Anyone for an: Oxfordshire Oldhammer Gamers (OGG)?

Harry

Golgfag. (Or any one else arriving early) When you get there. Practically opposite the Conservative club is a pub ... Called the Brewery Tap. As Luck would have it this past weekend they had a Beer festival at the Brewery tap. You will find me there enjoying a drop of festival Ale.

Harry

I went for my minimum Necromancer and unit of Skellies, then some cavalry for speed.

Level 10 Necromancer (85) 85
6 Death Riders w. lances ,Light Armour. Inc Std (25) 175
19 Skeleton warriors w. Hand weapons, Light armour. Inc Std (12) 240

Golgfag1

Just a quick post to all of you who turned up for our 'first' game and to say thanks for running through the scenario of "Get to the other-side" and forgiving me riding rough-shod through the entire concept of the game! But, it appeared to work and you all left the table with a smile :), one way or another. I'll post the photos as soon as I can, with a summery of what happened, because - I'm not sure what did happen, but you know - because you were there :lol: - So, forgive me, if I miss anything!

Hope the journeys home weren't too bad?

Paul / Golgfag1
(Note to self paint more chariots ;) )

If, I'd known you were going to be there that early in the day, I'd have been there sooner! :grin:

Harry":3gqn0w8j said:
Oh, I am in the Brewery Tap now. :grin:

Harry

I had a great time. I have had a really difficult week at work and it was wonderful to get together with such fine fellows and laugh so much. Thank you all. Special thanks to Paul for running running such a fun game ... and allowing the mayhem to flow.

Grumdril

So, the important question is, when's the next one? Presumably from there we can work out the who and the what.

Did I get the impression we're thinking of doing this roughly monthly? Our calendar's fairly clear on Fridays for the forseeable future, so the earlier I can get this booked in the better my chances with the exit visa :)

Drjones007

Thanks for the great time guys. I expect that I'll be in Oxford ever five or six weeks, so you can expect to see more cavalry and much, much more 'tactical' cowardice in the future. To be honest, it was a joy just to show off minis and roll some dice with everyone involved. Can't wait to see photos!

Golgfag1

Sorry Guys still not done the write-up yet, but here are a few pictures to keep you happy. :)

Paul / Golgfag1

Attachments

• Get to the otherside 001.jpg
    Get to the otherside 001.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 1,639
  • Get to the otherside 002.jpg
    Get to the otherside 002.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 1,639
  • Get to the otherside 004.jpg
    Get to the otherside 004.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 1,639

Harry

Drjones007":36au4jnu said:
Thanks for the great time guys. I expect that I'll be in Oxford ever five or six weeks, so you can expect to see more cavalry and much, much more 'tactical' cowardice in the future. To be honest, it was a joy just to show off minis and roll some dice with everyone involved. Can't wait to see photos!
As you have a bit further to come ... if you let us know the next date you are in the UK ... and maybe we can try and fit in with you.

Golgfag1

So, what do you all want to do next time, Chase the Rat? :)

As for when - I'm off work the week before Blog-con (Building community bonfire and all that) so, how about the 1st November or is that too early?

Paul / Golgfag1

Harry":2gugbf2k said:
Drjones007":2gugbf2k said:
As you have a bit further to come ... if you let us know the next date you are in the UK ... and maybe we can try and fit in with you.

Grumdril

It's never too early!

I'm off on 1st Nov too. On account of it being half term I imagine we'll have something planned for the day, so not 100% if that will work out or clash. I should be OK for the evening though.

Next time around I was thinking we should do something more straight-forward-ish, perhaps (depending on numbers) a 2-sided and a 3-sided scenario, linked in some way, then the outcome feeding into the following game. No idea how the "plot" on that would work though :)

And, given the date, there probably ought to be some undead involved somewhere (Harry?).

Paul / Grumdril

Grumdril

Another, probably better, thought occurs. How about a two-sided game, with 2 players on each side, plus (gasp!) a GM? I'm thinking an early GW style scenario where the two halves of each side have vaguely aligned but slightly divergent objectives. If we do get together again on the 1st I won't have nearly as much painting done as I'd like, so I'd happily GM.

On the other, other hand I'm sure we all have plenty of ideas of games we'd like to do, so let's stick them all in a pot and see what bubbles to the surface.

Harry

Here is a thought ....
If we are thinking of getting together on the 1st ....
On the 2nd November is the "Night of the Living Lead" all day Saturday Halloween game. (At my house)
GROG (Gloucestershire Retro and Oldhammer Gamers) could extend and invitation to OGG and we could make a day of it?

Jimbobodoll

Thanks for the fantastic night of dice-rolling and model-shuffling last Friday. Much envious/curious looks from the historical wargamers around us. :grin:

It was a great scenario for a first (proper) meet for a new group of wargamers, so thanks for Paul for organising it and putting it on!

Golgfag1

Interesting :) , tell us more :?: As I've not been following that particular thread - will go and read now.
OK, now read your idea Harry.

Now, How do you want this to run - Friday night at Abingdon (preliminary skirmish - missing sheep/ sorry goats etc! Also gives those of us who can't make Saturday a chance to take part) and at your house on Saturday? (Full on assault). On a personal note this means I get two weekends on the trot of Oldhammer :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:
Harrys idea

"Its a BRILLIANT PLAN!

Our basic idea was that the Players would be Necromancers. Raising as much undead as they can as fast as they can (getting increasingly powerful as midnight approaches) to achieve certain objectives ... artifacts to recover, allies to release from tombs etc etc.

We plan a Necromancers deck of cards with the various goals and other random events thrown in and we draw a new one every hour so an increasing number of objectives come into play as the game progresses and the Necromancers must split their forces to accomplish as many objectives as possible.

I think we just liked the idea of the completely random unfolding of events.

All the action would be based around a small human village who would basically be trying to survive the night whilst this battle went on in and around their village. They will basically be AI controlled trying to protect their homes and not really aware that the artifact hanging over their fireplace is of crucial importance to the necromancers.

Not sure how that fits in with the overall scheme but as our ideas flesh out we can post them on this thread and see how they can all be woven together".

Paul / Golgfag1

Harry":22ueg108 said:
Here is a thought ....
If we are thinking of getting together on the 1st ....
On the 2nd November is the "Night of the Living Lead" all day Saturday Halloween game. (At my house)
GROG (Gloucestershire Retro and Oldhammer Gamers) could extend and invitation to OGG and we could make a day of it?

weazil

Unfortunately, I won't be able to make the 1st, but it sounds like you chaps have a good evening planned...

Back