Cambridge meeting of OGRE. 29th September 10:00-10:00

Erny

Dear all,

We have a time (29/9/2013 10:00-22:00), a place (Cambridge wargames club) and nough able bodied Oldhammeres signed up. We just need to decide what to do with 12 hours Oldhammer gaming and to invite anyone else that feels they would like to come.

The event is free to use but is being paid for by the Cambridge club and we will be sharing the hall with others who will be playing their own games. One maybe two tables is therefore the most we could politely hope for (more if available of course). Joining the club would be nice but far from essential.

Possible games are:

Bring and battle, say 2000pts a side. This would restrict the number of forces to two or four but clearly not the number of players.

Realms of chaos warband games. Enough time to get a fair few campaign turns in, I could bring a selection of chaosy bits so those without could join in with newly raised warbands. Other peopel have expressed a wish to do this.

A senario, I could probably stretch to running the assault from Warhammer siege (just need to get one of my fortresses painted) or Forenronds last stand again.

Any other ideas.

PS I'll be at the club tonight if anybody fancies coming down.

bug16

I'll be bringing 2k of my Undead with me and 2-3k of Imperial Guard for Space Marine 2nd edition.

We could also do 2vs2 games with each player having 1k each of troops. I'm easy with whatever really.

I've started painting a chaos Warband that I was going to use as my sept/oct painting challenge and I can easily put together a bretonnians/ empire army. I just need to paint a couple of heroes and wizards.

Selkie

I can bring my orcs and goblins though I haven't had a chance to work out points yet - I would guess maybe 1500pts

I would also be interested in a realms of chaos game having missed the one at oldhammer day. Forenronds last stand sounds good too, ultimately, I am up for anything. :grin:

The other thing I feel I should mention is that I have virtually no experience of 3rd ed, I own and have read the rulebooks, and have played 6th and and little bit of 8th so understand the basic mechanics but people should expect to treat me as a complete beginner...

Don't worry, I'm in exactly the same boat. I've played loads of WAB some 6th edition and one game of 8th but I haven'y played 3rd in nearly 25 years!

Erny

That could be a good thing too. Easier to see truly naff rules. Ultimately I think we should be looking for 3.5 ed, weed out the necessary rules, replace with something easier or more fun but keep all the flavor.

I'll bring a few armies and warbands, my brother will probably come and probably bring his skaven and a war band. I took 1000pts of Orcs and dwarves to the club last night and we have another two interested parties from the club itself.

Selkie

Erny - Sounds like we have a similar philosophy in regards to any badly written/dodgy rules we come across so that's a good start.
Also nice to know that I am not the only one who has not really played before 8-)

Erny

My brother has confirmed his attendance so excluding chaps from the Club itself we have five of us attending.

To keep choices simple I'll be bringing 2000pts of Orcs and goblins plus my chaos warband.

My brother will be bringing his skaven and warband.

lenihan

Great, I'm really keen to come to this and envisage no problems. In terms of what I can bring, I won't have much painting time this month so if it's a matter of bring and battle I can bring my High/Sea Elves (or at least the contingent that's in Cambridge, some are still up in Liverpool), otherwise I'm happy to play with other people's minis for a scenario or whatever.

I'll have more painting opportunity in October so I can work on the fimir and swamp horrors then, so I'm not restricted to only bringing High Elves for everything!

lenihan

How's everyone doing? Looking forward to this weekend.

Just wanted to say, if we're doing bring and battle (and I'm obviously happy to get stuck in with pretty much any plan, scenario or whatever!), it would be really great if one of you chaps could bring a good/lawful/orderly/non-chaotic/non-smelly army for me to ally with. Would be good to have another oldhammerer fighting on the same side as me against accursed scaven etc... I don't think the forces I have at my disposal can deal with the threat on their own!

I'm bringing a Bretonnian army with me (providing I can paint up some characters by Sunday!) I can't guarentee they won't be smelly but they certainly aren't chaotic. How many points are we looking at? 2000?

lenihan

I haven't actually worked out the points cost for my forces yet, I suspect using what I have in Cambridge and without reinforcements from Liverpool it'll be closer to 1000 than 2000 though (maybe I'm underestimating? Need to get the calculator out), hence my thinking it might be good to join forces with someone else.

bug16

Unfortunately I'm going to have to bail from this due to unexpected work that will have to be done over the weekend. :( Have a good time all of you who are going!

Erny

That's a shame bug, catch you again soon though.

I'll be bringing orcs but could also bring woodies or dwarves, I know a fellow club member is considering bringing her dwarves I guess some of the other guys may bring stuff to. For quick games I'll be bringing my chaos warband and probably some rules I'm dabbling with for similar sized greenskin warbands.

My brother is coming and bringing his skaven.

I found that in order to play to completion on the first day of bring out your lead 2000pts was more than enough. If you only want one game I guess 3000pts is a possibility.

Erny

A bit of information about how to get to the club:

Address
The Scout Centre/Logans Way
Cambridge CB4 1BL, United Kingdom

Google Map Link
http://goo.gl/maps/VG1JN

There is a good amount of parking both in a small dedicated area and on the streets which are safe to park on.

See you there.

Selkie

Sorry guys :( Hoped I would be able to get there for a few hours at least but unfortunately I am going to have to duck out of this one too.
If anyone would like a small game on one of the normal club nights (I think it is on a mon?) then I might be able to sort something out fairly soon.

Anyway, have fun :grin:

Erny

Sorry to hear that Selkie but real life trumps hobby life.. there will be more days.

Just a reminder to everyone else you'll need to bring your own food and drink (there is drinking water but niothing else laid on).

Erny

lenihan

Will you be bringing your camera, Erny? Still don't have one, and would like to get a couple of pics of the games for battle reports, etc.

Back