Anyone for an: Oxfordshire Oldhammer Gamers (OGG)?

OGGS, GLOGGS, YOBBOS and other fashionable designer wear

Moderator: Moderators

Post Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:20 am

Anyone for an: Oxfordshire Oldhammer Gamers (OGG)?

Hello there,

With the regional groups springing-up on this board, I wondered whether there is any regional interest from the Oxfordshire area?

We've a group to our left (Gloucestershire) and a group to our right (Greater London), but what about us in-between?

Personally: I'm in Oxford myself sitting on a soon-to-be-complete 3rd edition skaven army, plus copies of HQ and Ad.HQ... Anyone else out there?

EDIT: I've just noticed this chaps who meet in Wolvercote (who play WFB in addition to historical wargaming): http://www.oxfordwargamessociety.org.uk ... tions.html
Anyone from there on here?

Post Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:47 pm

Re: Anyone for an: Oxfordshire Oldhammer Gamers (OGG)?

Count me in.

There's also what seems to be a fairly active club in Abingdon, who play both WFB and WH40K, but I assume are unenlightened - http://www.abingdonwargames.org.uk/.

Edit: Seriously unpainted orcs and goblins here, with plans to branch out into dwarves and various other bits and bobs.

Chaos God of Nudehammer

Post Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:26 pm

If any of you wonderful people in Oxford fancy a little trip to Watford for a game on a Wednesday night I'm happy to help and play you :)

Post Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:50 pm

@ Grumdril: Did you see their sweet-sweet terrain though?

We're talking 3rd Edition Fantasy Rulebook detail-level terrain!

There are certainly options afoot then...

The problem with Watford (and was it Stroud in Gloucestershire?) Is that Oxfords almost equidistant between them. It's over an hour in the car each way as well... Whereas nice little Abingdon is just down the road from Oxford with Wolvercote even closer...

EDIT: *WUT* ...Then of course there's this club in Summertown Oxford, which despite me living here for 8 years, I'd never noticed... http://www.oxfordgamingclub.co.uk/ and they even have their own Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/OxfordGamingClub?filter=3 ...Plainly I've been spending too much time at work... :?

Post Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:55 pm

Count me in.

Paul / Golgfag1

PS any of you chaps attending Colours, Newbury and if so, fancy meeting up? In fact this goes for anybody.
How can I ever have enough stuff, I don't need.

https://golgfags.blogspot.co.uk/

Post Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:14 pm

Wonderful! That makes three of us then. I'm planning on heading over to the Summertown group on Monday evening to check it out. Will post back on here after.

In related news: My buddy from Paris visited the past two days, and much advanced heroquest fun was had... It's actually really really hard! Character options and combat is a bit limited though...

Post Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:33 pm

...Headed over to the Summertown group. It's full and healthy in terms of numbers, variety, boards and terrain. I saw games of flames of war, 40k, bloodbowl, fantasy, and warmachine/hordes. Apparently that was a 'quiet' night as well as no students in town. It seems pretty tourny orientated though... There's a £15 yearly sub, plus fees for both playing and watching(!) that are slightly reduced if you're a member... That said, it's a big healthy group of players with some proper organisation (treasurer, secretary etc). This includes an opponent-finder on their forum for people to arrange games for the week(s) ahead.

Post Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:50 pm

Sounds promising.

Do we roughly agree on what we're looking for here? My thought is primarily we'd like a venue with tables available, some potential new blood / convertees would also be a bonus.

As long as the attendence fees are reasonable I have no problem with that, although the "watching" fee seems short sighted it's probably the only practical solution if you're trying to administer the playing fee. My only question would be on a busy night whether there's any problems over table availability, did they give any impression on that?

What are our next steps here? Probably first priority is to meet for beer as per Golgfag1's suggestion :) If we could then arrange a few games to play at the venue to have fun / show them the Oldhammer way / see what they think of us and vice versa then perhaps we can start to think longer term?

Paul / Grumdril

Post Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:30 pm

Hello Paul/Grumdril,

I reckon we might be over-complicating things here. Why don't we just try and pinch a table at GW one games night (they do still have those don't they?) for the first couple of weeks?

My primary concern is that the Summertown group are going to want to see £17 up-front (minimum; and from each of us[!]) the first time we rock up - and that's quite the dis-incentive for an initial get-together.

In hindsight, I also wonder about a mis-matching ethos between us Oldhammer-ers(sp?) and this Summertown group. The two guys (out of three) who run it and whom I met seemed advocates of power-gaming for sure, and there was certainly quite a few unpainted armies floating around and talks of up-coming tournaments etc. If nothing else, I'd imagine that obtaining converts would be a tough job from such a crowd no? Questions such as "What's the name of your general?" and, "What could be a fun made-up rule to cover this unexpected eventuality?" didn't seem to be the kind of thing on their minds...

Re: Table availability: Can't imagine that there'd be a problem to be honest. The place is pretty big with lots of spare space and facilities. We're not talking some piddly room here, but a large community centre.

Beginning with beer is an excellent first step however! We can sort things out from there for sure. Having a laugh and creating some good stories is what it's all about really.

Cheers,

Jim

Post Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:34 pm

I've just gained a problem with Monday evenings, my daughter wants to go to Ballroom dancing lessons and yes, you guessed it - I'm the lift, deep joy. So I'm more than happy to switch venues and give the 'power' gamers a miss. How about Abingdon on Friday evening (if I recall that's when they meet at the local conservative club)? But how about just meeting up and having a chat & a pint?

Paul / Golgfag1
How can I ever have enough stuff, I don't need.

https://golgfags.blogspot.co.uk/
Next

Return to Wargames Groups