised how well printing off objectives from an entirely different game worked (Thanks Gaj!)

I enjoyed the "what is he up to with those boars?" debate, fog of war is fun to deal with. I'm sure if we put our heads together we could come up with a better/more achievable set of objectives?

How would everyone feel about putting another Friday in the diary? Perhaps in 4/5 weeks?

weazil

Morning chaps - nicely written up, Mr Paul - nice to see the woes of the Empire are so neatly etched on your mind as to remember every minor sordid detail of our tremendous failure.

I do think we could come up with much better objectives and a smarter method to implement them too. I look forward to our next outing! Sometime in Feb sounds ideal.

Grumdril

weazil":3a3dyxsb said:
nice to see the woes of the Empire are so neatly etched on your mind as to remember every minor sordid detail of our tremendous failure.

Phew, I managed to blag that then :) I fear I wasn't paying quite enough attention to the happenings at that end of the table, but a lot of your manoeuvres were fairly memorable. I must confess I was disloyally cheering on your attempts to charge into the wind blast, I thought that would've made for a great moment!

weazil":3a3dyxsb said:
I do think we could come up with much better objectives and a smarter method to implement them too. I look forward to our next outing! Sometime in Feb sounds ideal.

I'm sure we could. Off the top of my head I'm thinking of say some easier kill objectives (e.g. kill nominated opposing hero) while still keeping the harder ones in there as well. And any others we can think of (move your force off the opposing table edge, ditto for some slow-moving loot, etc.).

I'm wondering if for next time we go for a GM'd scenario, and then objectives again the time after that (I'm getting ambitous now!). Happy to throw my hat into the ring to GM, unless someone else wants to?

Paul B

Golgfag1

OK guy's, Pick a date towards the end of February and let's work towards it?

Also, do you want to develop a campaign out of these meetings of GOOF and if so how? Just one of my many musings on this type of thing. :grin:

Paul / Golgfag1

Grumdril

Golgfag1":9nzxc3vt said:
Also, do you want to develop a campaign out of these meetings of GOOF and if so how? Just one of my many musings on this type of thing. :grin:

It depends what you mean by campaign. If you mean the outcome of one battle has an impact on the next (such as injuries to heroes) then I didn't really have that in mind. I love the idea of a campaign, but I'm not sure how sustainable they are - I'd be glad to be wrong on that though.

When thinking what I'd do if I was GMing the next one I'd like people still to be able to pick their faction and force from scratch. If there was say an Empire and orc force in the next one it'd be good to tie it into some sort of narrative (perhaps the Empire have sent out a punitive expedition) but also introduce a new thread. Then the game after that might use those threads or might be something completely different. If there was only one common force from the previous game (or none) then it's possibly completely unrelated, or maybe the game after that will tie them back together again.

I've no firm idea on where we go from here it might be fair to say, but I feel it'd be good to not feel we have to commit to the same factions we chose for last week.

Paul B

Golgfag1

See where you're coming from Paul /Grumdril,

But I think the key factions should be - your good self (Orcs) & what ever Mubo is using (Dwarfs?), as It's myself (Dark Elves) & Weazil (Empire) who are the infrequent visitors to Abingdon and after last weeks showing I'd certainly like to turn-down the Dark Elves a touch. Especially, as I should have my attic back into some kind of order by the time we next meet and thus more choices available - How about some Goblin wolf riders to join the orcs? :lol:

Paul / Golgfag1

weazil

I've always liked the idea of narrative linked games - I honestly think this is the best way to create special characters that one really cares about - imagine if one of my characters had defeated the dark elves in a challenge - instant legend that I must preserve at all costs, and equally, something I can aloud over the dark elves for all time - an excellent narrative hook.

But I agree Grumdril's point around feeling committed and I think that's quite an astute observation.

Ultimately, I think we can (as wise, independently capable adults) negotiate when we want to do something different. I suspect golgfag1 is the only struggling with an oversupply of factions to choose from - the rest of us has ever to make do with one or two.

I find something like this is a huge motivator for painting - something that I guess I need right now. For instance, if I were to commit to an imperial force, it would mean painting the stuff I got for terror of the Lichemaster, so that's two birds with one stone for me.

But, we'd need to work harmoniously together to begin that narrative and allow for an agreeable narrative that could happen under many GMs over an extended period of time. Essentially, we all become joint story tellers and influencers of each other's IP as it were - something that takes surprising levels of trust to do. Are we prepared to allow another GM to create a scenario where the outcome could be the loss of our favourite character?

I am :)

Food for thought though - interested to see your opinions...

Golgfag1

Interesting stuff, I see our last game as a meeting of individuals with similar outlooks, but not necessarily in the same direction. So, all are hopefully happy to participate in this endeavour - to hopefully provide mutual benefits to the group; hence, if, this gets me playing more games; the other Paul to paint more figures; Gaj to work on his characters narratives & Mubo to ? - we all improve our meager lot within the communal world of Oldhammer, yes? 8-)

So, as far as the last games goes - the Dark Elves and Orcs combined their resources to raid a small hamlet somewhere along the border of the Empire; they've now gone their separate ways to cause mischief & mayhem elsewhere :twisted: . So, we now have a blank canvas to either run with the same or similar forces or draft-in new ones, the choices are yours gentlemen? :grin:

Paul / Golgfag1

mubo

Great to hear how this is developing. Would be very keen to have some kind of linked narrative between games.

I don't think we have to commit to a single player being GM- I'd be happy to (try to!) run a scenario for 2 or 3 players, then we can revert back to another GM next time out? unless someone is very happy to commit to a narrative campaign- seems like a lot of work for one person is all!

I'm actually away from the 11th-18th Feb, so perhaps the 24th or the 3rd March could work?

mubo

Golgfag1":3aozqwii said:
The 23rd works for me, anybody else - 600 points worked, so same again? :grin:

In hope

Paul

24th? Maybe we could try 750? I think that should run ok?

weazil

I don't yet know what my whereabouts will be for the 24th, but so far, that date looks clear to me, so I'll tentatively say 'yes'. I'll have tell you closer to the time which forces I'll be positioned to bring.

I agree with Paul's point around the key aggressors being grumdril and mubo because they are local to the club, with golgfags and my own forces as the 'allies'.

It also crossed my mind that it might be cute to create these smaller forces using the ally and mercenary lists at the back of the armies book as opposed to the 'full fat' lists in the front. It won't have saved me from the dark elves, but it does introduce some interesting limitations to tho forces. Although, I can also understand that some of us have painted figures that aren't in those lists. But, it might be a good place to start the lists and then graduate to the full fat lists as our endeavours grow.

Regards
Gaj

Golgfag1

Still looking good for the 24th, happy to run with seven hundred & fifty points from the Allies & Mercenary lists, am planing to use half-orcs as way of a change - anything else? 8-)

Paul / Golgfag1

mubo

24th still works here

(away for a week now, but will be back on the 19th if we need to decide anything before then!)

Grumdril

I'm up for this, but might have logistical issues. Count me in, I'll let you know as soon as I know for definite (which won't be for about a week I'm afraid).

Paul B.

Back