Anyone for an: Oxfordshire Oldhammer Gamers (OGG)?

OGGS, GLOGGS, YOBBOS and other fashionable designer wear

Moderator: Moderators

In Dreamfish we trust
In Dreamfish we trust

Post Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:09 pm

Re: Anyone for an: Oxfordshire Oldhammer Gamers (OGG)?

All sounds fine to me.
What time are you going to be there?
Are you saying the venue is available before 7:00?

Post Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:22 pm

Golgfag1 wrote:... if a unit of light cavalry were to tripe move from the start line six inches in from the table edge, they'd travel the length of the table in three moves ...

'Ark at 'im and 'is cavalry! :) Some of us spent BOYL marching a dwarf and his heavily armoured accomplice around the enormous RoC table, and I'm still scarred by the experience! :)

More seriously I think something, like your suggestion, which makes proper use of having a GM is more Oldhammer than the "get the thing in the middle" scenario, and is worth a try. As long as there's fighting involved though, rather than just walking, and against the other players rather than the random creatures (who I feel should be speedbumps rather than the point). We'll hopefully have plenty of opportunities to do both scenarios though.

In Dreamfish we trust
In Dreamfish we trust

Post Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:57 pm

That was my thought too. Took the whole weekend at BOYL we barely got on the board. :D
Moving figures in a straight race is not much fun.
Getting into a scrap with the other players is the fun bit.
Movehammer : Bad ... Warhammer : Good

Post Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:14 pm

Look, if you lot think it's going too easy, start fighting amongst yourselves, not a problem - I'm sure that at some stage in the proceedings something WILL turn up and hit you! :lol:

Paul / Golgfag1

:oops: Sorry :oops:
Last edited by Golgfag1 on Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:32 am, edited 3 times in total.
How can I ever have enough stuff, I don't need.

https://golgfags.blogspot.co.uk/

In Dreamfish we trust
In Dreamfish we trust

Post Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:11 am

@Paul

Harry wrote:All sounds fine to me.

Post Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:32 am

Sorry Harry I didn't answer your questions - I'll be there just after six, just to start setting up ASAP, official start tine for the club is 7:00pm but guy's are there earlier, but that's down to whoever is there!
I'm also now a member of Abingdon Clubs Yahoo group - so will post a message telling them what we're doing.

Have now had a few more thoughts on developing the scenario to give reason for why such a mixed bag of ruffians, scallywags & miscreants might have gathered together, will post more later tonight!

Paul / Golgfag1

Harry wrote:@Paul

Harry wrote:All sounds fine to me.
How can I ever have enough stuff, I don't need.

https://golgfags.blogspot.co.uk/

In Dreamfish we trust
In Dreamfish we trust

Post Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:37 am

I was thinking of giving my undead a run out ... in preparation for The Night of the Living Lead ... to remind myself of some of the rules.
Does that fit in at all with you ideas or would you prefer me to turn up with the viking /amazon combo I had at BOYL?
I quite like the idea of the undead shuffling along never allowed to take more than single moves ... except for some specific troop types ... ethereals? cvalry? Chariots? Having to split my force between those going for the prize and then get back to the shammbling mass shuffling along in as rienforcements.
Let me know what you think.
H

Post Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:23 pm

Hey Guys,

An old friend of Jimbobodoll's here. I live over in Paris, but I'm hoping to make periodic trips out to London and Oxford for work (and a spot of gaming, of course). In any case, Jimbobodoll mentioned that you guys were getting together next Friday and it just so happens that I'll be in town. I'm a long time WFB player and have been passively painting up a 3rd edition Brettonian army for some time now. I would love to bring along if you guys have the space :) I'm game for whatever is on tap — so long as I can throw back a drink or two and push ill-fated plastic men around the table.

I've just got to get over the shame of bringing my mini case on the Eurostar :roll:

Post Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:08 pm

Roll up, roll up, the more the merrier! :)

One for Golgfag1, but I'm wondering whether Brets might more suit the "defender" role (instead of orcs & goblins), as the rest of the warbands are chaotic / evil (chaos, Skaven (I'm assuming), undead)? Although I'm not sure what Gaj is bringing...? On the other hand in 3rd ed Brets aren't necessarily good guys either, so perhaps your warband makes the inhabitants of Moussillon seem like fine, upstanding citizens.

Grumdril

Post Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:13 pm

You're not wrong Grumdril! I think I warmed up to 3rd edition Brettonia precisely because of its wildly skewed moral compass. I'm actually running a post-crusade themed force, which is in some ways doubly exploitative. I mean, beyond the soul-crushing mechanics of serfdom (which characterize Brettonian chivalry, in my opinion), the Araby crusade theme gives me the chance to rollplay a force of xenophobic, half-crazed cutthroats. Although I may be taking it a bit too far. My "rascals" aren't serf-levies at all. Rather, they're underfed, completely unequipped Tilean and Arabian slaves. Not that mercenaries, slavers, and turn-cloaks can't play at being the good guys from time to time; if we're fielding mostly chaotic/evil warbands then I might just eek it out on the scale of lesser-of-many-evils.

@nottheflowerofchivalry
PreviousNext

Return to Wargames Groups